Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2015

Worst day ever!

Emm1983, 10 of July of 2015 at 21:26 Posted on Planning 0 12

I've been in this forum for about a year now, but although I comment on other brides post, I've never actually done one on my own.
Well today I want to share what I've learnt with any new brides.
It's less then 7 weeks till I get married and last night I got the call that none of us ever expect...although we should all know this is a possibility.
My bridal shop had closed down!
From which I'd ordered (and paid for in full) my wedding dress, and my 4 bridesmaid dresses (which I'd paid 50 %).
I'm sure you can imagine my reaction!
I've still not been informed by the actual shop owner, it's lucky my friend read it in the local news.
Well today has been spent ringing round local bridal shops, panicking and a hell of a lot of crying.
Luckily a local bridal shop was contacted by her supplier and given my name, she asked around in facebook and another bridal shop (who I'd been communicating with) saw this and pointed me in her direction. My bridesmaid dresses were with her supplier (which I had to pay an extre £120 to get released), and after 2 hours of ringing round bridal stores she found out my dress was still with sincerity. The shop owner had not paid a penny to either sincerity or the bridesmaid dress supplier impressions.
It's cost me a another £490 )on top of the £1000 I'd already paid in full) to get them to release my wedding dress.
I'm actually very lucky, due to two amazing bridal shops I now have my dresses. Although I have learned a lesson which I wish to share with any other brides out there currently dress shopping.
No1-try not to buy your bridesmaid dresses and your wedding dresses from the same shop. If one goes bust at least you have he other.
No2- it doesn't matter how great the shop seams and how lovely the owner seams you could still end up screwed over!
No3-keep all your receipts
No4-for the love of God GET WEDDING INSURENCE!

12 replies

Latest activity by Lui, 12 of July of 2015 at 11:51
  • AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

I am sorry to hear that, such bad news, and the last thing you need so close to the wedding. I hope it all works out and you have a great day in the end.

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

How awful! I have heard of this kind of thing happening a few times and it makes me a bit worried.

Glad you've got it sorted though and at least have a dress.

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

That sounds absolutely devastating! Smiley sad

I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I'm also really glad it's been fixed. I don't think I'd be so lucky! Smiley heart

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

How awful! I'm glad you managed to get your and your bridesmaid's dresses but what an ordeal!

• E
    Beginner August 2015
    Emm1983 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies. It has been awful but I class myself as lucky as I've ended up with my dresses. Just feel sorry for the brides who've ended up with nothing.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry you've had that experience. I hope everything else goes smoothly for you.

This cannot be repeated enough.

• S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad you've gotten sorted. For this sort of thing, if you've paid by credit card or Visa Debit, you should be able to recover what you had paid to the original store, or at the very least what you've had to pay on top of the original costs.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Now that is a real wedding trauma! I am so pleased that you got in sorted and that you came back on here to share your story and advice.

Hopefully it will all be plain sailing now. Put this out of your mind and have a fantastic wedding.

• E
    Beginner August 2015
    Emm1983 ·
    • Hide content

I did pay visa debit so that's good to know, I'll have to go in and speak to my bank.
    Thanks x

• W
    Beginner October 2006
    Winterflower ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like you have been fortunate to be able to get your dresses. I think wedding insurance is great advice for any brides to be out there. Also pay by credit card rather than debit card or cash as I believe that provides a certain level of coverage. The only way to be truly safe is buying a sample or a second hand dress and taking it away there and then.

I don't want to sound like I had it worse but both my wedding dress shop and bridesmaid shop closed down. The wedding dress shop owner would not communicate and it was only because she was opening a new shop (no longer in business) that my friend who was working for trading standards spoke to her and ensured I got the dress.

The dress shop where I got the bridesmaids dresses also had a florist and were doing my flowers couldn't have been more different despite loosing there shop or being forced out of their shop. They continually communicated with us. They were done over by the owner of their shop who said they had been late paying rent however the owner just wanted to open her own bridal shop and florists. The dress shop people managed to retrieve their stock from the shop and basically worked from home. My bridesmaids dresses hadn't come in to shop so they had them redirected. They would have even sorted me a wedding dress. The flowers they put together were exactly what I wanted.

• V
    Beginner September 2016
    Violet89 ·
    • Hide content

I think I saw you in the local news! MEN? Glad you have another dress as that is most brides nightmare!

• E
    Beginner August 2015
    Emm1983 ·
    • Hide content

It was t me in the men, that was how the news was broke to me. It was awful as the owner appears to have left the country, she helped us in no way. It was other bridal shops who had nothing to do with it that helped quite a few of us locate our dresses which were still at the designers. Luckily I've got my original dress, unluckily I've had to pay more for it. A heard about it quite quickly, but I believe the suppliers were getting pissed off towards the end of the day and refusing to deal with it. The worse part of it was not knowing where to start looking for our dresses. There was no infomation, the shop owner just deserted us! Definatly make sure you get insurance ladies, I feel a bloody idiot for not having it.

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

Oh god that's sounds horrible! I'm glad to hear that you have your dresses, even if it did cost a little extra!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics