Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BoroKate
Beginner September 2010

Who's growing their hair long for the wedding

BoroKate, 9 May, 2010 at 21:53 Posted on Planning 0 16

I usually have medium length straight hair - just above my shoulders and had the bright idea of growing it for the wedding so I had more of a choice of style. I've been growing it since October and have regular trims to take the dead ends off. I don't think I can stand it much longer, I hate me with long hair!!!

I have to wash it every day otherwise it feels dirty even though it doesn't look it. It's really frizzy and takes so much longer to sort out than short hair and takes ages to dry. I never wear my hair up so I have to straighten it every day, I've always done this but it takes a lot longer with long hair. I also feel that it looks very lank as the weight of it is dragging down so it has no volume. How can I last another 4 months like this for the sake of one days hairstyle?

I've told OH that I'm getting it cut short again the week after the wedding and he's gutted cos he loves the long hair. Well at least one of us likes it?

Please give me some motivation to keep growing it and not sneaking off to get it chopped off next week!

16 replies

Latest activity by BoroKate, 10 May, 2010 at 18:12
  • Ellie_S
    Beginner March 2012
    Ellie_S ·
    • Hide content

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! ?

my hair is in a longish bob at the moment not touching my shoulders yet. growing it n then if i want it cut short for the wedding or styled i can do it anyway because i will have enough hair ? otherwise i will be having an updo. keep going you have so many options with longer hair xxxx

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Think of the end result. But if you're happier with it shorter then go for it. Or maybe compromise and have it between both lengths.

I was meant to be growing mine tried a different hairdresser and he hacked a good 2inches off it and gave me a proper fringe. Grrr. was not happy!! So desperately trying to grow that out again!

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

It's well worth it if you can get exactly the style you want on the day without bits being too short and feeling insecure. I did exactly the same thing and was REALLY fed up with it by the time I got married. So glad I stuck with it in the end though. And it was a real treat to go and get it all hacked off after we got back from honeymoon!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I want long cascading curls so am growing mine, it's quite long now (just below my boobs!!!) and because it's quite fine but there is a lot of it it's really heavy and pulls down on my head with no volume! I am quite lucky in that my hair is quite controllable in the straightening no frizz aspect but I am finding now that I am getting tangled up in it! It gets wrapped round my neck!!! I can wear mine up though and do for work, otherwise I would go insane!!!

Having said that, I haven't had it cut since December 2008!!! Not even a trim!!! Naughty Mrs C!

December 2008 on the left - February 2010 on the right...

Excuse my drunkeness!!!

• H
    Beginner
    honesty ·
    • Hide content

I have grown mine but still not long enough so i have bought some clip in extensions, i know think why did i even bother when i could of just bought these to begin with lol

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

im growing mine 2!! i hadf got a short bob cut in oct 08, and i LOVED it! then was asked to do bm the week after i got it cut so was growing pretty much straight away. Im loving it long again tho!!! i love the messy bun and go!! you should do that sometimes maybe!!!

• kenzie3
    Dedicated August 2023
    kenzie3 ·
    • Hide content

Meeeee.....an im at an stage where i can't do NOTHING to it......an it's doing my head in, ive not had long hair for 3yrs now i chopped it off when i left a controlling EX, i must admit though i do regret it now its just on my jaw line and diffrent lengths, my sisters a hairdresser and she trims it for me to help it grow otherwise i don't think id bother, but with long hair you can do so much more stles......so KEEP GOING!!!!!! x

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

Mine all depends on which dress I get. I currently have a bob style but don't know whether to grow it or not

• diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content

Ok probably not what you want to hear but I agree with Sange. If you are just going to get it all lobbed off straight after the wedding than why bother for one day. I don;t get the whole I am growing my hair for the wedding thing at all. I wanted to look like me on my wedding day and long doesn't always equal the best for you .... but hey ho just my opinion.

ETA - OK you are probably thinking what random just wandered over here and posted that. Used to be on WP last year and now over on BT. Good luck with whatever you decide to go for.

• snap
    Beginner June 2011
    snap ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

im buying them too, I am going to keep it longer than usual but my hair is so thin when it gets long it looks crap Smiley sad

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

I'm growing my hair, but i used to have it pretty long before and then experimented with layers, fringes etc. been growing it for about a year now but kinda annoying cos i've still got some layers that are quite a bit shorter, and the ends are getting quite frizzy and straggly. need a trim for sure. i think it'll definitely be worth it, especially as i want my hair half up half down. stick with it cos it'll look lovely in the pictures. maybe if it's getting in your way, try having it up on a daily basis? that's what i do now and it makes my life soo much easier xx

• H
    Beginner December 2010
    Han85 ·
    • Hide content

Im part of the "attempting to grow hair gang" but also wanting to chop it all off! Ive had short hair for the past few years and love it. But i want to be able to put it up with out a ton of hairspray holding all the straggly bits up.

I understand the comment about not being you if just growing it for the wedding day but i think its nice to have the option of putting hair up.

I have told my hair dresser not to listen to me if i rock up and say cut it all off. Mine is just above shoulders and so im not sure if it will even be long enough come december to even put up.

Good luck with the growing :-)

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the encouragement girls, I'm still resisting the urge to chop it all off. My hair must know I'm sick of it cos its behaved itself today for change!

Sange & Diamonds - I should probably explain that I prefer to keep my hair short as its more convenient on a day to day basis. On my wedding day I still want to be me but also want to feel special. I LOVE my hair when its curled - makes me feel bubbly and confident and thats how I wanna feel on my wedding day IYSWIM. But I need my hair long so it can be curled without it looking like an afro.

Diamonds - don't worry I didn't think you were sme random, I recognise your avatar from when I 1st started posting on here?

Claire - how weird is this but my hair flicks out on the right side - we may have a half decent haircut between us both?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics