Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner June 2016

Wine on tables?

Jade8, 2 of July of 2015 at 22:31 Posted on Planning 0 16

At our reception we are planning on providing a glass of wine each for during the meal. However what's the best wine to go for? White or red? Neither of us are massive wine drinkers so your advice would be much appreciated!

16 replies

Latest activity by Minna Rossi Photography, 3 of July of 2015 at 15:23
  • kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing a mix, probably with more white than red. Does your venue let you mix?

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I would go with both. Possibly a shiraz and unoaked chardonnay as they both have broad appeal.

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue said to us about having just one bottle on each table and that's where the problem has come from - I don't know what that one bottle should be!!

• kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

Oh...that doesn't seem very much per table. Not much you can do though, I'd say White is safer to please people but maybe that's just me. End of the day they aren't paying for it and could always go to the bar for something else if they would prefer.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Maryhf414 ·
    • Hide content

Hi jade, have you thought about the food your serving as that sometimes helps, erm I wouldn't worry about it too much as a few people might not be much of wine drinkers and go to the bar n order their own drink... But we couldn't decide on one so we're doing a bottle of each, our venue was understanding but did cost more tho.xx

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

Its a tricky one if you can only stretch to one glass per person. I'd opt for not putting a bottle on the table and getting a waiter to come round and ask and pour. Problem solved.

• C
    Beginner September 2015
    Chocolatelulu25 ·
    • Hide content

^^^WSS

That's what we're doing and it's saving a lot of headache over who wants white or red, they will ask the waiter for their preference.

• C
    Beginner August 2015
    carrotbroc ·
    • Hide content

Just 1 per table?
    We have budgeted for 70 bottles of red and 70, bottles of white.
    We have 100 guests so this gives them at least 2 glasses during the meal.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the suggestion of getting the waiter to pour. 1 bottle doesn't go very far - how many guests per table? A bottle will give you 3 large glasses, just over 4 standard glasses or 6 small glasses. However a small glass is only 125ml which is what bubbly is normally served as. A 125ml glass really isn't enough to serve with a meal. If you can't afford more I would suggest not bothering at all.

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    Milly_Bride ·
    • Hide content

We're going for 3 bottles per table (of probably 8 ish). Two white and one red, with a couple of bottle of rose for members of the wedding party who specifically like it!

I've always seen to go for more white than red so if you have to pick one I'd go with white, but having waiters pour per glass is a great idea.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

I think the OP means one wine as in either white or red - not one bottle per table?

I think the waiter offering a choice would be best, but If you have to choose just one then I'd try to match with your meal.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

The package we have is half a bottle of wine per person, so we're splitting half white half red so people have the chocie

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

White or red depends upon what you're serving for food.

Also, depending on how big your tables are, a bottle on the table might seem stingy so I'd go with the ladies and see if the waiters can serve the preferred guests' drinks.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

We will be putting a bottle of red white and rose on each table.

• Kamila27
    Beginner April 2016
    Kamila27 ·
    • Hide content

WHITE: fish, poultry, veal.

RED: beef, pork, venison.

Sweet wines for fruit and sweets, champagne goes well with everything Smiley winking

• S
    Beginner January 2016
    Stephanie104 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding a few months ago and they had the waiters serve the wine - you got an option of red or white and one top up. Everyone seemed happy with that so we are doing the same. Only getting 8 of each but will tell them to let us know when they are all gone and then we can decide if we buy more or not - if its towards the end of the meal we won't. Any leftover wine gets taken when the room is changed over so I don't want to pay for it to be taken away!!

• Minna Rossi Photography
    Minna Rossi Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jade,

It may also be worth considering the temperature: white wine is always served cold (I even pop a few ice cubes in the glass in the summer to keep it chilled), red wine room temperature. If you are having a summer wedding, the guests might like a cold drink Smiley smile

Best Wishes,

Minna x

Minna Rossi Photography

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics