Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner January 2015

Worst job youve ever had!

murphy88, 14 of January of 2014 at 15:24

Posted on Off Topic Posts 55

What is the worst job you have ever had? (I am bored!) Mine was working at amazon at Christmas a few years ago! I have never been so drained in my entier life! I worked 10pm-6am had stupidly strict targets and worked about 13miles in one shift! If anyone watched the programme on BBC its all true! ...

What is the worst job you have ever had? (I am bored!)

Mine was working at amazon at Christmas a few years ago!
I have never been so drained in my entier life! I worked 10pm-6am had stupidly strict targets and worked about 13miles in one shift!

If anyone watched the programme on BBC its all true!

55 replies

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Arquard- when I worked in call centre I loved it! People are filthy rude and I was frequently told I was stupid, fat,a slag and personally responsible for the deaths of many oap's....it never ever bothered me though. I could always turn the custeromers around so they loved me by the end of it.

I worked as a recruitment consultant on a graduate scheme- I used to cry every morning I hated it so much.

provsbly my worst was my work experience at a poodle parlor. I spent two weeks smelling of dog, they were cruel to the animals and the owner made me clean her flat. Hideous.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

A bank call centre after I left uni for 2 months. Used to cry myself to sleep every night, it was absolutely crap.

I always thought I would like recruitment - maybe not judging by some of the stories here!

Off to google angel kiss....

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I look after in house recruitment now- a million times better.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I used to work as a waitress in a cocktail bar greasy spoon as a Saturday job and stank of chips at the end of every shift. My Dad used to drive me home with the car windows open.

To add insult to injury, I had to wear a brown dress that looked like it came from the 1970s and a frilly apron that customers sitting behind me would untie ?.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I've never had a really awful job. Did various admin/secretarial temp roles in my gap year and in uni holidays as a student, which were dull but I was never treated badly like some stories you hear!

Being an FY1 (junior doctor in first year post-qualification) is pretty horrible, my worst was my medical firm which was horribly understaffed, chaotically busy, and covered some wards which were almost entirely staffed by agency nurses who didn't give a **** and liked bullying junior doctors. It's incredibly stressful and I felt so isolated when I was on call, you're just running round the hospital chasing your tail, being bleeped constantly and some nurses seem to think that if you're not on their ward you must be being lazy in a coffee room somewhere, rather than trying to firefight on 10 other wards as well.

I don't think anybody enjoys that bit though, you do it because you have to get through it in order to get to the next stage.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

This

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rainbow%20kisses

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I've hated both jobs I've had. First was when I was 17 and I worked as a a full time admin assistant through my summer holiday to pay for my driving lessons. I got rubbish money (I presume due to my age) and no break, it was horrible. I did 9-5 Mon-Fri for 4 weeks and ended up with about £360 for my trouble. That equates to about £2 something an hour which obviously is ridiculous. I still get cross about it now!

My other job is sales assistant in a small convenience super market. Being looked down upon every day, being called stupid, being expected to take all sorts of nasty comments without a reaction because 'I am the face of the business'. Does my head in. I only hope that despite the issues I've got I pass my degree and can do something with my life.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

After I was made redundant I did temp work at a well known DIY store's head office. First two weeks was fine, we were testing their new computer system but then I had to do call centre work. I was making out bound calls to customers who had had kitchens installed and doing a questionnaire. I had to ask to take my break despite sitting right in front of the woman in charge and also couldn't go to the toilet except on my break (9 hour day with one 45 minute break). At the end of the first day I was asked if I 'was actually making any calls' because it wasn't showing up on her screen. It was just a terrible atmosphere and the 'team leaders' were all on massive power trips. I lasted 2 days before I found out I'd got a permanent job doing what I had been doing before I was made redundant.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds horrible.

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

In bronze place - I worked as a chambermaid for a hotel, cleaning puke and pee for £2 an hour, which wasn't great but wasn't the worst.

In silver - a lettuce picking place. We picked lettuce with a small knife, put them in a plastic bag, and dropped them on the field. Someone else picked them up and put them on a conveyer belt to a tractor, and a team inside the tractor trailer did the job of rolling the lettuce bags and sellotaping them down. So for hours on end you'd either be bent over lettuces, or sellotaping them. Lettuce sap got into your hands and made them black, and it didn't wash off for 4 weeks after you finished the job. The boss was a git, and you were paid to the minute. If there wasn't enough work you could be sent home with no notice. There was also an exciting chinese leaf variation, where you used a machete instead of a knife - harder to cut through are chinese leaf.

In gold place for crappiest job I've had - a potato factory. Exciting tasks included standing at the end of a conveyer belt sticking a sticker onto prepacked new potatoes and being told off if the sticker was a few degrees off straight. (Best job in the factory.) Packing 4 jacket potatotes into a foam pack and sending them down a conveyer belt. And my personal favourite - putting on a pair of rubber gloves and picking manky mounldy or green potatoes off a conveyer belt and chucking them into the bin. Stinky, dull as anything for hours on end, and your hands went all sweaty and manky in the gloves. Bleurgh. It was also split shifts so that one week I'd have to be up at 5am to cycle to work for a 5.30am start (no partying that week) and the following week you'd be on 2.30pm till whenever finished - officially 11pm, but sometimes 2am. (No partying that week either.) This was pre-minimum wage, so was performed for the princely sum of something pathetic like £2.80 an hour.

These were all student summer jobs, I'm very proud of not having a student loan, but sometimes think it may not have been worth it!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Working in a particular pub/restaurant. A couple of the locals used to drive me mad. They constantly make a big joke about my 'common' (their words) accent and used to try copying it to amuse themselves when I took orders from them and make references to me being slow (things like - are you sure you can remember three drinks at once and I've only got a 20 - can you calculate the change?), and make up nicknames they found hugely funny to refer to us. They also used to loudly talk about the physical attributes of the female staff and were handsy at kicking out time.

I also had a job where I had to write numbers on the back of cheques then photocopy them. Every day. All day. I got very bored

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

My worst job was a temp role I got after finishing at uni before getting a 'proper job'.

It was working for a mobile phone company testing new phones and software. It consisted of being issued with a spreadsheet of tasks and have a 'tester' phone and a 'control' phone. Some of the tasts included receiving a call whilst sending a text. Send a text with the radio on etc etc, lists and lists of them You had to do each tast between 50 and 100 times each and record if it passed or failed. If it did fail you would have to repeat the task another 200 times to see if it was a one off or an actual fault.

It was mind numbing. Needless to say I passed most things so I didn't have to do it a million more times.

Apologies to anyone who had phone software full of bugs circa 2006/7!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's closed down now luckily- poor dogs Smiley sad

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Did there name begin with W? If so then l used to work for them years ago.

This is tough.... My last job was pretty hell like with 13.5 hour days with no breaks, poor management, no support etc. Then again doing telesales was slightly more soul destroying.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I worked as a cleaner at a pub when I was desperate for money, cleaning the men's toilet after a Saturday night was not pleasant ?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Oo some gooduns here!!

Mine was working for a well known Fitness chain (rhymes with Bitness Burst) as a sales rep..i was cold calling business's and chasing people down the street to get them to join. If you didnt reach your target that week, theyd make you do an hour spin with the most evil instructer. My first week i was sick from it. I quit in my second week

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WHAT?!?! That can't be legal!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes it does!