Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MsCoffeeCrazy
Beginner July 2015

Worried we haven't invited enough guests

MsCoffeeCrazy, 20 of June of 2015 at 09:25 Posted on Planning 0 17

My wedding is 5 weeks away today and I'm starting to panic. When we started planning we agreed that we only wanted around 65 people at the wedding (all day) because of the budget and because we only wanted people there who we really wanted there, so we could spend as much time as possible with the people we love rather than spending a lot of the day making small talk with people we barely ever see. Because of this we we're really strict with the guest list and invited around 70 people, around 5 of which have not been able to make it) so we're spot on with numbers. However, I went to see my venue and the co-ordinator made a comment about 'don't worry, when the tables are in you wont feel like its a huge space with not many people in it' which has made me think, 'will it?'

this is our reception room, (not the best pic but shows the size) we'll only be having about ten tables including the top table.

I was just wondering how many people everyone is having at there wedding? is anyone having a similar sized venue to us with a similar number of guests? I think I'm just looking for a bit of reassurance. Thanks. x

17 replies

Latest activity by HappyYellowHair540, 2 of April of 2016 at 17:50
  • soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

If the co-ordinator says it'll be ok, I'm sure they can make it work! That is a huge space, but if you only want those people there, then don't stress about it Smiley smile As you said, you don't want a load of people there just for the sake of it. You can strategically place the tables in the middle or one end of the room and if you're having the reception (band/dancefloor?) in the same room it will make life easier for any change over that will be happening!

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry, I think the wedding co-ordinator's comment had the opposite effect of the intended effect! Your wedding day is a special day and you should only have people there that you really want there. 10 tables sounds like there will be plenty of furniture in the room so it definitely won't look empty. Are you having fewer than 10 people on each table? If so, there are definitely benefits to that, more arm space and it gives people more of a chance to talk to everyone. ?

• critter1066
    Beginner September 2015
    critter1066 ·
    • Hide content

We are in a similar position with around 60 guests in a big room. I think we will have tables of 10 but only sit 6-8 on each on the ones we can get away with so the tables bulk out the space a bit.

• MsCoffeeCrazy
    Beginner July 2015
    MsCoffeeCrazy ·
    • Hide content

Yes we're having 6-8 people per table too. Critter are you worried the room will look empty? I'm concerned people will look around thinking 'where is everybody?'

• critter1066
    Beginner September 2015
    critter1066 ·
    • Hide content

I was a little at the beginning but the room has a bar in it so I figured if the tables are strategically placed it could leave a natural looking space around the bar and entrance into the room, then leave perhaps a slightly bigger gap between the tables than normal but not enough to look obvious, haha! We are going to have our table plan and card box away from the tables, then the cake further from that, so there will be 'points of interest' away from the actual tables. We are also having a small top table (just us and parents) which will mean a few more people to add to the other tables (although this isn't the reason why we are having a small table - our best man and my bridesmaid are in a relationship but my other bridesmaid's husband isn't in the bridal party, so felt it would be unfair to split them up or just have one bridesmaid with us).

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

MsCC please don't worry. I have been to a wedding with around 40 guests in a large grand room and it was amazing! I felt really special to have been included, given the small numbers (and I didn't know the bride or groom, I was a plus one with my then boyfriend, now fiance). It was a great atmosphere, one of the best weddings I have been to. I think you had the right idea keeping numbers small, I worry I am going to do the awkward small talk thing when I will want to be DANCING. We are having 85 guests in a large room and I am not really decorating it but at 4 weeks away I am not worrying about it anymore and am just starting to get really, really excited!

I think 65 guests might just be the perfect number, and nobody is going to wish there were more people!

• MrsLT
    Beginner November 2015
    MrsLT ·
    • Hide content

Hello MsCoffeeCrazy

We are inviting 38 for the day an extra 44 for the evening. I never wanted to have a huge wedding, and luckily my partner was very agreeable to this so we're just having close friends and family. Our venue is a country hotel which is fairly big but not huge. It's going to be the most special day of your life regardless and I'm sure you will have a wonderful day. By the time you're all there having fun, chatting, dancing and drinking you won't even think about it Smiley smile Hope all goes well xx

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Better to have only your favorite people and a bit more space than faces your not that bothered about with less space if you get what I mean. To be honest it's a bit late in the day to invite more as a b list can be seen as a bit rude but are there any people you neatly wanted but didn't make the 65 cut?

• MsCoffeeCrazy
    Beginner July 2015
    MsCoffeeCrazy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies I feel much better, it's nice to speak to fellow brides, my friends who aren't getting married seem to think I'm crazy to worry about these things!

• MrsG_to_be
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsG_to_be ·
    • Hide content

This makes me feel better too! We have quite a large venue that can host up to 200 but we invited 75 and only have 48 attending now due to someone unable to travel as far or dropping out last minute (it's two weeks away)! Fiancé is freaking out more than me that it will look empty and be boring but I think it's quality not quantity. We have 8 tables including the top table and have just broken the large room up with some decorative indoor fencing! At least we don't have to do the boring awkward line up to greet guests and I can talk to everyone easily!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Our venue could seat 150 max - we had 67 RSVPs (including 3 kids) but on the day only 65 made it (1 guest broke his foot the day before, and my cousin's husband was quarantined at work!) We had 8 tables of 8-10, 4 on each side of the room and it was perfect. It didn't feel empty at all and all the space was "used" once we had cake table, gift table and photo prop tables set up. Don't worry, your venue will be adept at "filling" the space and it will look/feel perfect on the day.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Our venue held 110 seated but we only wanted a smaller wedding so had set our daytime numbers at 60... We had a top table of 8 then 6 round tables of between 7 and 9 and there is no way anyone would have said the room was sparse. It was laid out really well, and certainly looked full to me. In fact, I think having the full 110 we were allowed would have been waaaay too cramped!

Don't worry at all. It will be amazing!

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarahm66 ·
    • Hide content

Please don't worry - our venue could hold up to 100 guests - we had 50 in it and I was surprised how 'cosy' it was with 50 people in it. In all honesty, on the day, you'll forget you even worried about this! Good luck hun.

• E
    Beginner June 2015
    excited bride2015 ·
    • Hide content

Please don't worry.

I have just got married, has 66 guests and a room a simliar size.

We had 8 tables and the room looked full.

in fact i think the numbers were ideal.

• E
    Beginner June 2016
    ExpensiveGoldCakes543 ·
    • Hide content

Hello Smiley smile

my wedding is in few months, and i am freaking out about the number of guests. I was wondering, how was your wedding? I hope it was perfect ?.

I am also worried that someone will bail out at the last minute...

thanks Smiley smile

Andrijana

• MsCoffeeCrazy
    Beginner July 2015
    MsCoffeeCrazy ·
    • Hide content

Hi, our wedding was awesome! I really worried about the number of guess beforehand but I'm really glad we didnt invite any 'extras', on the day we were surrounded by people that we really wanted to be there, didn't have to make awkward small talk with anyone we weren't really close with, don't worry! X

• E
    Beginner June 2016
    ExpensiveGoldCakes543 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks a lot!!!

• H
    Beginner February 2017
    HappyYellowHair540 ·
    • Hide content

At first, I think you should listen to your co-ordinator's advice. And finally, you should invite people, who you really want to see on your wedding day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics