Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E

Work clothes help required

emmaloo166, 28 of March of 2009 at 12:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

Hi,

I'm due to start work on Monday in a Social work contact department. I haven't worked properly for 5 years so have no idea what to wear. The dress advice is smart causal. When I went for the interview most people were dressed in black trousers and a v neck jumper with boots or heels. I dont want to get stuck in a rut of wearing black trousers day in and day out. I am a size 18 with a big chest. So can anybody guide me on where to go shopping and what I need to look out for.

Thank you

Emmaloo166

13 replies

Latest activity by Alex, 27 of February of 2024 at 16:25
  • Hungry Caterpillar
    Beginner
    Hungry Caterpillar ·
    • Hide content

I have to dress "smart-casual" and I have to say the black trousers / v-neck top combo sounds very much like me!

To alternate, how about other colours of trousers (I have grey and dark brown as well as black) and I also have a couple of skirts (black and grey). At first I used to wear smart shirts but now I usually wear long sleeved tops or jumpers as shirts are harder to wash and iron.

I tend to get my work stuff from Next and Debenhams. Also if you have a big chest as you said, how about Bravissimo for tops - I have seen lots of nice shirts / tops in there but I have enough at the moment and shouldn't buy more...

• Redbedhead
    Beginner August 2006
    Redbedhead ·
    • Hide content

I am a similar size and shape to you and have also just returned to work. I have found Marks and Spencer to be my saviour. They are pretty good at work basics like well cut trousers and tops. Then each month I am adding a few things to it, ideally with more colour (I have a lot of black at the moment!!) and to suit the changing weather.

Some of the tops I have that are comfortable and fit nicely are:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B001N0R2F2/sr=1-20/qid=1238248203/ref=sr_1_20/280-4604337-5841143?ie=UTF8&node=&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=n%3A83175031&page=3

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B001N4BGSW/sr=1-30/qid=1238248223/ref=sr_1_30/280-4604337-5841143?ie=UTF8&node=&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=n%3A83175031&page=4

http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/product/B001CEMLG4/sr=1-18/qid=1238248280/ref=sr_1_18/280-4604337-5841143?ie=UTF8&node=&m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&keywords=&mnSBrand=core&size=9&rh=n%3A73433031%2Cp_10%3ABlack&page=2

• swedish leprechaun
    Beginner August 2006
    swedish leprechaun ·
    • Hide content

This is pretty much my dress code and I am a size 20/22 with ❤️❤️ so live in grey/brown trousers from John Rocha at Debenhams, a good pair of heeled boots from Clarks and M&S tops that wash well and don't need ironing and jumpers/cradis from Priniples/M&S/ Debenhams. I prefer cardis as our heating system seems to be irratic to say the least. I have a few pashminas around if I want to look a bit smarter.

Enjoy your new job

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

Congrats on the new job and your return to work!

I would say stick on the smart side of casual, esp to start with, as you'll appear more professional, which can only be a good thing. Maybe trousers with a top and jumper or cardigan, a shirt or this year's saviour the shirt sleeve & neck with jumper body combo! Or a flared or pencil skirt with a blouse or top and a great belt. Smart dresses on the knee can also look great and are really comfortable. For me, heels make an outfit and you can get some great cheap pairs in Next, Primark and New Look.

Check out what the men are wearing too as at my work it's often commented on, in a negative way, how the ladies get away with being far more casual as the men have to wear a shirt & tie.

I'm afraid no-nos in the office for me are any sort of vest top as they can be revealing or pashmina's which I see as an evening cover-up. Hope no offence caused as not meaning to.

• E
    emmaloo166 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for ther advice and the words of encouragement. I'm off to the Trafford Centre tomorrow work wear shopping and I'm now armed with some great hitched advice.

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content

Well done on the job!

If there is a decent quality outlet type place near you (which I am sure there is), see if you can find a Hobbes store - I went to our nearest one and got standard issue type black trousers (should have been £120 down to £35), a black fitted and lined skirt (should have been £90 down to £28) and a fab grey pinafore type thing that should have been £140 and was £39.

The other thing I would suggest if you are meeting the public is a lightly padded bra - the sort that disguises pointiness!

• E
    emmaloo166 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks KJX never thought about the bra thing but will invest in a slightly padded bra. Cheshire oaks is not to far away so will take a trip out there next weekend and see what is around.

Thank you

Oh another question do I need a documment bag I have a selection of handbags but I noticed when going for interviews some people had leather documment wallets are they something I need, if so any reccomendations?

Thank you

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content

I had a 'Mum' handbag - which was cavernous, so didn't really need one. You will need to carry a reasonably hefty diary as well, so a normal handbag that can hold a file + phone + diary etc. would probably cover it. A document bag does look good, but I was worried about coming over as very formal (I dealt mostly with teens).

• E
    emmaloo166 ·
    • Hide content

Okay. I think I will look for a non documment wallet but a decent sized leather handbag which can fit all bits and bobs in. Thank you once again KJX.

So were/are you a social worker KJX?

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content

No - i was what used to be called an Assistant Social Worker - back in the days when Social Worker wasn't a 'protected' title - I have no social work qualifications that would meet registration requirements. As such, I wasn't (ahem) allowed (ahem) to handle Child Protection cases (cough), Looked After Children cases (splutter) or anything that was in legal. (gasp). Case load demands however.......

• E
    emmaloo166 ·
    • Hide content

Lol. I know what you mean. I know things need to be regulated but Im sure there are many people in the same position who would be fantastic but dont have the qualifications. I have only very recently completed my degree and I'm now crapping myself about being unleasher into the big wide world.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

For summer, how about pretty knee-length a-line skirts with ballet flats?

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

They have some lovely asymmetric cardigan Hobbes (longer at the front than at the back). They're really versatile and can be worn loose or belted, and do suit boobage Smiley laugh I really like longer fitted cardigans, especially ones in more unusual finishes/fibres (i.e. not cable knit!). M&S (poss. Autograph?) have some nice knits too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics