Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2016

Who pays for the Hen?

Sondy, 6 of August of 2015 at 17:00 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello!

I'm pretty clueless over here having never been to anybody's hen do. My friends are located in opposite ends of the country so I'm going to end up having two hen dos - one in the north and one in the south. A friend of mine is dying to organise my northern hen and has already had some ideas. How do things like this work? I don't want to put people out of pocket at all but at the same time, I have a really tiny budget. Who pays for the hen?

Any advice would be great.

12 replies

Latest activity by Fleur88, 7 of August of 2015 at 19:02
  • Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

The hen's I've been on, the ladies have all paid an equal amount, usually for transport, a meal, a couple of drinks, and I think there's an extra few quid added for the bride so she doesn't have to pay for herself.

Some places offer a group discount so I'd sort your numbers for each, find out what you want to do and set a limit for how much you want people to spend.

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Panda-gill ·
    • Hide content

My hen was last weekend and although I'd of been happy to, I didn't pay for anything! My amazing CBM put a little extra in and the rest split it all and my lovely mum bought my meal. Another hen I've been to we all split the hotel etc and the bride just bought her own meal xxxx

• Miss-b
    Beginner August 2016
    Miss-b ·
    • Hide content

The two hen do's that I have been on, I paid for myself, but not sure if the Hen paid anything!

One time we went to Bournemouth for the weekend, I paid about £200/250 i think, which seems like a lot, but this included accommodation at hotel for 2 nights, a nice civilized meal one night, a stripper show and some drinks the second night and transport, so I didn't think it was too bad! Plus we had plenty of notice and we were able to pay the MOH in installments if this helped us out.

The second time we did a cocktail making class which cost about £15 each, plus drinks on the night (I didn't need any extra after all we got included in the cocktail making class) and then usual of a night out, taxi and kebab lol

Personally I wouldn't mind paying a portion towards the bride, so that she doesn't pay for herself (which I am assuming was done when we went away for the weekend) as everyone would be doing it, and we are doing the hen to celebrate her and her impending nuptials.

I hope this helps! xx

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

Generally everyone would pay for themselves and sometimes the cost of the bride is split. I think it depends on whether the bride has organised it herself or BM's. I wouldn't have asked my friends to pay for me but my BMs clearly didn't have an issue with it as I didn't pay for anything all weekend LOL!!

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

I think it largely depends on who is organising it and what you're doing. I have been told in no uncertain terms by my bms that they won't take any money off me and as they're planning it I don't really have much choice! I will make sure I sneak my debit card out and buy a sneaky round of drinks or two instead!

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

I've paid towards mine and I'll be paying for things there as well - I'm not sure what is traditional but most of my close friends who are coming aren't well off, and I don't want them to be struggling to afford it! I'd much rather pay for everything myself and have people be there and not worrying about money.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I've never been on a hen where the bride has been paid for, we've all paid for ourselves.

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not paying anything towards mine. The hens are all paying for themselves and for me! They decided this! ?

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

When I organised my friend's hen, I paid for her ticket (we went to the Adonis Cabaret in London) as I was her only adult bridesmaid. I split the cost of the mini bus between the girls so that she didn't pay for transport.

I think it depends on what you're doing. I have already discussed my hen with my bridesmaids and we are thinking of going to ibiza for four nights so I am going to pay for myself. X

• M
    Beginner May 2016
    MissAtoMrsB ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 2 hen do's too, I've paid for myself for the 1st one (ticket to Aintree races Ladies day next year) and I'll be paying for my own drinks/ food etc. And my other hen is abroad to Marbella (eeek!) so I'm 100% paying for myself there and then everyone just pays for themselves too. I'm pretty sure my bridesmaids and friends/family have a few things up their sleeves from the sounds of it but no one is asking for any money from me for this, I'd happily pay though. And I'll be making sure I buy each and everyone of them a couple of rounds of drinks to show my appreciation for coming.

It really does depend on your circumstances, I'm not well off, but with my hen(s) being next year it gives me plenty of time to put a bit of money away each month so I'm prepared.

I'd personally say offer to pay and then if they refuse, maybe it gives you some money towards treating them when your out if you like so you don't feel bad?

Good luck on your planning Smiley smile xx

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

It depends... I organised my friends a few years ago and NONE of her friends were getting back to me, so I had to say to her she would have to pay for herself as I couldn't afford to pay the full amount for her. Luckily it was fairly cheap.

When I organised my SIL earlier this year we included her cost in everyone else's cost but again it was fairly cheap.

My H2B is having to pay for himself as his stag do is getting ridiculously expensive (£185 on flights alone!!!!)

I'm lucky enough that 2 of my hen do's (don't ask) are being paid for except my drinks... and my spa day I have paid for myself. As someone else said, I fully intend to buy a round of drinks or something to show my appreciation - My SIL didn't put her hand in her pocket once the whole weekend which peed me off a bit, just a token of appreciation!

• Fleur88
    Beginner March 2016
    Fleur88 ·
    • Hide content

I am having my hen do fairly local to where I live and I am paying for my own, as quite a few of my friends will have travel costs from various places around the UK to deal with. Not only that, but they will have to travel again 5 weeks later to attend my wedding and all the costs that will incur for them as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics