Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hayley
Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk

Witness

Hayley, 18 of June of 2022 at 13:10 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5
Hello all. Just trying to work out who to have as witnesses. We've got 2 bridesmaids and 2 best men. We had thought about asking Mums before they changed to being on the certificate anyway. So then we wondered about brothers (my h2b's brother is one of our best men) but recently I found out my brother might not even being coming (long story but I am rather upset about this). My h2b is still keen on asking his brother. Anyway, so I am wondering, is it okay to single out one of the bridesmaids to ask? My other option is, I have another friend who is coming to my hen with the two bridesmaids and me, but is not a bridesmaid. I could ask her.

Some advice and examples of who you chose and how would be much appreciated. Thank you.

5 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 21 of June of 2022 at 10:11
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135
    • Hide content

We had my OH best man who is his oldest friend. I had one of my two closest friends (the other one was already involved in the ceremony).

I don't think it really matters who you ask, but it can be a nice way of including someone who doesn't have another official role. So in your case, asking your OH brother and your non-bridesmaid friend would be a lovely way of including two people who are close to you but are not involved in any other way in the ceremony

• Hayley
    Hayley
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 馃槉
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride
    • Hide content

We're doing a mini legal ceremony (long story) which will just be 8 guests so we get 4 each. For FH because his dad is remarried that's his parents and sister. For me, that's parents and brother and so I had a spot to spare - while on the main event I have 3 'best guys', I decided that the one I will invite is the one that's acting as our celebrant at the main non-legal wedding, partly in honour of this role and partly because he is my oldest friend AND that he will be my witness. Meanwhile, FH is planning on asking his sister because she otherwise doesn't have a role in the wedding so it's a nice way to include her

So, in short, I don't think you need to both invite the same type of person - i.e. I don't think it needs to be both siblings, or a wedding party member each - rather you can just each pick a person that you'd like to be your witness for whatever reason feels meaningful to you Smiley smile

• Hayley
    Hayley
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Chloe.

I think we have decided to go with his brother and my friend who is not a bridesmaid 馃槉
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good idea! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics