Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kirstycat
Beginner April 2011

Who walks down the aisle first?

kirstycat, 14 January, 2011 at 12:40 Posted on Planning 0 18

I'm sure when my sister got married (which is 20 years ago!) she and my Dad went down the aisle first and my sister and I followed as bridesmaids.

But now it seems more usual for the bridesmaids to go down first and the bride to come last - to make more of an entrance I suppose.

I'm confused!

18 replies

Latest activity by Strippy2011, 14 January, 2011 at 15:31
  • M
    Beginner June 2011
    MISSMAYFLOWER ·
    • Hide content

I think its down to personal choice. I am going down first and my bridesmaids will follow so they can a) sort out my dress and b) I am the first thing my OH and the guests see walking down the aisle

we discussed it with our vicar and he didn't like bridesmaids first either as it detracts from the bride so we're going wiht that but its whichever you feel most comfortable with i think

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

We have a relatively short aisle and I love my entrance song so want to hear as much of it as possible, so, (hopefully) I'm having my page boys and flowergirl first, followed by my BMs then when they are in their seat, me and dad will walk down.

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

I think it is more of a personal choice nowadays, am still undecided, but at the moment swaying to the idea of my Bridemaids/Pageboy going in 1st, that way everyone gets to see them and what they are wearing, as if i go 1st no-one will really notice them?!

Sorry, not much help am i!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

The 'bridesmaids first' idea is an American invention, and is becoming more popular over here.

Personally I think in a church wedding the bride should go first, purely because of tha space issues and the shape of a traditional church, but for a civil creremony it depends on the venue.

I'm having this discussion with my OH too, I'm still undecided but he wants the BMs to follow as 2 teenagers, one girl and one boy entering the venue together might look a bit weird. But then our 'aisle' is about five paces long, so I guess it doesn't really matter!

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, yeah, we're getting married in a hotel so for "aisle" I really mean the short bit of carpet that runs between the two sets of seats!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

My church is very strict on this - me & my father walk down the aisle first then the bridal party.

I wouldnt have minded the bridesmaids going first - would stop everyone looking past me to see what colour they are in LOL

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I want my bridesmaids going first, 2 at a time. My 'aisle' is tiny so I need to get the Bridesmaids out of the way and standing at their seats before I come in lol.

• Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking sending the two FG down then

BM but my slight problem is i have 3 bridesmaids someone will have to walk

down on their own unless i get another BM

then me with my cousin who's giving me away

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've got 3 bridesmaids as well, and what I'm hoping to do is send my pageboy down first, then 2 of my bm together and then my cbm on her own then me and my dad. I want them all in their places before I go down!

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Couldn't each BM walk down on her own - just one behind the other - that way they all get their 'moment' in the spotlight and one doesn't feel different from the other two. Unless you've got a CBM in which case I would say she should be the one on her own

• Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've not got a CBM after a huge argument with my best friend (of 11 years)

She thought she wasn't CBM so she kicked off over it my other 2 BM are my SIL2B Who are very very lovely

I think i'll just send them down one by one

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I've got 3 BM as well and think I'm going to send them down one by one. That is as long as the page boys and flower girls are ok to go down on their own (will be 15 months, 3 and 4), otherwise I may have one BM to hold the hands of one child at a time

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Oooh...thank you. I love the idea of bridesmaids walking down on their own. I've got three bridesmaids as well and wasn't sure what to do.

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

I've got x1 Pageboy (son), who i plan to go 1st

Followed by x2 Flowergirls, to go down together

Then have x3 BM's (x1 one is CBM) as am thinking of getting them a Wrist Flower (can't think what there called) instead of a bunch of flowers, i was thinking of getting them to walk down on the arm of an Usher (we have 3 ushers).

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That would be so cute!

• JonCraven
    JonCraven ·
    • Hide content

Theoretically, your OH and his Best Man should walk down first, because if they're not there when you walk down you're stuffed!!!

(Only joking, as it's Friday!)?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I didn't get a choice. My Bridesmaids first and then Me and my Mum. Gave me a chance to grab a breath ?

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

English/British tradition is for the bride and father to go first and then the bridesmaids. American tradition is for the bridesmaids to go first and then the bride Smiley smile x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics