Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2014

Wirral/Cheshire community halls or farmer's fields

sugarlips1980, 20 November, 2012 at 22:36 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi

I've been round some fancy pants hotels in Wirral and the price issue aside, none of them felt like me as I've realised I want a fun and informal event. (Though I admit I did like the fairy tale Hillbark Hotel, but ouch!). Next we looked at hiring a farmer's field and hiring a marquee, but I've leant that to have everything you need (marquee, lining, flooring, generator, portaloos, mobile bar, dance floor, chairs, tables, heaters etc etc) well, you may as well hire that 5 star hotel! (Prob £3-5k before any food and drink). Looked at Church Farm in Thurstaston which was lovely but that was £1,300 hire on top. My budget is about £4k for day do and reception, extra £3k for dress, rings, church ceremony, honeymoon etc.

I've got an image of exactly what I want now...I just can't find the venue. I want an outdoor festival/vintage/summer fete theme on a Saturday in around July. I want a cheap village hall (Wirral or Cheshire) with some land/grassed area for a basic marquee. Seen large marquees for sale on eBay for £400 (which I could resell). Don't mind having it just on grass no pricey flooring as will use it probably only during day. Will provide own catering (or cheap caterer) and booze using the hall's kitchen (afternoon tea in day, hot and cold buffet in evening). Then prob use hall in evening for dancing. Trouble is, all of the community/village halls or sports clubs Ive googled look really dowdy. I know, it's cheap! I just really want a blank canvas so I can buy bunting, fairy lights etc off eBay and really use my creativity and make it look shabby chic! So no awful wallpaper and garish curtains! Will also ideally have a stage and be kitted out with a PA system. I'm lucky I've got a friend who is singing for me and I want to hire a band and maybe another acoustic singer and dancers. That's where I want my money to go!

I also want a field to make my own summer fete games to position around the field. Absolutely ideal would be for camping to be allowed for a real festival feel. I'm waiting for some schools in Wirral who hire their grounds out during summer to get back in touch with me, hoping they are the answer. Meanwhile anyone know of anything that may work for me? I think I want the opposite to most brides!!!

8 replies

Latest activity by Bluebell25, 6 December, 2012 at 11:43
  • vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

Just be aware if u don't have flooring in a marque and it rains you can get a flooded, muddy, boggy floor. Sounds like lots of fun, and work. No help on the venue front at all but I hope you find what you are looking for.

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    sugarlips1980 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I see your point, it's just the cost starts to add up then!! Will look into it though, thanks.

• Cherry Garcia
    Beginner November 2017
    Cherry Garcia ·
    • Hide content

Hi I'm in Wirral too. This is a massive long shot but a little while ago a friend posted pics to fb of a wedding he'd been to. They were fab and it sounds like exactly the sort of thing you are after. Marquee, Groom's band for the entertainment, own catering etc and then everyone stayed in tents on the same field. I'll get in touch and ask him where it was and get back to you.

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    sugarlips1980 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Cherry, that would be ace thanks! I'm still going around in circles!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

The thing with the floor is that if you do not have one then it needs to also be dry for a week before the wedding as all those feet will soon turn that lovely grass into lovely mud, - great if you want the full festival effect.

I have seen village halls decked out with the lightweight (parachute type material that often you find inside marquees.

One of my sig pics below had giant tipi's in the feild behind the church which was great

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    sugarlips1980 ·
    • Hide content

Yes good point about the floor. Yes love tipis! Pricey though!

• Cherry Garcia
    Beginner November 2017
    Cherry Garcia ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, sorry it took a while but I've heard back about the wedding. It was actually in Kent where the bride's parents live which is a shame! But my friend did say that he also went to a similar wedding at Caldy Rugby club. Marquee in the grounds. I don't know where you'd stand with camping but it might be worth looking into. There's gorgeous views from there too.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

My cousin only had a basic marquee with no floor for her wedding in Suffolk. Even though it rained a bit it was ok as the marquee was pitched on gravel rather than grass. I don't know the ins and outs of it but it might be something to look at?

She definitely didn't have a marquee floor but did hire a dancefloor. She also had a bbq that was under cover of other little marquees - again on gravel so no worries about soggy ground.

• Bluebell25
    Beginner August 2013
    Bluebell25 ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

Another option if you don't find a lovely village hall is cricket clubs, lots of space for games (especially cricket!), they will usually let you park, and you can use their water, kitchen and toilets. That said, if you are looking for the indoors aspect for the evening that may not appeal so much. But we are hiring ours for £250 for three days, so they're worth a look if you're on a budget.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics