Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2017

Worst Wedding Fails...

Mr_P, 13 of April of 2016 at 11:22 Posted on Planning 0 9

From yesterdays question (some great replies!) we'll move on to todays -

What are the worse fails you have seen at a wedding?

I'm thinking where a B&G have tried doing something big and extravagant and its fallen flat on its face or they have provided some kind of entertainment and it's just not worked. Maybe the Best Man was boo'd from the top table after his speech or the really expensive, flashy-whizz-bang "thing" they thought was the bees-knees turned out not to be....

Let's hear your stories of woe....!

9 replies

Latest activity by Karen84, 14 of April of 2016 at 13:45
  • S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Oh, so many have been fails... from drunk guests to the groom cheating on the bride at the reception ?

the worst wedding ive been to I am still to this day trying to figure outif they spent ANY money...

a registry office small midweek wedding in the worst registry office ever then on to a free hire back room of the local workies

NO decoration unless you class carling beer mats on tables and a darts score board as decor

no entertainment although I think they brough a cheap argos CD player and one 'thats hits' CD for the first dance but it didnt work and skipped

an small iceland buffet of £1 platter trays that had been sat out for hours and some desperatly sad looking home made sandwhiches on paper party plates resting on 2 wobbly tables pushed together against the wall

a cheap shop bought cake and highstreet dress (nothing wrong with these 2 things in general but when combined with everything else it was just cheap)

invites where a phone call

no bridal party

only about 20 guests (once again not 'bad' but combined with everything else looked penny pinching)

cheap artifical flowers for the bouquet (looked like old charity shop ones)

no photographer or alternative (once again there decision but looks penny pinching)

but the most rediculous thing is I heard the spent £500 on cars (their wow factor) they only had them to take them to the registry office and everyone was inside so no on saw them ? biggest waste of money/fail ever

there was pretty much nothing at all, everyone left early because there was NOTHING to do and the awkward small talk between was actually painful but the truely shocking part... they had been planning for over 10 years ?

the reason it was a failed was just the complete and utter lack of effort, I could plan in under a day for less than £300 and host a better co-ordinated wedding, ive been to parties held for less than £100 that worked better - honestly dont know how it was possible to make something SOOO bad

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think the biggest 'fails' for me have usually been more to do with alcohol than lack of budget. I do agree tho that a lack of budget shouldn't mean things can't be done imaginatively and look great! I went to what should have been a lovely wedding. Nice venue, beautiful day, sit down meal, wine flowing, free bar. And there lay the problem I think as the people they were inviting were the type to abuse the free alcohol. We were expecting it and made our excuses at the beginning we would have to leave before the evening do. Before we left a lot of guests were blind drunk and I mean falling over drunk. The bride made a speach and was falling down drunk slurring her words by then! Bearing in mind it was church canapes and fizz in the garden while they had photos done then meal and speachesmdirectly after the main course I think that was good going! The evening resulted in more of the same and fights I'm told. Maybe it's what they hoped for and planned????

At my friend's wedding everything went beautifully until the end. They were staying at the hotel across the road and the grooms mother was screaming abuse at the bride across the street in front of everyone. She was mortified and needless to say it wasn't the best of relationships between her and her MIL after that.

Now.... Don't get me wrong I like a glass ofwine, cocktail or beer as much as the next person but really?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Ooooo MrP do I win this one! My partners friend and his intended planned the big white wedding. Spend £££££££££££. Apparently it was wonderful (before my time). Half way through the meal at the reception she left him never to return. Now that was a complete fail. They carried on the reception trying to hide there was no bride! That beats even the drunken ones. Runaway bride lol.

• NorthernLights
    Beginner November 2017
    NorthernLights ·
    • Hide content

Ohhh Jayne E, is it bad that your last one made me giggle?!?!

haha, i'm loving these forum posts Mr P!

Cant say I've seen or heard of any wedding disasters but i'm so clumsy ill probably end up stumbling down the aisle ?

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Echoing NorthernLights, I haven't seen any huge wedding fails but I'm pretty sure I'll end up as one at my own wedding.

My OH kindly told me that he'll still love me if I fall over on the day, so at least I don't have to be worried about that ha ha!

Love the threads, Mr_P ?

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I have a few although they're not as dramatic as the ones already posted! My family and friends are not very big drinkers. It's common to have an open bar in my social circle and I've never really seen anyone abuse it (although Jayne your stories are making me worry about the other guests I haven't met yet!). However, my cousin's husband is from NZ and he and his family have a different approach to alcohol. I don't remember actually seeing this at the wedding, but I guess the groom and his father both got incredibly drunk and the couple ended up getting into a fight because the bride was embarrassed. It wasn't a public fight so there wasn't a big scene, but the bride's sister told me about it later.

I went to my brother-in-law's wedding a few years ago and I guess they really mismanaged the food timeline and a lot of guests were complaining about it. I was too nervous trying to make a good first impression with my future in-laws so I didn't notice the lack of food. The wedding started at 12:30 (right in the middle of lunch time), the guests had to travel to get there, and other than light canapes food wasn't served until 5:00. A few weeks ago OH's cousin brought it up and said that her entire table was very irritated about it. She's planning her own wedding now so she was telling me how she learned from this and will schedule her day differently.

Probably the most dramatic - last year my cousin got married at a beautiful cathedral in the centre of the city. It was a Catholic ceremony so they had to kneel at the altar. While the priest was speaking I saw my cousin lean over to his bride and start whispering to her. All of a sudden she just toppled over and fell to the ground. The priest rushed through the vows and skipped his sermon. Turns out she was in the very early stages of pregnancy and didn't know it. Between the stress/excitement, her the tight lace-up corset on her dress, and probably not eating very much she just passed out.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I thought of another one! I saw a video on YouTube (although I think it's since been removed) of a falling down drunk groom trying to remove the garter. Every time he kneeled down to take it off he just fell over. The bride ran off the dance floor in tears.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well if its bad northern lights I'm bad with you. I found it hilarious and still do. After partner told me the story (9 years ago!) Every time we went out with any of his friends I kept asking them all if it was true as i thought he was winding me up! I have managed NOT to ask the guy it happened to when I met him for the first time at his next wedding tho! Aren't I good?

I had a few mishaps at oursmbut nothing drastic. Shrugged it off and if you don't tell people they don't know if was planned to be any different do they? As long as your other half is there. Lol. Sorry ?

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a family recpeption and as soon as we got there it was obvious there were a few worse for wear then my OH had to play taxi to take them home. That wasn't fun.

I've never seen any disasters...the few above did make me giggle though!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I remember at one wedding the best man was drinking from a hip flask all afternoon so safe to say his speech didn't go too well by the time he got around to doing it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics