Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sherrie H
Beginner

Wierd Wedding Facts

Sherrie H, 30 September, 2010 at 08:26 Posted on Planning 0 4

Just been reading these & thought I would share:

lynn Scotty Wolfe married 28 times and divorced 27.

According to Greek culture, a sugar cube into your glove will sweeten your union.

The longest wedding dress train is for a bride in China, it measured over 200 metres long.

Brittney Spear's marriage to Jason Alexander lasted 56 hours.

Sit Temulji Nairman was married to Lady Nariman, when they were five years old. The marriage lasted for 86 years.

According to English tradition, Wednesday is considered the "best day" to marry. Monday is for wealth and Tuesday is for health.

James Burgess and his wife Sarah Ann currently hold the record for the longest married British couple, their marriage lasted 82 years.

In 1840 Queen Victoria started the Western world's love of white wedding dresses. Before then, brides simply wore their best dress.

30,000 people attended a Jewish wedding in Jerusalem in 1993.

The most expensive wedding took place in Dubai for a Sheik's son. The wedding cost over £22 million and included a purpose-built stadium.

In 2000, the average bride was 24 years old and the average groom was 28.

The ancient tradition of bridesmaids dressing the same as each other and in similar style to the bride is because it was believed that evil spirits have a more difficult time distinguishing which one is the bride and putting a hex on her.

Stan Laurel was married seven times…but Zsa Zsa Gabor has been married nine times.

Ancient Greeks and Romans thought the veil protected the bride from evil spirits.

Octavio Guillen and Adriana Martinez were engaged for 67 years.

Minnie Munro from Australia was 102 years of age when she married a man of the age of 82 years.

Multimillionaire Peter Shalson and wife Pauline paid £2 million pounds to get Elton John to sing a song at their wedding.

4 replies

Latest activity by Vikster79, 30 September, 2010 at 17:21
  • D
    Beginner November 2011
    DTTB ·
    • Hide content

I like things like this, lol!

• TheCakeNinja
    TheCakeNinja ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So if you are asked to be a BM think very carefully before you accept! ??

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

Can I just add my wedding fact of the week?

I was recently told by an aunt, that 'Honeymoon' comes from the fact that it was tradition in Mesopotania for the brides father to give the grooms father a quantity of honey every day until the moon dissapeared in its cycle. A kind of dowry if you like.

Therefore the richest or those that wanted to show of the most (or those with the most bees!), would marry right at the begining of the moons cycle, and the poorest right at the end.

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

OH MY GOD!

How weird tht'll be mine and my OH ages when we marry.

I still believe it, does that make me ancient. ?

Awww bless them, proberly didn't know what she was doing.

Love them well done Sherrie.

x

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Go Minnie Munro from Oz bagging herself a toy boy!?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics