Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner June 2014

Witnesses for quickie reg office marriage

jess999, 26 of September of 2013 at 16:21 Posted on Planning 1 22

Hi, we are planning to have an independent celebrant conduct our wedding ceremony but we need to complete the paperwork at the reg office beforehand. Apparently we need to have 2 witnesses to sign with us, I have asked the reg office (York) if they can supply witnesses, they said no but that we could ask people off the street outside or a couple of their customers. I am concerned that no-one would be willing and we'd be completely stuck but I'd prefer not to have any of our guests as we don't see this as part of our wedding. Has anyone else done this and how did it go?

22 replies

Latest activity by David, 17 of February of 2024 at 11:12
  • Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

I have not done thing personally, but I have seen a few people post on here that there are looking for witnesses, and quite often people have been more than willing. If you say where the ceremony is and when, I am sure there will be some hitchers that could help! I know if anyone local to me posted, I would be more than happy to do it! I love a wedding!

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

We had the tog and the wedding coordinator. You can hire people too, but ask on here and you're sure to get a response.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Is there a large workplace nearby? Could you call in at a couple of buildings in the vicinity and see if someone would do it for you? It's less than 15 minutes, I'd do it for someone if they needed it.

• J
    Beginner June 2014
    jess999 ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your replies. So, it sounds like a really good idea to post a request on here for volunteers!! Feels a bit cheeky, but like others have said, I'd be delighted to do it for someone if they were near me. Also the work places idea is very do-able, York reg office is in the centre and we plan on a 12pm appointment so we can have lunch after. Sange! and Kentish Gal, congrats to you both on your recent marriages. ChildhoodSweetheart and Catshoes, good luck with your upcoming weddings. Thanks again

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I witnessed for a couple who posted on here, was a lovely experience with zero weirdness, such an honour to be a small part of a couples happy day.

I'm in London so to far away for you but hopefully someone else we be along to volunteer.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of asking two passers by.

It'd make my day if someone asked me!

Let us know who were your witnesses in the end!!

• J
    Beginner June 2014
    jess999 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I certainly will report back!!

Our wedding is not till June 2014, but nearer the time I will post a request for witnesses and we'll see how it goes.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

It's a shame I'm too far away, I would've found it an interesting experience to both shoot and sign!

• suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content

I live in Leeds (30 min on train) and might be able to help depending where/ when it is! This is what I originally wanted to do so hope it works out for you Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner June 2014
    jess999 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Suzy, we are going to do it at York register office at the beginning of June 2014, so it's quite a way off yet! I am really touched that someone would consider 30 min train ride to help us out, that is above and beyond the call of duty!!

I have just joined this forum in the last few days and as well as all the positive comments about finding witnesses, it is wonderful to have other brides to talk to.

What did you end up doing for your wedding?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I really love this idea and it would be so special to be a part of a couples important day too!
    Too far away here but sure you'll get people no problem Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner September 2014
    Rebeck ·
    • Hide content

I work in York and would be more than happy to help out! Obviously it's a while yet, but as I don't get married until September I'll be still lurking around here in June x

• suzysimpson
    Beginner August 2013
    suzysimpson ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bookmark this thread and send a direct message to me nearer the time - I'm not the best at regularly checking hitched so if you do need a witness let me know that way instead! I'd more than happy to help, anything for someone's wedding! I'm studying anyway so love excuses to avoid the textbooks Smiley winking (of course I've no idea if I'll still be studying next year, depends if some poor sod offers me a job!) We ended up having a church wedding a big hotel reception. It was a lot of fun at the end but wasn't really "our" wedding. But our parents' paid for everything though so we really felt obliged to keep them happy. Pity, as we really wanted humanist ceremony but obviously that would have meant a civil ceremony that my mum really wasn't happy about. Still, we're married now and we really did dance the night away so definitely not complaining Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner June 2014
    jess999 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Suzy, great idea, thanks very much, I will do that and might met you in June!! Glad to hear that your wedding went well. We are each well into our 40s/50s and will be paying everything ourselves so we pretty much have free reign. The parents we do have left are of an age where they could really care less! if we are happy, they are happy so it's all good.

• J
    Beginner June 2014
    jess999 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Rebeck, that's really great, thanks so much! I'll be back on nearer the time requesting volunteers! Are you getting married in York? We are hoping for the Grange Hotel as it nicely suits our very small party of just 25 people.

• Stephen Duncan Photography
    Stephen Duncan Photography ·
    • Hide content

We did this when I got married. We asked mums on both sides to be the witnesses just because we thought they would really appreciate it and they are both really important to us. We made great efforts to point out that the 'real' wedding was happening the following week and this was basically an exercise in admin. Needless to say hats and dresses still managed to make an appearance! No probs at our end with that though, it's just brought a little smile to my face remembering how happy they were to be a part of this little moment before the actual wedding as we saw it took place.

But of course it doesn't have to be like that at all - I love the idea of hanging around outside and grabbing a couple of people off the street. Imagine what a cool little story that'll give them to tell when they get home. "Hi honey, how was your day?" "Oh, you know, the usual. How about you?" "Bob from accounting did his usual thing. Oh, and I was a witness for a total stranger's marriage. Anyway, fancy a pizza tonight?"

• R
    Beginner April 2020
    RomanticRedConfetti24946 ·
    • Hide content

Hi does anyone know where can i hire witnesses for the statutory ceremony wedding at registrar office??

• J
    Beginner September 2021 North Yorkshire
    J ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did you find any witnesses? I'm getting married soon, in York, and I'm looking for 2 witnesses. Thank you!

• ExpensiveRedCakes43566
    Beginner December 2021
    ExpensiveRedCakes43566 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Would you still do that? I know its a few good years later but i am actually looking for some witnessed in London 6.12.2021 ❤️‍🔥
  • Karen
    Beginner November 2021 Bedfordshire
    Karen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Me too. When is yours? Did you find anyone?
  • Beginner October 2023 Worcestershire
    ·
    • Hide content
    Hi we're marrying in secret, no fuss, simple signing of papers. Is there anyone on here who could witness our wedding for us please? It's in October 2023 at Worcester.
  • D
    Beginner March 2024 South Yorkshire
    David ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, we are getting married on 27th of March 2024 at 3pm at Doncaster registry office and we are in need of two witnesses, is there any kind, wonderful people out there that can help us?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics