Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bls14
Beginner September 2011

Wine on tables at wedding advice - how many,what colour...

bls14, 30 March, 2011 at 13:09 Posted on Planning 0 23

We are putting a couple of bottles on each table, then everything else will be bought by people at the bar...

we want to put a rose on the table, but 1 red, 1 white and 1 rose is a bit silly... do you think it's ok to do 1 red and 1 rose??

23 replies

Latest activity by Arquard, 30 March, 2011 at 22:05
  • sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Were not sure if were doing this or not yet, but if we do, were going with 1 red, 1 white. if you really want rose (which is my fav) i would do 1 rose, 1 white, HTH

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure to be honest, think we need to have red - quite a lot of family drink red...

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah same with us, i prefer rose or white, but most ppl i know in my family like white or red...so we will have to go with that, then over the rest of the night, i wil order myself glasses of rose!

Dont suppose it will matter to much, its only a bottle on the table, and if my family are anything to go by, if its there they will drink it! lol

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I was pondering on this too. I was going to ask my co-ordinator if they can ask each table who wants red or white/rose and put out whatever is needed. You usually end up with loads of red left. If its possible might be more accurate if the waiting staff ask and pour each guest and top up so no wasteage.

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

Could you ask your reception to serve the drinks and then offer red white and rose.. no need to put the bottles on the table.

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

For a table of 10 we're having 3 red and 3 white on each. Then a few beers and a pitcher of water. We have a pay bar also for later on.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We're having a bottle of sauv blanc to go with the scallops in an ice bucket, 2 different reds to do with the lamb. Each table will be able to let staff know when they need any of the bottles replacing. We've allowed a bottle per head for the meal in terms of calculations though.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a rose fan and think of it more a social drink rather than a dinner drink.
    I would offer red & white only. I believe that the majority of peole would opt for red or white, not rose. However you know your friends and what the majority would drink.

If the reason is that you personally want to drink rose, I'd just arrange for a bottle for your table only.

For dinner events you generally work on the rule of half a bottle of wine per person.

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for responses everyone, we had only thought 1 of each on each table due to money but now wondering enough..

to be fair nearly all the men will be buying beer from bar anyway!

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content

We're putting 2 x white and 1 x red on each table. but I know the table which has my two sisters and their husbands on all drink red, so I will ask the venue to put 3 red on - the cost is the same. 2 white and 1 red is what was recommended to us by the venue as the most popular choice.

Some of my other tables are a bit top heavy with young children, and we did discuss the suggestion of not having the wine on the table, and having it topped up by the waiters etc, but we feel sure that the other tables with more drinkers on will do some "mine sweeping"

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

Most of our guests prefer Rose so we are having this only, and we feel it lends itself to the laid back feel of our day (we are having a BBQ).

We have 2 bottles per table of 8, which is a glass each, and have then bought extra bottles which will be distributed as and when tables run out. We thought this was better than some tables running out and others ending up with loads left as there is always a mix of drinkers and non drinkers.

Generally though, I think people go with equal amounts of red and white, but as others have said, it depends on your guests and you know them best

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our is a very laid back wedding also - think we will go with 1 red and 1 rose and see how it goes.....

our reception is marquee so we will be buying the wine before the day and caterers not charging corkage to serve.

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

THIS!

Also, whoever said about Rose being a social drink and not a dinner drink, I totally agree. Stick with red and white I say! x

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

My sister had this dilemma and wasn't sure who woudl want what etc, so, on the menus on the tables, they've put a note "Your table has been allocated X [based on 1/2 bottle per person] bottles of wine, please tell the waiting staff whether you want white, red or rose". That way, if they want all red, they can have all red or vice versa.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

We are having a red, white and rose on each table and they will be replaced as needed. We have 45 guests and have bought 54 bottles, but what isn't used at the wedding breakfast will be used over the rest of the weekend.

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

We are having 3 bottles per table but not actually putting the bottles on the table IYKWIM... The waiting staff will take white/red/rose to each guest and see what they want.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

Our venue has said that we can start out with 50/50 of red/white on the tables, and then if more people are drinking white and we start running low, they will just take some of the red's out back and swap for more whites.

So it wont cost us any extra.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I see a few people on here like rose.

I love sparkling rose, and as our colour theme for the day will be red, I was hoping to have pink champagne for toasting.

Anyone else doing this?

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm having rose and white cava at the drinks reception as my girlfriends prefer rose! I'm having a pink wedding so also fits nicely!

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I never thought of having a mixture! Sounds perfecto Smiley laugh

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Our package includes a bottle of white and red on each table during dinner. I've tried them both and they're lovely so I'm not going to faff about with rosé (although that is my favourite so probably what I'll be buying from the bar for the rest of the evening!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics