Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

panda2011
Beginner September 2011

Would you buy a wedding dress off Ebay from a chinese manufacturer?

panda2011, 5 November, 2010 at 22:22 Posted on Planning 0 16

As the title says really! I have seen a dress I love the look of on Ebay which is under £100. They make it to your measurements & they've got good feedback. However.... It is Ebay & it is a Chinese manufacturer who sends it to you direct so it won't be easy to sort out if there is a problem. My big concern is if it looks cheap instead of my being my fairy tale dress & if it doesn't fit as well as it should. Would you risk it? Has anyone done the same thing?

16 replies

Latest activity by panda2011, 8 November, 2010 at 15:00
  • S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

Cant see the item

but no i wouldnt

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

I personally would never take the risk but I'm sure there are people on here who have had good experiences from the Chinese sellers.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

[View:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140471162618&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT:550:0]

Hopefully this might work? I'm new here lol!

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

It depends! A few girls on here have bought ebay or 'china' dresses and have been really happy with the result. Me personally - if I had £100 to play with, I would probably buy it. If its a big pile of poo pants then Ive only potentially wasted £100 but if it's amazing, I've got the bargain of the century. Depends whether you can afford to throw away £100 if it turns out to be rubbish. HtH xx

• excitedbee
    Beginner February 2011
    excitedbee ·
    • Hide content

Hi, theres been lots of brides on here who have bought dresses from china and been very happy with them, i think light in the box and landy bridals are popular choices.

I recently ordered a dress from china for a christmas party that was meant to be a copy of a maggie sottero prom range dress. I really liked the designer after picking one of her wedding dresses and some of the prom dresses she does are gorgeous too - so i thought for £75 i'd try it (the real dress is around £400). It was also an experiment as i was considering getting bridesmaid dresses this way if it was a success.

To cut a long story short - it wasn't! The dress looked cheap and very different to the pics (of the real dress). However as i say lots of other people have had better luck and really depends on the site i think. But my top-tip would be to ask the company to email you a picture of an actual dress they have made of the design you want before ordering!

good luck

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

If I had £100 to throw away on the possibility it was sh!te, I'd have a bash x

• MrsBtobe1980
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsBtobe1980 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Personally i have been considering this option myself, as i dont want to spend a fortune on a dress, as i feels its not the most important item in the wedding, but others my disagree. I have been looking at websites rather than ebay, they give the option for returns if unhappy....but not for made to measure, just make sure you do enough reasearch first...try sale rooms in bridal shops as an option for a bargin dress.

Sarah

• JonCraven
    JonCraven ·
    • Hide content

I've photographed a number of brides on a budget, one of the Ebay bargins they've picked up is the dress...

I've got to say I've seen some fantastic ones... I'd say go for it!

• MrsCJ
    Beginner July 2011
    MrsCJ ·
    • Hide content

As long as the feedbk is nothing less than brilliant! Email other buyers and ask brides to show you pictures perhaps. I was going to go down that route but dress was £340 and could not risk it. Light in the box looks brilliant, bride on here flashed her dress, similar to mine but £1000 less! Wish i had took the risk. Xx

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

As others have said, for £100, it's worth a bash. My dress is from a chinese seller on bay of e, and I am very happy with it.

It can be hit or miss, but worth a shot i'd say...

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I have also looked on ebay but if you read the small print it does say (if the dress is full skirted) that the price does not include the crinolene skirts (petticoats) to make it stand out so I stayed well away from them, however, I have found my perfect dress now anyway and it is more than I wanted to pay but I fell in love with it...

As others have said though, if its only £100 it is a low risk and you, hopefully, would still have time to get something else if it doesnt turn out what you were expecting?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

mine didn't include the petticoat, so I bought it seperately (also off bay of e), for dress and petticoat, I paid a whopping £50. I paid a bit more than usual for my petticoat as i wanted/needed a black one.

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at this thread

https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/p/198825/1966458.aspx#1966458

I would recomend asapbay on ebay. x

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Some of them are beautiful and some of them when i compare the actual dress with the designer one don't look as high quality - they are nice but the embroidery isn't as detailed. I think the simpler ones seem to come out really well x

• N
    Beginner July 2011
    nikkilew5 ·
    • Hide content

Hi panda this is something i have been looking into all this year.... i have been checking forums for feedback and really looking into it. i know a couple of people who have had amazing dresses from china and after having lots of people recommend landy/asapbay i decided to go through them. i ordered 2 days ago. i did find another dress maker but didnt have enough reviews. its all down to opinion really i personal cant justify spending 1000 on a dress as have 2 young daughters.

i have had a few people send me pictures. look at my threads on my profile alot of them are about chinese dresses.

hope this helps hon x

• G
    Beginner August 2011
    gailmatthews ·
    • Hide content

I bought our dresses from a shop in milton keynes that does more or less the same thing and cheap too but with a lot more peace of mind and the quality is fantastic. I'll definitely give them a try. They are called Estilo Moda.

Good luck all!!
  • panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much for your replies. Asapbay is very interesting & has got some very lovely dresses on it! I have emailed several ladies on ebay who have bought the same dress from the same seller that I have got my eye on & they have all been delighted with their dresses & the quality which is encouraging! I have just received my fabric samples from the company I hope to deal with & it certainly seems like good quality material. I think I am going to pop to a couple of shops for a big trying on session to check I like the shape of the dress I like & also to make sure that there is nothing I prefer more than the one I have fallen for. Gailmatthews, Estilo Moda is very interesting! I'm only 40 minutes from MK so could easily pop there to take a look ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics