Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holey
Beginner July 2011

Work wear help please (again!)

Holey, 13 March, 2013 at 12:58 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

I'm due to start a new job in a few weeks time and want to smarten myself up abit and splash out on some new work clothes. Our dress code isn't suits or anything, just smart office wear. Currently I wear black trousers and a jumper of some sort usually from Primark. But I really want to look a bit nicer. So a few recommendations if you can please:

1) Where can I buy decent work trousers from? Don't necessarily have to be black but I'd prefer it. I'm tall so need at least a 34inch inside leg. I normally buy from Next but the last couple of pairs I've had from there have been awful so hoping for some different inspiration. I have seen some in Topshop that look good (and cheap £22!) but haven't bought anything from there for years so have no idea about sizing and none of our local shops sell them apparently, so anyone any got any experience?

2) I'm thinking for tops I could get some nice blouses and then wear cardigans over the top at the moment, so where is good for cardis and blouses? I did see some nice tops in New Look this week.

Budget is probably up to £50 for a pair of trousers and tops upto £20. I'm also a size 12 if it helps.

Just to add, I can't really wear dresses or skirts to work as I may be called out to site at a moments notice so skirts aren't really practical!

Thanks!

12 replies

Latest activity by sal.san, 13 March, 2013 at 14:48
  • N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

I have some really nice work pieces from BHS, both trousers and tops. Their stuff is very reasonable, they nearly always have a sale on and I find it washes/lasts well.

I generally update my work wardrobe every Spring and Autumn ready for the 2 seasons ahead and in there can get quite a lot of stuff that I can mix and match with each other as well as co-ordinate with existing stuff for £100 or so if they have a 30% off day on.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Congrats on the new job!

Like you l have long legs and normally get long length trousers from Topshop or sometimes River Island -Next don't seem to fit me very nicely. Topshop sizing is small e.g. l am a size 10-12 bit in Topshop the 12's are often a little snug.

I quite like New Look for tops as well as Oasis (bit expensive these days or maybe l am tight!), Warehouse and Next.

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

Pretty much everything I own comes from Oasis and they've just started their sale so you might find something:

https://www.oasisfashion.com/womens/clothing

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I go to Gap for my work trousers, they do the extra long length and they last an age. You'll get some really lovely stuff from Oasis and Warehouse too.

• cass_b
    Beginner April 2014
    cass_b ·
    • Hide content

I would try Dorothy Perkins for tops and H&M they do loads of nice bits and bobs. M&S sell good quality trousers, you can't really go wrong for smart office clothes in good old M&S.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Lovely thanks everyone. Will try Gap, M&S and BHS for trousers then.

I think I'm scared to look at the Oasis sale as I know I'll find loads of other stuff!

Flora I loved Mango but the one near us has shut down and I find I need to try stuff on because I'm a funny shape!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I normally find the 'tall' section too tall! ?

I don't mind charity shops at all, love a bargain, problem is if I want to go to all the shops everyone else has suggested I have to go to Milton Keynes and there are no charity shops in the centre. I also find because everything is so cheap I buy stuff I shouldn't be!

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

I buy my work trousers in Sainsburys - usually around the £20 mark and good quality.

Tops I tend to buy the ones with the fake shirt inside so they look a bit smart and the last few I got were at Matalan - under a tenner and good quality too!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good idea. They prevent the boob gaping thing!

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Try Asda/Tesco/Sainsbury as well for tops/jackets etc. I find in the supermarkets that the trousers arent long enough for me but tops etc are ok.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics