Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner June 2024 Wiltshire

Who should give me away?!

Vicki, 24 July, 2023 at 12:10 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 4
Hello, so I’m having a bit of a dilemma. I lost my real dad. I have a step dad who has been amazing to my family and a brother who has obviously always been there and that I’m close to. I want them both involved in the wedding somehow but don’t want to upset either by picking one or the other to give me away! I don’t think we’d physically have room at the venue for them both to walk me down the aisle. In my heart it was always my brother who would give me away but my step dad has honestly been so good to us so I feel bad if I did that and I’d definitely want some kind of special role for my step dad to? They will definitely both do speeches, it’s more the ceremony im thinking about. Any ideas/suggestions about how to handle this?
Thank you!

4 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 28 July, 2023 at 09:33
  • Kerri Risbey
    Curious August 2023 Gloucestershire
    Kerri Risbey ·
    • Hide content

What about your brother walking you down the aisle, if this has always been what you wanted and your step dad be witness? Both are important roles and means your step dad is very much involved Smiley smile

• Leah
    Curious April 2024 Kent
    Leah ·
    • Hide content

I would suggest your brother walks you down the aisle and your step dad as a witness of yours, you could have them both at your 'first look' too before the ceremony. If your ceremony is non religious, your stepdad could do a reading at the ceremony (either personal, or a poem etc)?

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I seen a tiktok before where one walked down half the way and then the other joined in. I appreciate you say it’s not a big enough aisle for two so maybe one could walk you half way and then the other joins and replaces, that way they both get the moment.

I can’t relate as I haven’t lost my dad and I can’t imagine how difficult that is. Although if it was me I’d feel more compelled to have my brother.. just because he is my dads offspring and I would feel close to having my dad there with me, if that makes sense x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If your brother has always been the one you imagined walking you down the aisle, then ask him. I'm sure your stepfather will understand - after all, your brother does have your dad's genes, so it will maybe feel more like including your father in the moment.

As PPs suggest, you can get your stepfather to be a witness, do a reading or a speech, maybe even travel to the ceremony with you and your brother - there are loads of ways he can be very much part of the day without doing the actual aisle walk.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics