Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mummymrs2b
Beginner April 2013

Whos setting everything up for the wedding/reception?

mummymrs2b, 10 April, 2012 at 18:50 Posted on Planning 1 19

I'm in a pickle about who actually sets up things for the wedding? I'm looking at favours and table decorations and cake etc etc, but we're getting married there then out of the room, for drinks reception before going back in for wedding breakfast. So who sets up? It's not like I can go in the night before and do it as the room will be set up for the ceremony. Only way I see round it is booking both rooms so that it can be set up night before but that means more expense. Does the venue usually sort this or can you hire someone in to do it? What are you doing or did you do regarding setting up? Xx

19 replies

Latest activity by 50's pin up bride, 6 June, 2012 at 12:20
  • laurenjones
    Beginner September 2013
    laurenjones ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure your venue will do it for you, ours is doing ours for us. I would love to do it myself on the morning and make it all pretty but the venue said they will do it for us. My friend that got married got a cardboard box for each table and put the centre piece, favours, name places etc for each table in each box. xx

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

My venue is doing it for us as we're having the same room for the ceremony and the wedding breakfast. They said I could come the day before do a "mock up" table of what I want the tables to look like which they'll then copy on the day.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

The venue will do it for us if we leave everything clearly labelled in a box and so on. Or I can do it myself on the morning before starting to get ready. But there is a chance I may be able to do it myself if the weddings in the run up before ours are small, as the rooms can be partioned off so I could technically set up on Friday morning ready for Sunday if the Saturday wedding doesn't require the whole wedding breakfast room.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

What kind of venue is it? If they have staff surely they will do it? As oppose to if you were hiring a hall and doing everything yourself. I would hate to have to lay tables and faff about!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Were doing ours the day before, its a local guildhall and they arent booking it out the day before so we can sort it all out. I had visions of OH having to do it the morning of the wedding and I'm far too much of a control freak for that. I want to see it all finished and pretty, then I can relax!

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

We're another village hall wedding so decorating the day before. I am a total control freak so am happy to do this. Having said that I'm sure that any venue used to hosting wedding will do a lovely job on your behalf.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I've just put another post on here about being miffed at the reply from my venue. I decided to email them after a few said the venue probably does it. With a reply that they do the centrepieces if you choose the ones included in the price but other than that it's at an extra cost for them to just put it out?! X

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

My florist is doing the centrepieces, chair cover lady is doing the draping and chair covers and Sherrie (HIB) is doing our venue dressing. The staff are laying the tables, putting out favours name cards, lighting the candles and clearing away all of the hired items into a locked room for safe keeping after dinner.

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

We have from 11am on the day to set up our 'village hall'. Good job it's a late ceremony!

• C
    Beginner November 2011
    Catx1606 ·
    • Hide content

If you're doing it yourself, I'd do it the night before. That's what we did and there just wouldn't have been time on the morning of the wedding.

• Perfection Weddings
    Beginner March 2012
    Perfection Weddings ·
    • Hide content

We as a venue decor/chair cover hire company usually do all the setting up for our brides. But the venue do normally put out the stuff we dont provide

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a bit of an odd attitude from a venue - and a bit tight!

If it comes to it, let the venue do the crockery, glassware and napkins, and then get some trusted friends and family to put out the centre pieces, name cards, table plan and favours etc. Do a mock up of the table beforehand, take photographs and let your helpers have copies of it.

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

Venue will normally do it but if they won't could you have a word with your florist to see if she would mind doing any extra bits and you just give her a little extra?

For us, we have hired a lady to put sashes on our chairs (no covers required but thought the sashes would tie the room in with our colours), she is going to do this and swag the tables and has said that if there is anything else she wants us to do, she will happily do it for us. So for us, the venue and her will do it between them as we've got a few extra bits aswell as the centrepieces such as window sill decorations, sweet buffet etc. My plan is to mock up everything at home and take a photo of it so that they can see exactly how we want it all to look, then box it all up with the photo's and lists and leave it at the venue.

The cake lady will deliver and set up the cake.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I hired a wedding coordinator for on the day

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    Elodia ·
    • Hide content

I was concerned about this as a control freak. However, the hotel has said they will do, I am considering getting in a venue dresser though. They are going to be providing the chair covers and sashes! It is very scary.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have the ceremony in the same room but our venue set ours up for free, I just sent my dad's partner down in the morning to "check"!

When we were looking around the coordinator advised us that they set up for free and that there was no charge for lighting candles... I thought this sounded a bit odd until I found out a venue nearby charged £5 per candle if you wanted them lit!!!

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

We're decorating our evening venue (village hall) ourselves the day before. For the wedding breakfast and church, OH is nipping up there to do it himself the morning of the wedding - it'll only take 10 mins to put everything out at the restaurant (wedding favours being dropped off by the cake lady at the same time and they have the place names on as tags) and it'll take about 15 mins to do the church.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics