Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner August 2015

Worried about ripping my dress

derdle, 3 of August of 2015 at 11:51 Posted on Planning 0 4

I had my final dress fitting on Saturday and it looks amazing! However, I'm worried about the length. My dressmaker shortened the front a little as I found I was catching it with my toe, but the sides are still quite long. I'm worried that it could still easily catch under my foot when I walk, or that my HTB or dad might tred on it and it'll rip. I can obviously make sure I walk slowly and take small steps so that I hopefully notice before it's too late, but it's really worrying me. Do you think I should go back to the shop and ask the dressmaker to shorten the sides a little as well?!

4 replies

Latest activity by Scottish_Sarah, 3 of August of 2015 at 21:03
  • CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think shortening the sides will stop other people from standing on your dress. This is something I'm choosing not to think about. If it's going to be stood on, it will be stood on (mine has a longish train so lots to stand on). Hopefully people will be more careful around you in your dress.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Im afraid that everyone will stand on it all day- its gonna happen. be careful before the ceremony but after try not to let it bother you and enjoy being in the dress, its going to get dirty whatever you do.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I agree - our daughter wasn't sentimental about her dress at all and fully intended to sell it afterwards so we could recoup some of our money! However, it had a bit of a train and unfortunately, people stood on it when they were dancing and it got ripped in quite a few places. Stiletto heels are lethal on a dance floor! Her Grandma used to be a seamstress and she did try her best to mend it but all the net underneath was ripped and there were bits missing and the organza along the hem was ripped beyond belief! Just enjoy your day and don't worry too much about it.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

My own memories of our wedding day is fuzzy. Most of it whizzed by. I barely remember the ceremony. I have vague recollections of being there. Can't be sure.

One thing I do remember and will never forget though is my wife telling me to stop standing on the dress!

I now advise all grooms I photograph to shuffle all day long to avoid the same rollockings advice I got ?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

My wedding dress has quite a few tares in it but not from walking down the aisle or ceremony or even from wondering around at the reception - it came purely from dancing - BM even tried a tutu from the fancy dress box (photobooth) to try to tie it up but it didn't work - did I care - nope the look with the tutu was pretty entertaining too! I had an awesome time ceilidh dancing and wouldn't change it for the world!

If your selling it or want to keep it pristine for the future then you can always get changed after the first dance to a knee length number? A colleague did this and her dress definitely stayed in tack!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics