Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KarenJane
Beginner June 2013

WINE!!!!!

KarenJane, 6 of May of 2013 at 15:18 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi All - Need to get my wine sorted for the tables pretty soon and was wondering if anyone knew of the best deals around at the moment? I'm looking at about 60 bottles of wine half red and half white.

Also if there are any "wine buffs" around what do you think a good all rounder for the tables is for both - I'm thinking of a Merlot in the red and a pino grigio in the white? All advice welcome!!!!!?

19 replies

Latest activity by *gnashers*, 6 of May of 2013 at 23:42
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid I don't have a clue on the white side so I'll focus on red ?

Personally I'd go with either a cab sav, rioja or tempranillo rather than a merlot. You'll be safer with those, I think.

Aldi do a tempranillo called Toro Loco which is rather drinkable and is less than £4 a bottle if memory serves.

Asda also often have a Hardy's cab sav or shiraz for £4 a bottle on offer.

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

We get our wine from tesco wine club. We get amazing wines at half the price. Great if you have vouchers too x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I second Kharv with Tempranillo for red. It's far easier to drink (and will therefore please more people) than a Merlot. What about Chenin Blanc for white? That can be lovely and light.

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I also agree with Kharv on the red wine, I find merlot too heavy and gives me a headache. Whites I will drink anything but especially love Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon blanc. Our venue is serving a different one for each course and I can't for the life of me remember what they are though. When we are buying lots of wine we normally use tesco or majestics. My stepdad is in the wine business and he always mentions some of the Aldi ones being great too.

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

Oh I second Chenin blanc for white, we are having that for one of our starters and it is so light and easy to drink.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Wine!

I know bugger all about red but as white goes a generic Pinot Grigio or sav blanc should be a crowd pleaser.

• Nicky Hewitt Designs
    Beginner May 2012
    Nicky Hewitt Designs ·
    • Hide content

Cabernet Sauvignon for red and Pinot Grigio for white are pretty safe choices. I don't drink much white as I'm not keen on the dryer styles that I've often been served at weddings. Tempranillo and Malbec are also firm personal favourites for reds that aren't too heavy/ are quite easy drinking- in my opinion anyway!

• KarenJane
    Beginner June 2013
    KarenJane ·
    • Hide content

Wow - Thanks ladies thats a great help!

I dont drink red (It really doesnt like me!) so i went with a friends suggestion as she likes Merlo but after everything you've said i would rather go with a lighter wine that will please the masses so cab sav or the Tempranillo look like they will be making an appearence.

Again i went with Pino as i like it (lol) but again, if chenin blanc is much lighter then it would be a better choice i'm sure.

Well only one thing for it - a tester session!

Kharv i am so excited about my toppers! cant wait for them to arrive they look amazing! x

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    RosyP ·
    • Hide content

Good choices from Kharv on the red.

A lot of people find Pinot Grigio too dry. I agree that a Chenin Blanc is much safer. If you want to splash out a little, then some of the French wines, such as a white Bergundy would be lovely

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

Ooh will be keeping my eye on this thread as I also need to start stock piling wine soon.

I remember KB taking about the aldi wine before Kharv so think ill try that out.

Sorry to jump on this thread but ialsoneed need some sparkly stuff (thinking prosecco) - anyone have any recommendations for some good yet cheap bottles?

• KarenJane
    Beginner June 2013
    KarenJane ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Dont worry about jumping on the thread! I also need sparkly stuff too! Prosecco seems popular amongst friends but i dont like it!

I also need pimms for drinks reception.... oh the list of things to do is endless!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope you like them in real life! Smiley smile

Super cute little family you have!

• Bluebell25
    Beginner August 2013
    Bluebell25 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We've bought some Cremant de Jura from Aldi at £6.99/bottle, it's really good, nice and light. It seems to be better than most of the proseccos that seem to be around at the moment.

• Bluebell25
    Beginner August 2013
    Bluebell25 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm hardly a wine buff so do try it first, but I absolutely love (and have bought loads of) Waitrose's Floral and Fragrant Italian White. It has a brilliant summery taste. It maybe doesn't have a huge amount of class being a supermarket own brand, and not a specific grape or area, but I guess it depends if you and your guests mind about that sort of thing! It's £5/bottle I think.

Edit: Others must like it too, because our Waitrose always sells out of it!

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I've heard Aldi does a nice sparkly, not tried it though.

we are having prosecco for toasts and welcome drinks and are also having a drink that's prosecco, amaretto and orange juice tis lovely...I'm craving wines now which ain't good on a Monday night.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks...I'll check it out! ?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Yep, I'm all over that Aldi Tempranillo.

I do prefer white though and would always go Pinot. It depends what your budget it but also Sainsbo's do a great Gavi (in their taste the difference range). It's £8ish a bottle although they do it with 25% off quite regularly.

as for bubbles, I love an M&S Bellante, very light, but it's pink. So might be better for a reception drink (although we're having pink bubbles for the toast)

• C
    Beginner August 2013
    Crazycat ·
    • Hide content

We live just outside north london and are 'thinking' about doing a booze cruise over the a hypermarket in Calais, as then we can get more for our money. P&O do some cracking one day deals. Amy body else considered this or is it not worth it?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I personally think with supermarket deals these days, it's not worth it really.

places like majestic are good too as you can return bottles not drunk I think

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics