Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2013

Why do churches charge so much

suebanana, 5 July, 2012 at 21:43 Posted on Planning 0 25

I really really want to get married in my local church where all family events have taken place including my parent's marriage and where my dad's ashes are plus it is beautiful to boot, yet we were shocked when we found out that the Parish had added £350+ on top of the basic church fees, making it nearly impossible for us to afford it ie £700+ (not including bell ringers etc), add to that the Church of England is putting their fee up next year by over £100 ... and up again in 2014.We are having to rethink our budget and the church is one of the largest expenses now we have to consider.

My reception venue is stunning - for a reception venue - but its not the historic interior I would like if we're to have a civil ceremony. If i'd realised just how tight our budget was going to end up (due to circumstances more recently than when we started planning the whole thing) I would've chosen a different all in one ceremony venue where we could also have the reception.

I just don't understand how the Church can charge nearly £400 for a Vicar for an hour tops. Its a summer wedding - we don't need the heating on and the church isn't lavish. Its a small village church.

I have already saved money buying my dress off ebay to save money !

25 replies

Latest activity by Jo33, 7 July, 2012 at 17:34
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Getting married is expensive!

It will cost just as much to have a civil ceremony. We are paying the registrar £450, £70 to give notice (the equivalent I reading the banns) and £675 room hire for the ceremony. So that's even more than a church.

Some registry offices are cheaper, I think totally around £350 fr a small ceremony room on a weekday.

Obvioulsy the getting married is the most important part of the day and what you need to budget for before even starting looking at dresses/party venues etc.

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

Why have they added £350 on ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Surely you're not that short sighted?

Wedding venues charge that and then some just to hire the room you have the ceremony in!

Unlike hotels, churches aren't making profit - that money goes back into the upkeep of the church. Yes, your wedding may well be in the summer but that doesn't mean it doesn't need cleaning, the grounds don't need tending etc.

It actually cost us more to have a civil ceremony (room hire + registrar fees) than it would have done to have a church.

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

I am guessing that is for a organist and or choir as the basic fee is around £400 ish i think ... I know when i get married its £460 ish as i am in a different parish i need 2 lots of banns read.

Tbh if i am right i dont think you are getting a bad deal at all. I know that its cheaper for me to get married in a church than a civil ceremony.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

It really surprises me that the cost can vary so much. The basic wedding fee in our church (i.e no organist, choir etc) is £280. You'd think there would be a standard fee across the country with the 'extras' varying between churches. Have they given you a breakdown of the cost? Could you do without some of the extras?

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

That seems about right. We're having our wedding in our local church, which isn't very big either, and we're being told that it's about £460 now, but it will rise (we're getting married in 2013) but our vicar isn't yet sure how much by.

I guess you have to decide on what's most important for you. Personally, I wouldn't ever consider a civil ceremony, so whatever the church asked for, I would probably pay. But don't forget, you don't have to have it all - there are optional items in there (like the choir, flowers etc).

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

My civil ceremony is costing more then that by the time you pay registrar fees and venue hire. Sadly weddings are expensive the cheapest option is a registry office but would not be much different to the cost of your church.

• Trouble_gb
    Beginner September 2013
    Trouble_gb ·
    • Hide content

I'm budgeting £1500 to get married in our church but this will include bells, choir and organist.

Still I didn't think it would be that expensive and was quite surprised.

x

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you really, really want to get married in the church then the cost shouldn't matter to you. After all this is the most important part of the day (though you seem to have booked the reception venue before the church). I agree with others that civil ceremonies can cost just as much, if not more. And if this is a church that you love, then you can take comfort in knowing that what you pay will go to looking after the church and grounds.

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

All info is here Smiley smile

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/your-wedding/the-cost-of-church-weddings.aspx

Its what my church linked me Smiley smile

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Churches are pretty cheap when you think of the alternative.

Without sounding rude, I don't know why people make a big fuss about the cost of the church. The church is THE marriage. It's the part where you say your vows and "I Do's". I would have paid £4k for the church if that's what it would have cost (although I'm extremely glad it didn't!)

You can get a dress for £200, you can get flowers on the cheap, you can have your reception in a village hall. Everything else can be as cheap as you want.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our registrar fees are nearly £700. That doesn't included ceremony room hire, that is just for the registrar to come out and marry us.

WSS. Most churches are historical buildings that need constant maintenance. They don't make a profit from the fees.

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

You are paying for the vicars time, there are volunteers who tend the grounds tidy up after you, pick up all the left oos, clear the confetti away that people throw even when told not to etc...

You pay a fee for the vicar/ church of england as you would for a registrar and then you are paying for 'venue hire' as you would anywhere else.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

As with all things in life it's about making choices. If the church is important to you, it will rank high when you're budgeting.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I also don't think this is reason enough to get married in church.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Either you want to get married in front of god, in which case you'd pay the earth to do so.

Or you want to get married in a pretty building with some tradition, in which case you work out how much you want to spend doing that.

Or you choose to get married in a civil ceremony/building, which costs just as much.

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    MsGrant2be ·
    • Hide content

I understand you being shocked, we are getting married next May and have just booked our local church, altogether we are paying just under £650, we also want a videographer for the service and have been told that we will have to double the organist fee of £110 and also the fee of the choir (£100) if we do have a video, hence we no longer will be having the choir, luckilly my mum will be doing the flower arranging for the front of the church as that would of cost £80.00.

As the church is so importnat to you and your family, continue budgeting in other areas so that it becomes more affordable, thats what we have done to get married in our church, it will be worth it and you will soon forget about how much the church cost.

x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Or you have a registry office wedding which will be the cheapest option I imagine.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep... I think we paid under £400 in total for the room in our registry office (it was bigger than the standard rooms, would normally have cost under £200). Not that we sacrificed style either, IMO we got married in a pretty room in a pretty Town Hall ?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Found this which says that you can get a breakdown of fees and explains what they should be https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/your-wedding/the-cost-of-church-weddings.aspx

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Why do Churches charge so much?

Because they have a whole lot of outgoings too and bills just like you. Nobody can work for free and a church cannot operate for free either, even a vicar needs to pay his mortgage, the organist might just have one too lol legalities, flowers, choir, cleaners dont come cheap either. honestly, what do you expect a church to run on for your wedding... donations?

You'll pay a lot more else where to get married, unless you go to a registry office and even then you will probably pay as much as your church. You state all of the good things about getting married in a church but don't expect to pay the price for it because its a 'Church'

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I have a lot of respect for what you've just said.

Just because you have a civil ceremony, it doesn't mean you get married in a grubby room with bad carpet - read Kharv's wedding report, her room was stunning. My friend got married outside on a beautiful summer's day, which was also gorgeous. And I am pretty sure it cost them roughly what it would have cost to marry in a church.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Three hundred and fifty quid! WOWZERS!

We've obviously got a bargain then - haha! We're having our marriage in a beautiful registry office in the UK then having the full-on ceremony (effectively a blessing, but it will be the part that means more to us) in Spain.

For the R.O., our total cost is £68 plus the £35 each for the Notice of Marriage (which I assume you have to pay wherever you get married).

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• J
    Beginner September 2012
    Jo33 ·
    • Hide content

My partner and I are getting married in a registry office. The one we choose is beautiful and is surrounded in beautiful grounds. We paid 182 pounds to book the registry office and 67 pounds to do the notice of intention of marriage. Neither of us are religous or go to church every sunday and felt it would be hypercrittical to get married in a church considering we dont have a faith. I would have loved to have gotton married in a church, but my fiance has a point. Church's are beautiful though. But then so is the registry office we have booked.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics