Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tinkerbelly1983
Beginner October 2011

Wine/drinks... opinions please

tinkerbelly1983, 11 of August of 2011 at 13:51 Posted on Planning 0 15

We have to provide the wine for our wedding breakfast, plus reception/toast drinks but on quite a tight budget so cant afford posh stuff. Been to Tesco this morning and they have J P Chenet wines on 3 bottles for £12. Ive never tried it before so we bought a bottle of each red, white & rose to try tonight (i fear we may be a bit p!$$ed later!) Just a bit worried people will think its a bit cheap. what do you think? is it really that big a deal? or is wine just wine at the end of the day.. we have also decided on warm Pimms winter, toffee apple cider and sparkling wine for our reception/toast drinks. thought we'd go for something a bit different. would you be happy with these options as a guest at an autumn wedding?

15 replies

Latest activity by Jane, 19 of August of 2024 at 08:26
  • *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Sounds good to me, seems like you have covered just about everyones tastes too.

I do like a JP Chenet, even if it is classed as a cheaper wine. It is very pallatable.

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

The pimms, toffee apple cide and sparkling wine sounds lovely!

What JP are they? Are they the blanc, rose, red ones? i.e. not sauvignon blank, merlot...

THe rose one is ok for the price and we have got the rose for our wine. The white and the red (blanc and red ones) are very tasteless and do taste a bit cheap...

We;ve ended up going with 3 different types for white red and rose.... good luck!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

No-one will think you're cheap, don't worry about it ?

The Pimms winter warmer and toffee apple cider sound fabulous, if I were offered these at an autumn wedding I'd be delighted!!!

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Bls14, its the red rose & blanc we have to try, the others werent in the offer! if i wasnt so fussy id go for different brands but i want it all to match!

• G
    Beginner November 2011
    GemGem81 ·
    • Hide content

Oo, can't help with the wines I'm afraid, I've not tried them, but really intrigued by the toffee apple cider! Do you buy that or is it a recipe to make up?

• little miss stubborn
    little miss stubborn ·
    • Hide content

Although we had a bar at our wedding we were allowed to have our own wine bar where we brought the wine in our selves and guests could just help themselves.

Like you we went to tesco, i think we went when they were doing 25% off if you buy 6 bottles of wine. We brought 24 bottles at about £6 each so with the discount came to about £120ish.

You could always ask everyone to bring a bottle that way everyone gets to drink what they like Smiley smile

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Its made by Brothers, its a new one that has just come out. we have a bottle of that to sample too so i will report if its any good!

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We were drinking this at a BBQ a few weeks back and it's lush! It's very sweet though and a little bit sickly so I couldn't have more than one really but if it's just a glass for a toast or something it will be yummy (it does need to be really cold though or it will be sickly) ?

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Having had the Brothers Toffeee Apple cider, I can report that it's absolutely lush! Mind you it is also not obviously alcoholic to taste - hence knocking back 3 pints of it in about an hour (which is a lot for me!) ?

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

If you're tight on budget and want matching wine, can I suggest a little toddle over to France, pick an area with a few vineyards (take a driver) and set up some visits...

Mine was £3-6/bottle for red, white and sparkling - we're giving rose a miss though.

We went here http://www.vin-valencay-leclair.com/ but anywhere in the Tours, Bordeaux (possibly pricy??) or Loire regions would (a) be similar and (b) be quite a fun holiday. If you pick a region that does fizz (Cremant/ Vin Mousseux) that isn't champagne, you can even match the fizzy wine!

Buying direct from vineyards is way cheaper than buying from supermarket.

The other drinks sound great - presumably a winter wedding?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Unless it says "Tesco Value Wine" on the bottle then I honestly don't see that anyone could consider it "too cheap".

After all, you don't have to provide free drinks at a wedding, and I honestly don't think anyone would notice either if it tastes ok.

My only thought about your package is my usual thought whenever this subject comes up, and that's what are you doing for the non drinkers/drivers/children? Sometimes we'd like to be given something a bit more special than a jug of room temperature water.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Well as people know wine is wine to me and i wouldnt know the difference between a £5 bottle and a £80 bottle (although others in my new family might ?)

I like the JPC and as it is readily accesible am sure most people would have tried it at some time so will know its a decent wine. Im also definitely going to find this Toffee Apple cider...yum yum.

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

I dont mind JP chenet and I certainly wouldnt think you were cheap, and I sincerely hope no-one else would.

The only thing I would say if you were worried about it was that JP chenet is well recognised (popular, odd shaped bottle etc) and known for being a cheaper option- as I say I hope no-one would mnd in the slightest (and if they did I would be inclined to give them a boot up their ungrateful ar*e) however IF you are worried maybe go for a different offer- 3 for £12 is something you should easily be able to match with a less recognisable bottle which no-one would know was 3.50 a pop. Morrisons and Asda's I always think are good for wine offers.

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

We had a taste test earlier and bit the bullet and bought the J P Chenet but we have ordered it on tesco wine website and got 6 bottles for £17.10! We got a case of Hardys sparkling Rose for our toasts too for only £30! bargain ?

AJ we are providing Shloer and fruit juice for the non drinkers, so everyone is catered for ?

One more thing ticked off the never ending list!

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing offer! woo hoo!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics