Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

miss.understood
Beginner February 2011

Who's not having hen or stag do's?

miss.understood, 22 October, 2010 at 12:52 Posted on Planning 0 20

..well we're not lol.

We discussed it, and really just can't be bothered. What we did decide on was having a get together with close friends at our house, about a month before the wedding, a good spread of food and lots of drinks and music. Ok, so going on our last party...the neighbours really aren't going to like us lol Smiley tongue

Just wondered if there are any other couples not having hen or stag do's?

20 replies

Latest activity by yummymummy05, 23 October, 2010 at 21:12
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I'm not planning on a stag do - can't be bothered with it meself.

Personally, I disagree with the whole concept of "celebrating your last bit of freedom", and as I don't do alcohol anyway, there seems little point wasting my time, other people's time, or money, in celebrating something I have no desire to celebrate as I won't be changing my behaviour at all once I'm married.

• miss.understood
    Beginner February 2011
    miss.understood ·
    • Hide content

Yeah me and the H2B don't really drink these days, but for this occasion i may have a couple glasses of wine Smiley smile x

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

Probably not me either. I suppose it sounds a bit dull but I think I am a bit beyond nightclubs and such now and as for male strippers, well thats not my bag either. Knowing us we will probably toddle down our local together for a quick drink with friends but it certainly won't be a raucous affair. Maybe I am just getting old and boring.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not at all. You're just not the sort of person who wants that kind of thing.

Not that I was ever really into it anyway...

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nah, you're not old and boring.

My H2B is going away camping for the weekend with his brothers for his stag night, he doesn't like clubbing either. I'm sure bottles of JD will be involved though...

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a hen do but not the "epitome" of the stereotypical dressing up etc etc

Myself, the BM's, my mum and a few close friends will be going to a spa for the weekend and get totally pampered...

Not sure about H2B though, he may have a "proper" stag do, not his idea of a good time but I think he may get kidnapped by his friends and my sons... eek!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have made it very clear to all involved that if anything like that happens, I will use whatever force is necessary to escape, and anyone involved will be banned from the wedding.

I have a very low tolerance for such disrespect for a person's wishes.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

To be honest Rich would be more than happy with a meal at Indian restaurant that our friends own, a few beers at the local pub and that would suit him fine but I think he may get wrapped up in all the arrangements one of his friends and my sons are cooking up... then again he may put his foot down and have what HE wants. He knows I'm doing the spa thing and is more than happy with that.

He's not keen on me going clubbing and vice versa, by the time we get married we are going to be in our 40's and not into the clubbing scene.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I don't want a hen do all my friends live miles and miles away and i would rather they saved their pennies, I am planning on an afternoon of punting on the camb with some fizzy and strawberries with my mum and sisters and then a facial and a nice meal. I do not go out get drunk and hate fancy dress, also i do not consider myself single and free.....

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I completely understand people not having one and its personal choice, however, i do disagree with it seen as a celebration of being free and single and last night of freedom and all that jazz. I think things have changed for most people regarding that view and it is now seen more as a last night out with your mates before you get wed. Nobody has to cheat or make an entire t*t of themselves :-) We are having a joint one and its more about us all getting together as friends to celebrate our forthcoming marriage. I have specifically said i will NOT be partaking in any dares, etc. Such a party pooper ?

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

Where not having eather we have 2 small kids and neather of us realy drink so we will prob go for a famly meal some time befor the wedding

• atlonglast
    Beginner November 2010
    atlonglast ·
    • Hide content

To be honest i just can not be botherd with a hen doo. The amount of stress posts i see on here because so & so hasnt booked/comfirmed or paid their spot. So i would rather spend that little extra on the wedding instead.

We have been together for so long anyway and nights out are really very rare, not much of a drinker and usually the first one home to bed...lol. Would much rather stay at home with my wee family.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

we're not - its both our 2nd wedding and neither of us "care" about having dos..! my family live too far away and at my age I have a couple of close mates but they are going to be at the wedding anyway.

So probably just spend time at home with OH may just 2 of us go out weekend before for a nice meal before the chaos starts

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 2 hen do's, my OH is having a stag weekend and we are trying to sort out a sten do too, oh and we are having a pre wedding party for those people who are not invited to our actual wedding(small intimate affair and not enough room) but I grew up with !! My first hen is with my mum, OH's mum etc and close friends (those going to the day part of the wedding) where we are going for an amazing meal and doing something else Food/alcohol related, whilst my second will be my girls from work and prob some of my mates again going out in town. OHs weekend is a fishing and outdoor sports weekend. Our pre wedding party is a champagne tea party to fit with the theme of the whole wedding. Personally I dont see my hen as a might to go and cheat on my OH or celebrate my last night of freedom more a time to just have fun with my girlie friends in a way in which once i am married i prob wont get to do as much. Not because my OH is controlling but more because I dont think a married woman crawling home is really appropriate (not that i have ever done that but I hope you know what I mean).

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    CSayer ·
    • Hide content

This is brilliant, I thought we were the only ones not going to bother!! ?

We're not into clubbing, there's no way I'd be forced to be dressed like a tart with cheap bunny ears and a fake satin sash and forced to get so drunk it ruins the rest of my week!

We're having seperate meals out with very close friends and family. I'm also going for afternoon tea during the day. We're not big drinkers and a good night out for us is nice food, good company and a good glass of red!

We#re on a reasonably tight budget anyway and are having a meal with brothers/sisters/parents the evening before the wedding anyway so there's no point wasting money on forcing ourselves to "celebrate the last night of freedom" on a hen/stag do - what a horrible expression! if you think you're going to be trapped for the rest of your list you shouldnt be getting married!!

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    Marylou-lou ·
    • Hide content

I've arranged 2 hen nights and both were completely different as the brides were different. The first was for my sister and I arranged a nice weekend in Edinburgh. Champagne and strawberries on the train up (during rush hour) no T shirts or fancy dress though! A nice meal in a posh restaurant once up there and quiet drinks - nothing too overambitious or drunken.

The next was my best friend. Bearing in mind she had never had the girly holiday she always wanted, I booked for 8 of us to go to Marbella in April. It was a lovely quiet affair, nice meals, a bit of sun and some sight-seeing. We didn't fall into the Brits abroad category (I hope not anyway). Both times the B2B enjoyed it.

For me, Well I don't know! I'm the one used to organising such things!!

• N
    Beginner
    nikki81 ·
    • Hide content

We're prob not having one either, might go for a drink with a few close friends but thats about it.

Neither of us really drink much these days, more than happy with a quiet night in and a take-away

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Well, I'm not having a 'typical' hen do, I do like a drink now and then but I'm not your down a lots of drink and round it off with a couple of shots kind of girl so its going to be a nice meal out, some nice wine, laughter etc for friends, sister and mum. I think H2B will probably have some kind of stag arranged for him, his mates will definately do something stupid lol!!

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Sawah ·
    • Hide content

At this rate i probably wont have any friends who will actually turn up and will end up just being let down so im iffing and arring whether have one or just have a spa day with my mum and sister

• yummymummy05
    Beginner November 2010
    yummymummy05 ·
    • Hide content

I had a hen night and H2B had a stag night. I wouldnt say that we took it as our 'last night of freedom'. More of a get together with friends before the wedding.

I went out clubbing (well, i say clubbing, we went to the Birdcage in Manchester and watched the shows they put on). My Mum and H2Bs mum came as well so i wouldnt say it was the typical 'out on the p*ss, last night of freedom do. (Although, i think the photos tell a different story ?) I organised my own hen do and had it exactly how i wanted it. I was never one for going around the town, getting drunk when i was younger. (mainly because i met H2B when i was 17 and had our son at 18 - but thats another story). I wanted a good night out for my hen do - and got one.

H2B made it a day thing with the lads and went to the races. He was home by 12 o'clock at night as he just couldnt handle it all.

I'm happy with the way both hen and stag do's went and wouldnt change them.

Its peoples personal opinions at the end of the day and you do what you feel comfortable with. If people dont want hen/stag do's then its their decision and i respect that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics