Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nutella
Beginner March 2013

Wooden shape place name/favours - opinions and help please

Nutella, 4 February, 2012 at 19:47 Posted on Planning 0 18

Ok so I posted last week about ideas for place names that could double up as favours and got some excellent suggestions. I especially liked the idea of cookies with names on, but on reflection am a little concerned about having to that so close to the wedding. Have since come up with a new idea and am looking for help in whether people think it's rubbish, or if not how to actually expand on it.

So I found a website that does wooden shapes and I thought I could write the names onto these... 2 main questions around this, 1) would you have the same shape for all, or different shape for women, men & kids? 2) just write them name on, or decorate/paint them in some other way?

All thoughts appreciated!

18 replies

Latest activity by Big Apple, 5 February, 2012 at 18:45
  • bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

I had butterfly ones of these and got my OH to drill a hole in the top of each.....i then painted them in our colours and attached a luggage tag with the wedding date on...

Do you have a theme that could determine the shape?

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I'm thinking of doing something along these lines too. Going for hearts- have found some with a pre drilled hole that come with twine attached, thought I'd paint them red for ladies and gold for men and write names on- have no clue what kind of paint and what to write the names on with... I did get a pack of hearts to try it out with but haven't been brave enough yet!

x

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit confused as to what people will do with the shaped bits of wood? Are you having seperate favours also, or are these the favours?

If your wedding in near Christmas I guess they can hang them on their tree.

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

Nutella.. you have just inspired me to try to mock up my favours.. think we are going for painting hearts and writing names on then tying around a mini jar of home made chilli jam for the boys and a little cellophane bag of home made fudge for the ladies and then probably some choc buttons for the kiddies... have found some 6cm tags on ebay for £2.90 for ten which is cheaper than the others I found online, so have ordered one pack to see what they are like. Also got some little tibetan golden coloured charms that say made with love that can sit on top of the wooden heart if you see what I mean..

As for what they do with them... I kind of hoped that people would hang them somewhere nice in their homes and think of us- on key hooks or where they hang their dressing gown.. or door handles... is that odd?! Perhaps they will save them for their Christmas trees.. we are getting married at the end of October so not too long until Christmas after that!!

x

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Bexybexy – no theme as such really, I just go with whatever seems right for each individual thing…

Butterflystar – Glad to have inspired you to get started! Please do flash once you’ve made some!!

Teal – the idea being that these are favours too, favours being something that they can take away with them. Am not at all a fan of elaborate expensive favours so tying it in with something like a place name works for me. I guess I’m thinking along the same lines as butterflystar that people will maybe hang it somewhere or even use it on their xmas tree each year etc. To be honest I’m not really fussed what they do with it – what do people do with other types of favours? Well aware though that the ladies will appreciate these more than the men which is why I was wondering about different shapes..

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Some more inspiration I've found..

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

We've found apple shaped ones on eBay. We'll be using them on our centre pieces. I always keep stuff from wedding and would either use them on the Xmas tree or would hang then on a door knob or off a mirror etc. have u decided on the shapes yet Nutella?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Big Apple - I came across some apple ones on my internet travels as well and actually thought of you ? Not sure on shapes yet, I definatley like the idea of something different for the kids, either the teddy or gingerbread man shape but not sure about for the adults.. whether to do hearts for the ladies and stars or rectangles for the men or just do the same for everyone...

• llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

We have wooden hearts that we have painted with blackboard paint.

We are writing peoples names on in chalk pens and using as place cards, either hanging from chairs or wrapped round napkins with twine.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I came across that idea when I was looking last night llindsey! Didn't even know there was such a thing as blackboard paint!!!

OH for once seems to have an opinion on something though and thinks we should paint them blue and yellow then write the name on (blue and yellow are our colours)

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Nutella- if your on fb- theres a friend of oh who carves your guest names which will act as your favour/name seating but at £3.50 each they are a bit expensive but might be worth a look anyhow Smiley smile

https://www.facebook.com/

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow your friend is most certainly talented! Bit much for our place names but I might keep in mind for a photo frame for something else. The newborn hands he's got on there made my jaw drop!!

• Moschops
    Beginner March 2014
    Moschops ·
    • Hide content

Hi Nutella

IMO I would different shapes for the women, men and kids and maybe instead of putting ribbon thru them maybe drilling a little hole and attaching those metal ring things that are used for keyrings, then putting the persons name on the front and your names and wedding date on the back, so then people could use them for a few different things then maybe?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Lisa we've pretty much decided on exactly this! Hearts for the women, plain rectangles for the men, gingerbread men for the kids. Their name on 1 side, our names and wedding date on the other, and a hole to allow them to do whatever they want with it!!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Decision made, OH and I actually agree on something pretty easily for once and the order has been placed for the shapes!

Hearts for ladies, rectangles for men, gingerbread for kids.

To be painted yellow one side and blue the other, with their name on one side and our names and wedding date on the other.

For the kids, we like the idea of getting a chalkboard paint as it then gives them something to play with as well, but we'll see how this works out when we do a trial one.

Thanks for all help and ideas!!

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

Well done Nutella, sounds like a great plan. My next quest is to figure out what kind of paint is best to use... any ideas?! x

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Not sure yet, want to do it with a spray paint as it should be quicker and less messy that way. We're going to pop round to b&q/homebase to get some advice and try some out on some random bits of wood we have to see what comes out best. OH thinks we could then just use a marker pen to write the names on but I'm not so sure..

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Nutella- they sell blue blackboard paint in b&q we have it on the wall for the kids at work its cool Smiley smile

• Big Apple
    Beginner February 2013
    Big Apple ·
    • Hide content

Sounds fab nutella! Well done for making a decision! It's not easy!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics