Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MsCoffeeCrazy
Beginner July 2015

Worst wedding ever?

MsCoffeeCrazy, 30 of September of 2014 at 17:40 Posted on Planning 0 23

I've been thinking about ways to make sure our reception is a good night for our guests. It got me to thinking about what can go wrong. I was just wondering what the worst weddings you've ever been to have been and why? Thought it would make an interesting thread!

23 replies

Latest activity by Sparty, 2 of October of 2014 at 13:45
  • S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I don't think any wedding I've attended has been the worst wedding ever!

I've been to some where things weren't quite right for certain things - one friend I think got duped by a hotel telling them their recpetion room could take 150 in reality it was boiling hot and overcrowded with nowhere for anyone to sit and their first entertainment was a comedian so everyone was sweltering for 40 minutes.

As someone who doesn't eat meat I've also struggled at weddings with food - one wedding my OH had to go grab me some food from our car as the butcher (was a hog roast) forgot the veggie option and there wasn't any veggie food for the evening either.

Saying this I think weddings are personal - we struggle in formal hotel or grand wedding settings - just don't feel very comfortable, I'm sure others would be horrified at having a reception in a barn which is on a working farm and a buffet instead of sit down dinner oh and absolutely no meat served at all!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

At the wedding of a cousin of mine, a fight broke out and one of my other cousins, who was heavily pregnant, got kicked in the stomach and ended up in A&E. So you know, don't have any bolshy drunks at your wedding and you'll be fine Smiley smile

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't say it was a bad wedding at all but at a friends everything over ran and we didn't get our sit down meal until 7pm (should have been 4.30pm), the room had the sun blaring into the windows and it was like an oven in there. Evening guests we waiting outside the room until around 9pm when we all quickly ate our dessert.

It was a good day though, just unfortunate that it ran over so much. I felt so sorry for my friend because she was quite stressed about it all and to top it off her mum had changed the seating plan without her consent and her mums friends were on the tables where the brides friends should have been. We were shoved to the corner of the room, she was gutted when she realised.

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's awful, hope she and baby were ok.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Where there was no structure during the day so everyone kind of floated around not knowing where to go/what to do and not enough food in the buffet..... always make sure there's not enough food

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yes, they were thankfully. Said baby is a teenager now! I didn't see who started the fight, but I definitely suspect another of my cousin's husbands, who is known in our family to drink and get confrontational. When we finally get around to having a reception, I'll be keeping a very close eye on him!

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding in a country house, the wedding had cost nearly £40000. The bride couldn't walk in her dress because she had forgotten to buy a hoop, I was violently sick due to food poisoning (some other guests got it too). And then the bride tripped up and *fell* out of her dress. Also due to the number of guests we were split in to 3 rooms for the wedding breakfast and the disco was two rooms from the bar (and any seating) a gin and tonic was £10 and half a pint £4.50. Worst of all the couple split up after the honeymoon.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

My sisters wedding was so low key it was crazy. The reception was in a pub room and there wasn't even any background music, first dance, anything to do, it was just people sitting staring at each other across tables in near silence all evening. The buffet was being dished out by the caterers who literally gave us 4 chips each and no more, then the food ran out anyway!

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Not worse wedding every. But a negative thing was that the weddingnwas in a cricket club, ceremony took place outside as weather was lovely. However there was a cricket match going on at the same time, we couldn't hear the couple or the registrar. Instead all we could hear was shouting from the cricket match.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

All of them lol

1) the groom cheated on his new wife on the stag do the night before (I know I was there) and spent the entire reception hitting on other women while the bride looked like a slapped arse sucking a lemon in the corner... uncomfortable for everyone (they're divorced now... feel sorry for their kids)

2) one was in the back room of a private gentleman's club, the bride (and all female guests) had to enter the upstairs room via the fire exit and weren't allowed in the bar... ive also been to a christening party and 2 birthdays there that where all EXACTLY the same

3) one was in a workies (the same one used by the family for wakes) with no music, no entertainment, no decoration, no table plan or layout just a cold buffet made by family (very similar to what crazyratlady described)

4) the last one was actually a nice proper wedding and should of been lovely but half the guests got mortal before the wedding breakfast even happened ending in a huge brawl which result in the friend group being ripped apart and a glass bottle being smashed over a pram with a sleeping baby in :s

so basically:

* dont cheat (and hope your OH doesn't)

* pick a decent venue

* make sure women are allowed in

* have some form of plan and entertainment

* decor is good

and

* dont let people get pissed

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a 'bad' wedding but I've been to boring weddings. By boring I don't mean I need a lot to entertain me but the couple just did everything they had seen in magazines and their personalities were not reflected in any part of the day. I dislike weddings that are dull and unforgettable as the way I see weddkngs is it's the most important day of their lives and they should do what they want, not what they think is 'normal.'

• MrsHertfordshire
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsHertfordshire ·
    • Hide content

Mostly falling out is the worst I have heard of

1) At one wedding the groom was so nervous he was tipsy at the register and drunk at the meal and wasted by the evening do. The bride was livid and spent the whole time with her bridesmaids giving him flithly looks then the Buffett arrived to where she lost it and screamed at him in front of everyone he better eat something and sober up or he can forget it. They are still together she try's to laugh it off now and says oh that's just groom, he's a heavy drinker.

2) A wedding I heard about recently. The couple met online, he flew to USA to meet her and they decided to get married the following year. At the first dance after some uncomfortable tension she suddenly screamed for him to get off her and they split up there and then. In front of everyone she just hitched up her dress and walked out - everyone including the groom was stunned!!

3) Another couple my friend knows had a beautiful wedding but on the flight to the honeymoon 2 days later they mutually decided to split up!!

Make sure you talk about your marriage plans as well as weddings with your OH is all I can say!!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Most of the wedding issues I've come across have been to do with bridezilla moments rather than bad receptions so:

The one where the bride forced the groom's sister to wear the most unflattering dress ever

The one where the bride dropped her MOH as they walked into the church - mortifying for all!

The one where the bride had a tantrum and walked out of her own reception because someone stood on her train.

However, the last wedding I went to, excluding my own, was awkward because after the first dance, the bride and groom spent no time together at all. TBH, I didn't think they would last but they've been married for 6 years and are in the process of adopting so what do I know!!

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god, some of these are awful! Having read them, I think I can safely say I have never been to a bad wedding! There was one that wasn't as good as the others because a) the photos took FOREVER, everyone was just milling around waiting for food and I was really hungry, and b) when we did get to sit down for food, it was a mediocre cold buffet, salmon, quiche etc, not particularly good IMO. The food will be such an important part of it for us! Maybe the B&G just had different priorities ?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Meant to say always makre sure there IS enough food!

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

The worst one I went to as ruined by the weather. There's nothing the B&G could have done about it in some respects, but they had booked their entire wedding based on the idea of it being mostly an outdoor reception - drinks that were supposed to be on the patio and lawns had to be moved into the bar that was far too small for all the guests.

The restaurant ceiling was leaking so the staff had to re-arrange the tables and remove the table centrepieces and replace them with buckets to catch the drips!

It was supposed to be a 3 day celebration over the long weekend after the wedding day itself and days 2 and 3 were completely abandoned as they too were scheduled for outdoors and there was no contingency plans for wet weather as the hotel had other bookings in its function rooms.

So sad for the B&G, but the lesson learned - don't rely on the British weather, if you want an outdoor wedding in the UK you need to think of plan B in case of emergency.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Wow! i've never been to a bad wedding. One was a uncomfortable and the bride looked stressed the whole day but that was because her in-laws are a nightmare.

I've heard of a wedding where the b and g decided to get married as he needed a visa to be able to stay. On the day she decided not to go ahead with it. They both still turned up for the reception although they didn't talk to each other.

• Nature Bride
    Beginner August 2015
    Nature Bride ·
    • Hide content

Not been to a bad wedding as such but like Scottish Sarah I've been forgotten about food wise when it was promised that there would be veggie food. Awful when you're starving in a barn in the middle of nowhere. If that was me I'd be mortified if someone had to go hungry. Which ties in with other weddings I've been to where the buffet was tiny. I know it's an expense but feeding your guests should be one of the priorities.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We were invited to over 20 weddings last year and attended 13 or so. The hotel ones become a bit of a blur unless there is something that really stands out or unless something goes terribly wrong. My favourite are the ones where the B+G have a day that they really love and think of all their guests too.

I think that the ones which have a really long gap between ceremony and breakfast are sometimes difficult: where everyone stands around drinking while 10001 photos are taken. The young folk get a bit drunk, the kids get a bit bored, and I get a bit hungry. If you don't want anyone getting lairy during the speeches, my advice would always to be feed everyone canapes and offer soft drinks as well as alcohol if everyone will be hanging about.

Make the food nice, and it isn't just about tasting, it's about timing too. Worst breakfast ever at dear friends' wedding over 20 years ago: paid a fortune for salmon from her uncle's estate in Clackmananshire to be sent down to the midlands for the reception. Didn't communicate well with the hotel re timings: went off for 2 hour drive in open topped car for photos after the ceremony, leaving us all at the hotel. By the time they turned up the hotel manager was basically screaming at us all to get into the dining room to be served these solidified/dessicated salmon darnes. Lovely wedding apart from that, but the stress of the staff really showed and you could tell they were mortified at having wrecked all this gorgeous fish!

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

Wow some of these are amazing! Why did some of these people agree to get married?!

Not been to a terrible wedding (that I can recall) however did go to a wedding last year where we were only fed bacon/sausage sandwiches after the ceremony and nothing else all day. My OH and I couldn't wait to get home and eat something!

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness, you guys are making me feel so much better! I have been worrying that our wedding will be not as fancy as other weddings I have been to and all I want is for our guests to have a good time. From what you have been saying the main thing that makes a wedding good or bad is the people!

Phew! I can stop fretting about the necessity of starlight backdrops and whether I should make decorations to jazz up the room, we are feeding our guests and they are getting some free drinks, that seems like enough to make people happy at the end of the day!

Of course some things are bound to happen on the day that are out of our control, but I feel reasonably happy that my beloved groom and I are not likely to have a shouting match over the buffet!

I can't think of a bad wedding I have attended either. There have been minor hiccups sure, but nothing major.

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Sparty ·
    • Hide content

I recently went to one where the B&G conveniently lost their vision - or they must have done to completely leave out G's child from a previous relationship.

Not in all the photo's, not mentioned in speeches (even G's speech) where their mutual children were and not on the top table where the mutual children were. It was mortifying to watch and the poor little thing was only about 9. Lots of indignant family members by the end of dinner!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics