Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner February 2010

Would a lace bolero match this dress?

Serafina, 17 of August of 2009 at 16:48 Posted on Planning 0 14

I'm worrying that my dress is a little too traditional... I didn't think I'd ever go for the white strapless look, but I did, and am now worrying that it won't fit in with my vintage theme (I've also fallen in love with Charlotte Balbier's 'Kitty' and I think I'm secretly trying to turn my dress into that one..)

Anyway, would a lace bolero suit my dress or would it be 'overkill'?

This is my dress (Maggie's Coco):

This is Charlotte Balbier's Kitty for reference :p

14 replies

Latest activity by Serafina, 18 of August of 2009 at 19:05
  • *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I would prefer it without. Think the dress has a lot of detail at the top and a lace bolero would draw your attention away from it.

Just my op tho.

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content

Lovely dress and figure! I would say it wouldn't go with a lace bolero though, wouldn't sit overly well with the silvery detail on the bust of the dress.... just my eeny weeny opinion feel free to disregard!

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Thanks,

I had a feeling it wouldnt really, but am trying to think of ways to give it more of a vintage twist. I've seen a few photos recently of brides wearing the same dress at their weddings and thought 'nice... but not different enough..'.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to say no to lace as it would snag on your beading.

However, one made from similar fabric as your dress would work and it would have to have a capped sleeve me thinks..........

thennnn u'd get away with it and it would look 1930s if thats how vintagey you want.

and your beautifully slim. Not fair.

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Hmm capped sleeves could work.. I've ordered plenty of extra fabric cause I was thinking of having a wrap/stole made with it if I don't come up with any other options.

The thin-ness is all in the fantastic Maggie corset :p I think my thin waist accentuates my broad shoulders though.. another reason I'd like to cover them up!

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps I should just go for the wrap? I could fasten it either in front or behind with a nice 30s brooch I have.

Here is a pic (wrap is in wrong fabric- just seeing the effect)

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

A wraps too sloppy in my opinion and I bet it would bug the sh!t outta ya too Smiley smile)) Its not quite got that look of elegance im afraid.....

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful dress!

I would leave the dress as it is, i think the bead detail at the top and a lace bolero might be a bit too much! The dress is so lovely that i wouldn't want to take anything away from it by adding a lace bolero if you see what i mean!

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

True- I bet it would be annoying, what with flowers and possible umbrellas, handbags etc

I also have the weather to consider though- February in Slovenia! - and a open air horse.carriage and boat trip involved. My budget doesn't stretch to cloaks im afraid and feather/fur wraps overpower me and make me look very top-heavy!

One last point of consideration, I have a number of scars on my arms. They are not anything that will particularly show on photos, but Im aware of them and guests will see them close up. It's not a deal-breaker in terms of what I will wear, but another consideration when thinking what I will feel most comfortable wearing.

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Ooh now look what I have found

-

she is wearing the same dress as I am with a capped sleeve bolero- and I really like it!

But, H2B looked at it (he's seen dress) and said 'that looks like a bit of an afterthought... and it won't keep you warm and you'll whinge' !!!

I also wondered about hair style with a bolero.. I definately want mine down, Im not a hair-up person at all. Would it go?

argh, who would have thought such a small issue could cause me so much anguish! :p

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

Any more opinions before I let this thread drift into oblivion?

I think I'm going to phone the bridal shop anyway and ask them to hold my extra fabric (when it arrives) and not make the wrap until ive tried the dress on again.

• Charliechoo14
    Dedicated May 2025 Derbyshire
    Charliechoo14 ·
    • Hide content

I do like the cap sleeved bolero but i think it may take some of the emphasis of your gorgous dress away...when I look at the photo of you in your dress I see a gorgous dress a great figure but in the photo with the bolero thats the first thing my eye is drawn to...

Thats just my opinion tho..its totally up to you...only you know what you'll feel comfortable in.

Lets us know what you decide xx Charlie xx

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

I don't mind the cap sleeve thingy that she's wearing. I don't think the dress needs it, but I see your point about freezing. I'm getting married in Nov, and have a faux fur shrug just to get me from the car, but you've already said that you don't want one of those.

If you're worried about scars, have you thought about covering them with professional makeup? We used to sell a brand called Dermablend here which was designed to cover scars.

Here's an idea. Have you thought about just getting a white winter coat to cover up with during the outside activities? Something like this:

Then you could wear it again after!

(I agree with your fiance. The cap sleeve thingy is not going to keep you warm.)

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I dont think it detracts at all and thats exactly the bolero i had in mind BUT having realised you're going to be in Slovenia at a cold time of year I'm going to suggest a fur bolero instead....

now that smacks of Vintageness! I had a fur coat for my going away outfit but in the end I never wore it........

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

AliLindsey - I have that makeup already (just mentioned it on another thread actually!) it's called Dermacolor now. It doesn't work very well on me though. It covers skin discolorations/tattoos really well but its not so good on raised scars as they remain, well, raised.

teehee- i tried on a fur cape thing today (one of those with ribbon ties at the front) and i felt a bit like Father Christmas! my shoulders are broad compared to the rest of me and fur/feathers on them seems to make me look like an american football player! But fur was my inital thought too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics