Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arquard
Beginner May 2011

Why will my legs not tan??

Arquard, 27 June, 2011 at 11:17 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

I've been trying and trying to get lusciously brown legs before the festival next week and it's just not happening! The rest of me is a respectable shade of golden brown but my legs are still whiter than my white linen trousers! Harrrumph.

7 replies

Latest activity by WhiteSparkles, 27 June, 2011 at 13:22
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My legs are always the last to turn. I figure my shoulders/arm/etc are exposed far more often throughout the year (even when it's not sunny). So my legs don't have any "base" colour at all.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mine take forever... the front of my thighs are ok but the back of my calfs... no chance!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain, I read in a magazine that there is a medical reason why they take longer to tan that other parts of the body.

Found this via a quick google:

The flat areas of your body have more fat cells, therefore there is more oxidized melanin and you will tan darker on the stomach and back.
    Moist skin tans better, than dry skin. The face and legs are naturally low in moisture and become dryer with normal activities. It is important to keep these areas constantly hydrated during the tanning process.

Our face is the only part of our body that does not produce it’s own moisture. Our legs become a little dryer because of clothing, hosiery etc. Fact is that moist skin tans much better that dry skin. Use a moisturizer at least twice daily. This is not only applicable to the face and legs but all parts of your body.

Your legs have a lot of pigmentation in them, which is melanin, which kicks in, to keep us from getting sunburned.

They say that the farther away from your heart a part of your body is, the harder it is to tan. That would make sense, since your legs and especially your feet are the hardest to tan. The reason why is that most people have at least some cholesterol build up along artery walls, and it makes it much more difficult for blood (and therefore oxygen) to flow to the extremities. Oxygen that comes from the outside, too, assists the tanning process. So wearing pants, especially tight pants, and shoes that cover the legs or feet completely, may be causing enough oxygen deprivation to hinder the tanning process. Your skin may be so badly oxygen deprived in these areas from being fully covered that any moments it has to absorb oxygen from the air are going to be used for basic maintenance of the skin’s condition, and then to support the tanning process.

When you go to tan your legs, shave and exfoliate so new skin is there, newer skin is more susceptible to tanning and sunburn. Keep your legs moist and massaged so the oxygen is circulating, you’ll get a much better tan.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Mine actually went brown this year but have gone immediately white again since I got back from holiday.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Intresting LM, explains alot!!

Thought i have to say, and dont hate me, my legs tan pretty easily, compared to most it seems!! people comment on if im wearing fake tan all the time, but no i am not ?

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmm... this doesn't explain why my feet tan and my legs don't - looks a bit freaky to me lol

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

See, my feet tan OK on the part closest to my legs, but stop at the point where my flip-flop seperates the foot from the toes - it gives a VERY odd look, like i've fake tanned my legs but stopped at the T-bar of my flips and forgot my toes.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

My legs are the same (boo!). But I assumed it was because they are covered up through most of the year. I'm currently a multi coloured mess. Brown face, neck, chest, back, arms and feet (they all see the sun daily) and the strap marks are awful- must sort them out asap! The rest of me is pretty much white or lightly tanned. Not a good look!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics