Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah-March-2013
Beginner March 2013

Wll this be worth it? Tesco clubcard vouchers

Sarah-March-2013, 13 January, 2012 at 06:57 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hiya,

I'm getting married in 14 months and was thinking of starting to do tesco online shopping every week from now till then to save up vouchers to use in Goldsmiths for our wedding rings. But I'm wondering if it will be worth it?

We spend about £70-£90 a week and have 14 months/58 weeks until the wedding (although I don't want to leave it really last minute to get the rings). How much do you think I'll tot up in vouchers from now till then?

Have any of you done it? How did u get on? x

10 replies

Latest activity by Alipops1986, 13 January, 2012 at 19:35
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt rely on any scheme like this to get your rings. There is always the chance they can withdraw goldsmiths from their list or withdraw the vouchers altogether.

I may be wrong, but thought that for each $1 spent, you get 1 point. However, you need 100 points (£100 worth) to get a £1 voucher! Therefore, each £1 you spent, only equates to 1p in voucher points. Therefore, even at £90 per week spent (90p in vouchers!), over 58 weeks, thats only £52.20 worth of vouchers you'd get!

You are better off saving elsewhere, because even if goldsmiths are in the £1= £4 promotional things, could you even get 2 wedding rings for £200? I'd look elsewhere for a another way of saving.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah, we're doing this as we dont know what else to spend our clubcard vouchers on! So far we have £34 in vouchers and I think that the goldsmith's offer is £10vouchers become £40.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

We did this for my OHs ring. We probably spend £60-£80 per week in Tesco and usually get around £10-15 worth of vouchers every quarter. We had been saving them up for some time and managed to get in on it whilst they were still giving 4 times the value of vouchers so got his ring for free. It was definitely worth it for us as it meant he could have the ring he really wanted but as someone else has said, they can withdraw partners at any time. However, you've got nothing to lose by saving up the vouchers - I find I get much more than I would if I was collecting nectar points. You can also collect clubcard points at places other than Tesco like Johnson dry cleaning. Not sure where else, but there are a few. Even if they do withdraw Goldsmiths, you can use your vouchers for a nice weekend away or a trip to a theme park or loads of other things.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I didn't realise that! Never mind, still means we will get my ring for almost free.

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

Hi;

We were going to do this but then opted not to as my OH decided wanted a rose gold one (which we could not find in Goldsmiths) and I fell in love with one which was convenitently half price in Ernest Jones.

However having been engaged for over two years Goldsmiths has had the link with Tesco since then so it prob would continue.

Also if you get a tesco clubcard credit card and then use that in tesco the points do definitely build up.

x

• katielou87
    Beginner April 2012
    katielou87 ·
    • Hide content

We did this for my wedding ring - over the course of around 6 months we managed to save enough to equate to £235 in goldsmiths vouchers - I ordered £195 of them before they upped it to 4x the amount but we did manage to get the rest at 4x.. my wedding ring cost £40 in the end Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Missusp2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

If you dont use your vouchers for your rings you could always use them towards your thank you gifts for Bridesmaids and Best Man?

We had a load of vouchers about to expire so we converted them into shopping vouchers and managed to get our Best Man a Hugo Boss Watch and it didnt cost us anything ?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this is probably a better idea. Goldsmiths is very over priced. When I priced up the cost of buying Mr RB's ring from there with what vouchers we would have been able to save, the extra we would have needed to pay in cash was about the amount that the ring would have cost elsewhere. Instead I used our vouchers to buy a lovely watch for my pa and some earrings for my ma.

Don't forget that your vouchers will expire at some point.

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

We used our club card voucshers and doubled them up when they did one of their promotions for flower girl dress, cost us £15 of vouchers and 99p it was lovely, so its always an option if dont get enough for the rings:

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    Alipops1986 ·
    • Hide content

We're doing the same. We've got £120 pounds of vouchers for Goldsmiths at the moment, going to swap our next lot in february by which point we'll have £160 for my OH's wedding ring so we'll buy it then.

We found an example of what he wanted and Goldsmiths can order the same, so hopefully it won't cost us much money at all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics