Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner May 2010

who walks down the aisle first ?

tanya nicole, 8 March, 2010 at 19:54 Posted on Planning 0 34

Who walks down the aisle first the bride and brides father or the bridesmaids ?

tanya x

34 replies

Latest activity by Blackkat, 9 March, 2010 at 20:54
  • KristaltippsHall
    Beginner February 2011
    KristaltippsHall ·
    • Hide content

All but one of the weddings I've ever been to, the bride came first then the bridesmaids, however my best friend fought tooth and nail with almost everyone for her BM's to go first, and it was lovely. I think it should be that way cos then people go "ahhhhhh dont they look pretty""WOW - she looks amazing"

And at the end of the day, were meant to be the centre of attention right?

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I've been to weddings with both. I think it is just down to preference really. Is bridesmaids first the more american way of doing it? It's up to you really.

I went first when I got married.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I've been to weddings with both, BMs first is more american but no reason why you can't have it.

I prefer it myself as I think it's a bigger build up to you coming in, I went to a wedding last weekend and the bride was halfway down the aisle before anyone realised!

• M
    MsCheerful ·
    • Hide content

I think its more common for the bride to go first as all eyes will be on you. But I suppose it can be either way, wchihever you prefer yourself x

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids are going first- I want them to all have their 'moment' too.

• L
    Beginner February 2011
    Lucy137 ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of bridesmaids going down first too. like Laura said, gives them their moment before all eyes on the bride! also, think it'll be nice to have a sec just with your dad, without BMs!

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the bridesmaids go 1st. When my mum got married a few years ago she went 1st & we followed her but we (the bridesmaids) were stood up for quite awhile & all anyone could have seen was our backs as we must have obscured everyones view of the bride & groom.

I aslo want my flowergirls to throw petals for us to walk on (cheesy but I've always wanted to do it!)

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too!! I want the flowergirl to go first, then 2 smaller bms then cbm then meeee!!!! Im making paper snowflakes to be scattered with the petals. Maybe cheesy but I dont care!!!

I have a question too - Im having my 2 yr old nephew as ringbearer. Does he walk down with the bms or wait with the groomsmen???

• Chez2k
    Beginner October 2010
    Chez2k ·
    • Hide content

I will be having bridesmaids first. Then me and my dad. I

I was maid of honours at my friends 18 months ago and we did it that way as well.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I too am having a ring bearer i am going to have him walking down after the bms infront of me. I am not having my actual rings tied on his pillow though we are getting some cheap ones o go on his pillow in case he takes them off, loses the pillow, runs out of the room, refuses to walk down etc etc

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Probably me first as i'm having "here comes the bride" so would look odd if i didn't come in first.

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

At many COE weddings, the vicar walks in front of the bride and her father, almost completely blocking the view of her, with her following bridesmaids. Most civil ceremonies I've done, it's been done both ways, the registrars aren't bothered. If you are marrying in a church, the officiant will tell you how they do it. I had an American bride a few years ago, who insisted on doing it the way she'd always dreamed of, and the vicar wasn't very happy about it.

Being American, I will stick up a bit for the American way, because it does showcase the bride more. The bridesmaids do enter first, one at a time, one after the other, but each waits until the one before reaches the front, and they stand to the left side in support of the bride, and mirroring the groomsmen on the opposite side. Then if there are flowergirls, this is when they enter. Once all bridemaids have entered, usually the music either changes for the Bride, or it gets louder, and that's when everyone stands. Up til the bride enters, everyone is sitting.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I want bridesmaids then me, this will all depend on whether at my venue you can see me at the top stood their waiting to walk! If i'm hidden then bridesmaids first. I'm going to struggle with my little bridesmaid as she is 4 and my only little one and she doesn't really know my big bridesmaids (met them a couple of times and know their names! but that's about it!). If she doesn't want to walk alone, her dad, the usher/brother will walk her down. I don't mind as long as she doesn't run off!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I'll be having the BMs go first. This is an American thing but I think it makes good sense. Lets the BMs get noticed and builds anticipation for the bride.

If the bride comes first I don't think anybody bothers looking at the BMs after that....lol

• T
    Beginner May 2010
    tanya nicole ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to everyone for your replys,i think i will have my flower girl(daughter 5 years old)page boy(but we call him an usher as he thinks hes to old for page boy hes 12)will walk down first holding hands and throwing petals then my three adult bridesmaids then me and my dad,also another question when do i throw my bouque for the girls ?tanya x

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

You may want the bouquet for photos, so usually my brides do it in the latter part of the day at the reception. Often just before the first dance.

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my bridesmaids walk in first too, and I'd heard this was the "American way" too, but I just completely prefer it. I want everyone to see their lovely dresses and also I quite like the idea of the build-up to my entrance! ?

I'd not thought about changing the music though once they've all entered. That might be something to consider to make my entrance even more seperate.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

My flower girls will be walking in before me - if myself and my dad went first, there would be no one to tell them when to go / what to do so there is a chance they wouldn't make it in at all!! ?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Wow - I've just looked at Teri Murakami's photos on her website - what a talent you are! Just beautiful. I've got in touch via your website.

My inclination is to have my BMs go first but I guess I'll have to see what the vicar says!

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can see this happening too! My niece (4) doesn't know my big bridesmaids so I doubt she'll go near them! I can see her having a paddy at the top of the aisle and refusing to walk down! So one her own first, or with her dad! Actually I'm not that bother if she doesn't walk down the aisle and just sits at the bottom on the aisle colouring in pepper pig books sitting nice and quietly!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Hmm - I do like the idea of BMs going first and as mentioned I could change the music!! Hmmm. This has made me think!

Not sure how the BMs will feel about going first but I do like ? Will have to have a think.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just when you think that you've got everything planned and decided, hitched comes along and makes you go hmmmm!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly the stance I am taking with mine! I am not saying how they have to have their hair or anything - I can't be do with potential tantrums on the day so as long as they are relatively well behaved and wear the pretty dress, they can do what they like! ?

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm getting entertainment for her, colouring books, stickers and these will be in her seat for her to play with. She doesn't have a clue what a wedding is, she's never been. She also thinks my OH is her boyfriend not her uncle. If you ask her what's happening Me, her and My OH are all getting married. She is not a bridesmaid, she is a princess. Princesses wear pretty dresses. And her only request is that princesses wear crowns so she will be requiring a tiara or some sort! We had a serious (!) conversation a few months ago, it went:

L: You know when we're princesses

Me: Yes, we'll wear pretty dresses

L: Well princesses wear crowns

Me: Yes they do...

L: Well I can't be a princess without a crown so I need one.

I'm happy if this is her only request!

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

Think I would likt the BMs first. that way it is a bit of a buildup to me!! but as a few of you have said it would be nice for the other girlies to have a wee moment of the day when they get the attention. the aisle of my church isnt long either so its not gona take all day!!

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

I love you guys, lol. I have picked up so many Britishisms, so it tickles me to see some of you considering the 'American way', lol. One hitcher who did this on her own, with the music change was Monkey Mavis, if any of you knew her. She had the bridesmaids enter to the music from Love Actually, and they entered in pairs, there were 4 in total. When they all reached the end, and the music faded, MM entered with her dad, and the new music was the theme from Star Wars,, it was brilliant! That's her hubby's favorite movie, he had no idea she'd arranged the music like that, he even brought his light sabre to cut the cake, lol. So don't be afraid to try something that has some meaning to you. Monkey Mavis (Claire) is the wedding on my site with the pink maggie victoriana dress. gallery name is claire and darrell.

Thanks Cricket! Are you up in Oxford? I'm guessing because we had three emails today, and the oxford one sticks out in my mind, lol. David should be replying soon, he was just telling me he has emails to write, lol. Thanks for the comments, that is our new site, and I've been working to finish the content on it. More images per wedding and weddings to add!

Teri Smiley smile

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

One of my nieces informed us that she would be wearing her 'Belle' dress (from Beauty & the Beast) at the wedding! ?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

That's me, Teri! David's email has just come through, thanks.

Will chat to himself tonight but I have to say, I think the photos are beautiful.

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

Hey Cricket, I will keep my fingers crossed your other half agrees with you, lol. Thanks again!

• A
    Beginner
    abeja_reina_1989 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters, although I have always seen the bride walk in last..

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't actually thought of this at all!!

Will defo be doing BM's and FG's first after reading this though....

Lxx

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Well, at myyyyyyyyyy wedding.......

t'was the minister that walked down the aisle first.....

(teehee)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics