Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner September 2013

why do weddings bring out the worse in people?

AmzieM, 1 April, 2013 at 17:06 Posted on Planning 0 8

I had a friend who i not seen for 12months maybe longer. announced engaged she congratulated us. then after so many months later, think was november last year, she sent a text to me saying 'dont forget my invite. and remember u are useless with dresses and makeup so i will have to help u'

my reply back was 'sorry due to numbers can't invite you. if anyone declines u are on the reserve list. oh and btw i have my dress and everything is sorted so no input from u thank u.'

not heard from her since. i'm not really bothered no more about the lack of friendship. i think after the wedding and if she sees any photos she probably will send me a message saying i look lovely etc but with subtly hints that i actually don't look nice.

other one is my aunt who when i announced getting married and due to numbers no children during ceremony, the first thing she said was what am i suppose to do with my kids?. she then said she might have a babysitter but what if not. so i explained to her again due to numbers no kids and if it her and her partner. she said maybe. then i found out she been slagging me off and upsetting my mum. sent her a text saying sorry but due to numbers and u left replying to long they uninvited.

as well as she been showing over the past months she has become really unreliable.

no reply. til my mum sent her a text asking if meeting up at some point. then aunt slagged me off again. i sent her a text explaining she is my only close aunt that i see and talk to and it is so hard for me to say she is uninvited but the way she been treating me and my mum the answer is no to the ceremony but if she is that bothered about being a part of my day then she can come to the evening party. no answer.

if i don't hear anything within a month then i telling her once more, she had a second chance but due to no answer she once again is uninvited.

a friend ended up telling everyone she has got a plus one on her invite so she has invited someone else. i do know her. but i cannot believe my friend did that, no one got a plus one. i am upset that she done it, and one more person isnt going to make much difference.

why do weddings bring out the worse in people?

anyone else had this done to them?

8 replies

Latest activity by MrsStobe13, 1 April, 2013 at 18:40
  • LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Tbh I wouldnt count these issues as 'the worst in ppl' as I think that ppl can be even harsher than you have experienced. But yeah, ppl can be very funny about weddings unfortunately.

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

I think they key is to keep reminding yourself what the wedding is about and trying to forgot all the other 'stuff' that others can bring. Best of luck

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I hate it when ppl are harsh, even worse when they arquard.

is this the same story as on the other thread? An struggling to keep up with all the rubbish bm/wedding stress threads this afternoon!

• C
    Beginner August 2013
    Crazycat ·
    • Hide content

I think this happens to everyone during the planning. don't worry.

We've had problems with invites too as we had to change to a smaller venue so people had to get chopped of the list. Are you having the ceremony at the same place as the reception, if not could your uncle stay outside and look after the children? It can be really difficult for people to get the children looked after for a whole day, and she probably feels very torn about the situation. As you said you are close with her, so she does want to come but the children are very important to her too.

I've also had on of the OH's family asking if she can bring her boyfriend (i didn't even know she had one) but in stead of asking me or OH she asked my future SIL, And some of the older ladies from work have said that they are coming to the ceremony even though they haven't been invited either. All the stresses of wedding planning.

In regards to your 'Friend' i wouldn't worry about inviting her, whay would you want to pay out extra for someone you hardly see?

good luck. xx

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

? this must be April fools day or something, so many crap BMs today! Henceforth April 1st shall be known as bridesmaid sacking day.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wondered this.

I'm confused. Not bothered, just confused.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Not really the worst having heard some horror stories in my time.

The "friend"

Sounds like you are not really bothered anyway, just forget about her.

The "Aunt"

Just don't invite her if you don't want her there.

The "plus one"

Be honest and tell her that there is no plus one.

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content

Sort of.. I have 2 bridesmaids with 2 boys. They were both meant to be page boys and one kicked up a fuss in my lounge, shouting and saying he didn't want to be a page boy. Well that was fine as it meant we saved money on his suit ,thankyou gift etc and his Mum said he'd be at school, fine problem solved. Well now my BM wants to drop him in after the wedding so he's at the reception for the wedding breakfast, I was very reluctant to allow that as it meant my parents have to pay for someone to eat who wasn't at the ceremony but they OK'ed it so I reluctantly agreed. In my mass panic I went out an brought him a favour and text my BM just to ask if it was definite. Guess what? She's not sure now! We have 16 days to our RSVP cut-off date so I really need to know. If she doesn't let me know he will not be catered for and that is it.

In regards to your 3 guests, your first friend I wouldn't worry about. I was going to invite a friend to our wedding, haven't spoken to her since 2010 and she's never messaged me (including when 4 relatives died at the end of 2011) so I would just drop it. It was wrong of her to suggest she's some sort of fashion guru and you'd probably be better off without her involvement, anyway.

As for your aunt, you could help her find a childminder for the duration of the ceremony? Alternatively, you could find out about a local creche and offer to go halves on the kids staying there for the length of the ceremony, then they can come to the reception after. A phonecall or two won't hurt and your aunt might be touched you've tried to help. Your aunt is probably just as upset that you've invited some of her family and not her kids. If you've exhausted all the possibilities and she's still causing offence, tell her that the choice is hers entirely but you must know by X date and not to hassle you or your Mum unless it's constructive.

As for your friend who is bringing a +1, just don't put her +1's name on your final guest list. "Forget" it! If an invite doesn't state +1, you don't invite a +1!

I went to a wedding 2-3 years ago and a friend of ours and the bride's created a private Facebook event in which she invited a group of about 16 people and told us we "were all her +1's." I went ballistic! I told H2B we were invited anyway so her event was of little importance to us. I also got a call from said girl the day before saying that she was having a after-party at her house at 10pm (the reception ended at 12pm) so we could go back to her house and get drunk. Again I was livid. I refused to be any part of it I was invited to the wedding, and to the wedding I went. To top that off, said friend stayed the night and got so drunk she took what was supposed to be our lift home, leaving us stranded for an hour to fork out on a taxi!

Hope this helps

MrsStobe13 xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics