Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Love&Lavender
Beginner September 2014

Wine ratio

Love&Lavender, 20 of January of 2014 at 11:22 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi all,

I am sure this question has been asked many times but I did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for.

We are about to buy wines for the wedding and I wondered what everyone had done in terms of white:red:rose ratio. The wine will only be drank through the wedding breakfast and we have approximately 70 adult guests. We are really struggling to work out how much to buy generally and then how much of each! I realise the ideal way is to probably ask guests their preference on the invites but they aren't being sent for a while and my OH's work is having a wine sale that is too good to miss!

If you could let me know how you did it that would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

L&L

14 replies

Latest activity by Smithette2b, 21 of January of 2014 at 15:27
  • SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

If you work it out that there are approx 4 glasses per bottle - and then think how many glasses you want to provide for your guests (some will drink none, some will guzzle!) usually I think if you are only providing wine with food allocating half a bottle per adult is about right. I'd go 50% white & 20% rose & 30% red - so for 70 adults that's approx 18 white, 10 red, 7 rose - then add a couple of extra on top of each for luck.

BUT that's only my guess, I'm not a caterer!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We're having equal amounts of red and white - but that's part of our package. I'd much prefer rose but that'll be extra and we really can't up the budget. The package allows for half a bottle per person.

• Love&Lavender
    Beginner September 2014
    Love&Lavender ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

I am really conscious that we don't want to run out. I am wondering if we should get 60 bottles, I am not too worried about wastage, there is no such thing as spare wine in our house so it will all get drunk at some point ? The above ratio of 50% white, 20% rose, 30% red sounds good. We do need to get rose as I know a couple of people who have that as their preference. We already have champagne for the toasts and then we are doing something different for the drinks reception, possibly Pimms and beer (as well as soft drinks). Our spare bedroom is going to look like an off licence at this rate!

Any other thoughts?

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I'm going to allocate 2/3 of a bottle of wine per person and will do 80:20 white to red (not catering for rose, there is a cash bar if someone is that bothered).

But I am getting married in June so I'd say in summer guests would drink more white (and rose) than red.

You could also do a quick surveymonkey survey amongst your guests (really easy to set up) and ask them what they'd prefer.

You're much more considerate than I am, I just like white wine so that's what they're getting most of Smiley smile

Laura

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing 50/50, on my mum's advice as I think most of the 'adults' (still think of myself as a kid, even though I'm 26 in 3 weeks!) will drink red, and quite a few of my friends prefer red actually. We're doing 3 glasses per person.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We asked for preferences on our invitations and out of 120 adults it actually ended up being nearly 50:50.

I went with half a bottle per person then a fair bit of surplus for the venue to being out as needed.

As an aside, I'd be gutted if I went to a wedding and there was no red (I hate white) - red wine goes with everything. I'd have it with my breakfast if it didn't clash with the gin...

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what i'd do!
    Especially agree with the last part haha Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner March 2013
    funkychic21 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

we went with half a bottle per person, with one extra bottle per table. Then added 10% on top which we kept on a separate table for people to head to if they ran out.

X

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you're not having to pay corkage then go for it! We did and yes we had plenty left, but as you say, it will definitely get drunk at some stage. I, like you, really didn't want to run out and we served wine all day/evening. I think the general rule of thumb is approx half a bottle per person for the meal and more people tend to drink white than red.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

We had just under 100 guests and bought 30 red and 30 white.

We also decided to go with too much thinking we would run out (also bought 20 bottles of port, 30 champagne and 15 crates of beer) - We're still drinking it now ?

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing 1/2 a bottle per person for the wedding breakfast but the venue are supplying ours so no worries about running out. We've got white and red (but I'm going to ask about rose too because that's my preference. The venue have said that they will swap in bottles of white/red depending on what's going down the best.

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Smithette2b ·
    • Hide content

We've only got 50 days guest a few of which are children, we'll probably have tables of 8 so just having a bottle of red and white on each table! Tight I know but at least thats a glass with their meal, more for those who are lucky to have children or none drinkers on thiers ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics