Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner September 2015

Worried about venue

Future*mrsP, 27 of September of 2014 at 15:58 Posted on Planning 0 11

We booked our venue at beginning of Sept for 12 Sept next year. Its a converted barn where we will have ceremony and reception, around 50 day and 80 evening guests. We arranged ceremony room, welcome drinks, afternoon tea, hog roast, wine on tables, fizz for toasts, chair covers and sashes, and dj for just over £3k. We paid 500 deposit when we booked.

Now for the reason I'm worried. We have had no written confirmation, which was also supposed to contain the dates and amounts we would have to pay, the first of which was 12 months before the day.... that passed 2 weeks ago but because we have not been told the amount we haven't paid anything. I have chased these details a number of times but have had emails not responded to and phone calls not returned. I have spoken to the woman that runs the place last week and she assured me the confirmation would be sent straight away but still nothing. I have sent an email today telling her how concerned i am and that if we don't hear back with the confirmation and payment dates then i don't really see how the planning can continue.

Am i right to be worried? If we do have to look elsewhere then as i see it they will have to give us our deposit back as we have no contact and no details of their cancellation policy. I am loathed to start the search again as we chose this place cos it was a more relaxed plan at a price we can afford. I really don't know what to do

11 replies

Latest activity by Future*mrsP, 29 of September of 2014 at 15:48
  • FallBride2018
    Beginner October 2018
    FallBride2018 ·
    • Hide content

I would be concerned too, I don't think I can give much helpful advice but I wouldn't count on getting your deposit back. Everywhere we've looked for venues have all said a non-refundable deposit.

I think the only thing you can do is keep calling and emailing. I've found with other non wedding related companies that the more noise and fuss I make the more likely I am to get a response, because they just want you to leave them alone after a while.

It sounds like you got a great deal, I'm not sure if you'd find that elsewhere.

I hope you get a confirmation through the post next week sometime though - put your mind at ease.

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

I would be worried and definitely don't pay any more until you have something in writing. Do you have a receipt for the deposit and wedding insurance? If you do you may be able to claim it back.

X

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Yes i would also be concerned! If you don't hear back from her, could you go to the venue in person to talk to her? If i'm honest, i wouldn't feel comfortable getting married there if they are behaving like this.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Can I clarify something? You say that you're waiting for paperwork concerning payment schedules. Do you already have a contract? Did you sign a contract when you paid the deposit or did you hand over £500 without a contract?

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content

No we dont have a contract yet...thats what im waiting for. (Let all of the tuts and cries of 'why would you pay without one' commence!!). It all happened in a bit of a rush really...the registrar only had one date in sept left at the time of day we wanted, we loved the venue so we just went for it.

I honestly dont think they are trying to rip me off....please don't let that phrase come back to haunt me! Its quite a small venue, not a hotel, so its not open with somewhere there all the time, just when they have functions or are getting ready for one. I just think she is being a bit cr*p at sending stuff out. Really my worry is more that im going to have this lack of communication making everything really stressful for the next 12 months, rather than worrying she has run off with our money. We do have wedding insurance...not sure if that will cover cancellation due to cr*pness though!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Wedding insurance usually only covers professional suppliers that issue contracts. I don't think a "non-contract" agreement would be covered.

When you pay a supplier a deposit you are accepting the terms in the contract. I'm not sure if some brides are confused as you're the 2nd one I've come across today who has given a supplier money without having a contract.

If you pay in advance of seeing the contract they can put whatever they like in it! You have no come-back if the price has changed... or anything.

If you have seen the contract and the two parties are in the process of signing (eg I send mine out by email regularly) then it's fine to pay a deposit. But in business you'd never pay the deposit before even seeing the contract.

I think all you can do is chase them. Write a letter and state that you require the contract to be issued within 7 working days.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

If you have kept all of your email correspondence then that would form the contract and as soon as money has changed hands then that is both party's acceptance of the correspondence. this is known as an Implied Contract.
    But insurance may be funny about this type of contract
  • B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

I would get on the phone to them asap and get something in writing, they can send over the contract by email.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

At this point, I would give up on phoning snd emailing. Get yourself down there, demand to see the manager and get your paperwork sorted there and then.

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content

Ok, had email back this morning explaining that she had not been in the office for last 2 weeks following a family bereavement. We are going through exactly the same situation ourselves at the moment with my future mother in law having passed away very suddenly 2 weeks ago and having the funeral to get through this week. So to say I understand would be an understatement. As i said before it is a very small venue that doesn't have a raft of staff and managers there for things to be chased etc. The lady I'm in contact with is company director/ venue manager/wedding Coordinator rolled into one, so i can appreciate that if she isn't there to do things, they don't get done. I do feel better about it now I have heard back.....but still won't be dishing out any money until i have the paperwork!

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Has she said if she is sending the contract out to you.

glad you have heard back from her though.

• F
    Beginner September 2015
    Future*mrsP ·
    • Hide content

Yes she has said she will send everything out

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics