Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SophieM

Woe is me - hair again

SophieM, 16 of April of 2009 at 22:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 25

So I now have a flipping head fullof highlights I didn't want. Miscommunication between me, the woman who took the booking, and sweet Raphael who did my hair. I wanted just a few foils so the regrowth of the grey wouldn't look so bad, but there are loads of the damn things ? Highlights make my hair go like straw, so that's it fucked for another couple of years until they grow out.

I'm also really naffed off with the cut - if it's properly blow-dried it looks fine but I lack the time and skill to do that.

Truth is I have hated my hair for about three years now. I used to have lovely vibrant bright flashes on dark hair, but a. I think I am too old for that now, and b. it costs a fortune to maintain.I just hate the hairdresser - I hate spending 100 quid or more and three hours in the hairdresser every 8 weeks - I loathe the experience and walk out unhappy about half the time.

They've said they'll cover up some of the highlights for nothing, but with a semiparmanenet tint they'll go light again really quickly. I just don't know what to do about it.

Waaaaah.

25 replies

Latest activity by Mrs Winkle, 17 of April of 2009 at 13:42
  • Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

You are not too old for groovy colour flashes!! what a mare re your hair though, awww. can you ask for a deep conditioning treatment FOC from them as well? quelle mare - big hugs lovely x

ps i'm still waiting to find out who won the prize for guessing what LOYL made you for dinner last night ?

pps i keep meaning to thank you for that perfume, it's fabby! i owe you a big pint of Creme de Menthe or other such tipple of your choix! xxxx

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Oh bless you, Flumpstar, I'm so glad you like it.

I just want someone to sit me down and say: this is what would suit your face, your colouring, your lifestyle, and will look amazing, and do it. But I've been through so many hairdressers in the last few years and spent a fortune, and I haven't been happy with it for ages, and I just don't know who to trust to do that.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

He made lovely oriental pork streaks, by the way, with leeks and baby potatoes and a huge salad. I don't know whose guess was closest ?

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this was about your hairdresser for a moment, till I got to the bit about the leeks?

No advice about your hair, I'm sorry, but it's horrible not being happy with it isn't it? I've had mine the same way for ages and have gone to the same hairdresser for over a decade, so I'm probably due a change, but I find it so traumatic.

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

Sophie, fly to Belfast and I'll get my hairdresser to sort you out. She is fabfabfab in every way.

Unfortunately it took an evil hairdresser stealing nearly 200 pounds to make me look grey to realise this.

• Flump
    Expert January 2012
    Flump ·
    • Hide content

My new hairdresser is lovely and completely 'got' me after our first meeting, but you probably don't want to drag over to Reading do you ? It's pants when you don't trust hairdressers isn't it, I feel your pain ?

Mmmm oriental pork st[r]eaks, yummerama! x

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

LG, do hairdressers to pork steaks but not leeks? Is there some rule about this? ?

GP and Flump, you need to send yours to London, clearly. And it's so flipping spensive! And then they want tips! WTF is it all about?

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you find them, let me know.

I go to a local hairdresser at the moment - League of Gentlemen type local. They do really, really good highlights though and it only costs me £45 for a full head and cut. But I do need a really stonking haircut and I just don't trust them to do a different style. Especially not when they get going on the Bailey's on friday afternoons ?

• P
    poochanna ·
    • Hide content

Do you go to the same hairdresser? I used to have problems with my hair and then I found "the" hairdresser. Well actually they are two, I have a girl do my colour and then a fabulous gay guy do my cut. I would cry if they ever gave up. In fact, my colourist was possibly going to move to Nottingham and I said that I'd just travel there every 8 weeks to have my colour done. I think that's the trick you need to find one hairdresser and stick with them. I love going to the hairdresser now, it's like meeting a buddy for coffee and we gossip for England! Also because we have a good relationship I can speak up and say if I don't like something he's suggested.

The best way to find a good hairdresser is ask someone who's hair you love and someone who has similar hair to you. I've even asked women in the street before now ?

• S
    Beginner
    safetyzone ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about your hair Sophie...

I go to the Real Salon in Chelsea and they have a really nice lady from Thailand who does good highlights. I go to her because she understands oriental hair (it tends to go orange when bleached) and I get my hair cut there as well, fortunately they are in tune to what I want. They're not cheap but I can recommend them if you want to try a new hair salon.

I've spent quite a bit of my life salon hopping so I know about finding someone that you like is hard!

• B
    Beginner February 2008
    Boop ·
    • Hide content

Come and meet the lovely Christopher at Unruly Studio - he will do exactly what you want him too ie come up with ideas as to what will suit your face, what works with your lifestyle etc. If you don't like him / what he does then I'll pay for it!

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can't get a better offer than that ?,

I felt like you, going from one hairdresser to the next...finally I have one in Twickenham that ticks the boxes...including hilarious conversation by the slightly dippy shampoo-y girl " we can do facials now, and unblock any cuticles on your face" ?...then there was the story of the massively huge swimming pool that "has got to be aboout 10 foot long"...dear girl wouldn't stand a chance on here.

• Moose in the Garage
    Beginner May 2005
    Moose in the Garage ·
    • Hide content

Shame you don't live near Bristol Sophie - my daughter is a fab hairdresser (I am the customer from hell who is never happy with what hairdressers do and didn't go to one for years because I always hated my hair as soon as I walked out of the salon) - she does exactly what you want, has a knack of doing a really good cut and has the amusing conversation too (she spent about an hour chatting to a customer who was going on a cruise to Norway to see the fjords wondering why the customer would want to go all the way to Norway to look around fields! She's a great hairdresser bless her but her geography is rubbish!) She is the only person I trust to do my hair now.

• pigalicious
    pigalicious ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear of your hairdressing woes!

I am another who has a fantabulous hairdresser, does the whole, faceshape, mood, what suits etc. I too am fussy when it comes to hairdressers, it took me ages to find "the one" when I moved down here. She used to be Trevor Sorbie's right hand lady, she moved back to Hertfordshire about 3 years ago and I am along with with Mr P, a select group of clients she sees. I wish I could recommend her but she has just scaled back on all her hairdressing duties to concentrate on developing charity which is doing haircare for cancer patients.

Hope you manage to get a good hair day, one day!

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

? You know what, Boop, I am going to finally cave in and give Christopher a go next time, although I am terrified of what he will charge. Your hair is always gawjus and I am just so fed up with this whole business now.

Raphael who I've been going to is a real sweetie but he is v Spanish and tbh comminication with his is not the best.

• B
    Beginner February 2008
    Boop ·
    • Hide content

He's moved salons, and Unruly Studio is a lot cheaper than Selfridges. I get a cut, full head tint and highlights and I think it was £140.

Tell me when you're going and I'll call him and make sure he knows what a stroppy madam you are you're looking for ?.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

£140? <faints>

Still, I suppose if it's done well it will need doing less frequently, right?

I'll give him a go next time, in about 8 weeks I guess.

?

• B
    Beginner February 2008
    Boop ·
    • Hide content

Well, two weeks ago was the first time I'd had it done since the start of december, and my hair grows incredibly quickly. He'd done a great job with the cut and it grew out really well. There is a root / grey re-growth issue, but I'm good at ignoring it!

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

[whisper] Sophie, get it done and say you don't like it (even if you do) so Boop pays. Free, good hair [/whisper]

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? I like your thinking, Chook.

I was thinking about you last night actually, and wondering whether you'd had yours cut and curlied yet?

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Yep, the deed has been done. It's .. ok. I think I need it a bit shorter as some of the ends are still a bit damaged which makes them go a bit fuzzy/straightish when dry. I need to dye over my funny highlights too. Greys are vay obvious now!

• PhoebeBuffay
    Beginner December 2008
    PhoebeBuffay ·
    • Hide content

Sorry about your hair situation, it sucks when you have a lovely image of how you want it to look and the actual reality, I know the feeling well after asking for a Rachel haircut and ended up with something that wasn't remotely like it.

I don't know if you want to tone down the highlights you already have but I'm sure Head and Shoulders or Vosene(sp?) is good for stripping/breaking down the colour in your hair, if that makes sense. I'm pretty sure I've read that somewhere.

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

Hair is a complete pain in the wotsit! Yesterday I bit the bullet and had my flowing peroxide mane (of straw) chopped into a dark brown, blunt chin-length bob. The first thing I thought was 'oooh new me!' The second thing I thought was 'wahhhhhh I look like my mum!!!!!!!!!!' ?

My hairdresser is fab and always does exactly what I want. I think my problem is that my hair fantasy doesn't match the raw ingredients my stylist works with. In my head, I imagined myself as a gorgeous Sophie Ellis-Bextor type, when in reality I look like my mum but with a different haircut.

And yes, I LOATHE sitting there for so long too! Could never be a pamper/spa type girlie thing as I get so bloody bored!

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I still have some left actually - that stuff is da bomb! ?

And thanks for all the advice and sympathy. Hair sucks, it really does. I want to have hair like Kate Middleton, but it just isn't going to happen.

• Mrs Winkle
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Winkle ·
    • Hide content

Soph, one of my best buddies is a fabulous hairdresser (Ex-Aveda and other gorge salons), and she's been doing my hair for years. She's near me and does home visits, and she knows her stuff re: colouring too. If you're stuck, you'd be welcome to come to my house and have her look at your hair.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics