Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2011

Who wears the matching suits?

LallyHay, 27 July, 2010 at 07:28 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi everyone,

Last night I had a 'debate' with my H2B about which men should wear the matching suits. We are only having a small-ish civil ceremony, so had originally agreed he would have one best man (his brother) and I would have 2 bridesmaids. We were plannng on hiring H2B, BM, my brother and the 2 dads matching suits. Last night H2B decided he also wanted 3 ushers, in matching suits. My concerns are that our dads will look like ushers and not stand out, the ushers won't have a job to do (we have a Toast Master included with the package) and the additional cost. What are your views on who should wear the matching suits?

Any info much appreciated. x

12 replies

Latest activity by Jelly_Bean, 29 July, 2010 at 16:06
  • Kalie85
    Beginner
    Kalie85 ·
    • Hide content

We are having our ushers in the same suits. I would like to think that people wont get confused as 2 of them are my brothers and the other 2 are fairly young and our dads are quite distinguished!! Our ushers will have a job to do as we are having a civil ceremony and a blessing so they need to guide people and seat them. If you're on a budget and by the sounds of it wont have much to do (its alright for some!) I think it would be ok if they just wore a nice suit with a tie to coordinate with your colour scheme and give them a button hole just to make them stand out a little.

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

We are hiring matching suits/waistcoats etc for H2B, BM, Usher and little Pageboy (awww). We don't really 'need' an usher either as we have a toastmaster but my best mate is male and I couldn't leave him out! The two dads are going to be wearing similar suits but not the waistcoats.

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

We are having matching suits and cravats etc for groom and best man but paige boy and ushers are having the trousers and waistcoat from the same suits with no jacket but we are going to roll the sleeves up on their white shirts and give them skinny ties instead of cravats so they look really trendy. the dads are getting their own suits but they arent allowed to clash with my colour scheme! lol x

• grace85
    Beginner February 2011
    grace85 ·
    • Hide content

We're having H2B, both dad's and one of the best people (other one is female so she's wearing something different)

If we were having ushers they would have been in the same suit too.

x

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I suppose there is not a right or wrong to this. But when I am advising customers in the shop I tend to advise to stick to two different outfits and it is up to them on who wears what. So one of these types of configurations:

a) Outfit 1. Groom Outfit 2. bestman, FOB, FOG & ushers.

b) Outfit 1. Groom, bestman Outfit 2. FOB, FOG & Ushers.

c) Outfit 1. Groom, Bestman, FOB Outfit 2. FOG & Ushers.

The difference between outfit 1 and 2 does not have to massive, some couples decide that the difference is just a a tie or cravat. Some decide to change the whole outfit. Most tend to wear the same suits but change the accessories (waistcoat and neckwear).

On the subject of Ushers, I am an usher soon for my friend and I was an usher last year too, on both occassions I was asked to wear my own suit (one black , one brown) and given a tie to wear.

Thanks

Marc

• mrsjbw2b
    Beginner August 2010
    mrsjbw2b ·
    • Hide content

We e having matching suits for groom, best man , FOB, my son and my 2 brothers, the groom is having a different coloured cravat

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

We didn't hire suits (D refused to get married in a rental and i'm not keen on wedding suits and everyone matching). We just told the guys to wear a dark suit and we gave them a matching tie. My Dad had the same tie in a different colour and his Dad just wore what he wanted (he didn't want to match). It looked fab!

How about getting the 3 ushers to wear a suite they have and buy them a tie in the same colour scheme (i'd say the colour of the bridesmaid dresses) and get tham a buttonhole? That way they're defined as being party of the bridal party without too much cost to you. FYI - our ties cost £7.99 (tie shop on ebay) and buttonholes were £1.50 so we paid under £10 for the men's outfits ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

We are having 140 at the church so quite a big wedding.

My Ohs best men, OHs dad, my dad, my step dad and his nephew are all going to wear matching suits. We offered my brother the chance but he declined!

I think that paying £100 to hire a suit is a tad excesive but I think that if i'm going to have a prof photographer then I want them all to look right.

They say you should have an usher for every 25-30 guests in my wedding planning guide but we don't have any.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We'll have Mr CB, his BM, our three ushers and our dads in suits. No idea what they'll be yet though. That's on his list so will invariably be left until the last minute!

• S
    Beginner
    Smuggle ·
    • Hide content

I always thought it was tradional that the Groom, Best Man, Ushers, Page Boy and Ring Bearer had matching or at least themed suits.

We just diffrenicated them and their roles with different coloured cravats and waistcoats.

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

Groom is wearing a different colour waistcoat to the other Groomsmen. The bestman, ushers x 2, FOB, FOG, and Pageboys will wear the same suits. ?

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    Jelly_Bean ·
    • Hide content

We'll be having Groom, BM, FOB, FOG and two ushers all in the same suits, even down to the colours of the waistcoats and cravats....H2B doesn't like the idea of him wearing a different colour to distinguish himself from the others, and seeing as he's the one wearing it I'm letting him do what he likes! However, I don't think there's really a right or a wrong way, whatever you and your H want will look great Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics