Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2015

Would you hire a wedding dress?

SunnyRedBridesmaid246, 14 of November of 2014 at 19:24 Posted on Planning 0 11

So i've found myself in a situation i am sure hundreds of bride-to-be's find themselves in; I can't afford my dream dress on my budget, the dress is 'Cleopatra' by Amanda Wakeley and i think is around £4000+ new. I had pretty much resigned myself to having to settle on something with in my budget (£600 Maximum) because even second hand I am looking at £2000 - £2500.

I've searched high and low and by chance a friend put me in touch with a lady who has the dress in my size and she is currently offering to hire it at £575. I am over the moon and have arranged a fitting for a few weeks time.

Although I am so excited by the prospect I still feel quite cautious and was wondering what other peoples thoughts were, and if any one else had hired a dress? Would be great to hear from you if you have!!

Thanks

Gem x

11 replies

Latest activity by Emmadream, 18 of November of 2014 at 06:27
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think I've already replied to you on Facebook! I see brides trying to sell their dresses all the time. They are usually worth about 30-40% of the new price 2nd hand. So a bride who buys the dress new and then sells actually loses more than the £575 you would be paying to rent it. Rental is a smart decision in your case!

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

If its the dress you want and you love it. I Don't see why not. If you bought a dress you'd only end up selling it or it would be in your loft.

Hiring sounds like a good idea

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    SunnyRedBridesmaid246 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Paula Smiley smile

You did indeed!! Thanks for the thoughts, it is feeling like a good idea.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

If you like it why not! I'd make sure you're clear with the lady about whether she wants you to clean it after. Would you be covered if it got damaged accidentally?

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I would, if that was the only way was going to be able to wear a dress i'd got my eye on.

Out of interest, how would it work with alterations? Is it a case of either it fits or it doesn't? That's the only thing that would bother me.

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    SunnyRedBridesmaid246 ·
    • Hide content

Good thought! I didn't ask about cleaning it, but I did check the alteration / damage side of things!

The dress is just the standard size and she said that it would depend, but as a rule of thumb it was a no (I assume because if it kept being altered it might get damaged?).

'Reasonable wear and tear' is allowed, she explained this was things like beads / detail coming off or small marks / pulled threads and that this was factored in to the price (so maybe cleaning is as well?). If i damage it beyond repair though, I.E a glass of red wine down the front then there is insurance, but I would have to pay an excess. I asked how much and she said she would find out the exact price from the insurance company. I know I will be super careful in it, its just others i'd be worried about!!

I don't want to get to ahead of myself, but I am crossing my fingers at the moment and hoping it will fit and suit me.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm interesting topic. The only things i would be worried about would be

- can it be altered to fit you like a glove?

- if youre allowed 'resonable wear & tear' people who have hired it before you have also been allowed this so what condition will the dress be in?

- i personally would be SO worriec about causing real damage to the dress it would prevent me from totally relaxing in it. The last 3 weddings ive been to, one got a fag burn in her dress, one got a tear in hers from someones heel, & one got the buttons on the back all pulled off (the train was attached to the buttons & people kept treading on her dress making the buttons pop off).

If it was me i would find a similar alternative that i can buy. Also there was something really special about trying my dress on when it came in, knowing that this was MY dress & i was the only bride to ever wear it. It actually made me cry knowing it was actually mine x

• Superhanka
    Beginner December 2014
    Superhanka ·
    • Hide content

Wow, I love this dress. Personally I'd have no qualms about hiring a dress, if it fits and nothing else will compare then go for it. Obviously you're going to be super careful and having insurance should be another weight off your mind.

Im not very sentimental so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest that it's been worn before and I had to give it back.

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    MissExcited ·
    • Hide content

Would you consider going to some bridal shops and trying on similar dresses?! I got mine at a sample dress, it was £1295 (which I could have never afforded) and a designer dress (Mark Lesley) but I bought it for £595. It's my dream dress and I am so chuffed I managed to buy it. I can alter it the way I want and don't have to worry about any excess costs. Just thought I'd offer up another alternative. You never know, you might see a similar dress for a lot less and one you can keep?

• MrsWarland2b
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsWarland2b ·
    • Hide content

My only issue would be if it fitted correctly, The fit is just as important as getting the right style to suit your shape.

I am wondering where I am going to store my wedding dress after the day, so I guess you dont have any of those worries if you are hiring the dress.

good luck with trying it on?

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

If it were THE dress, I absolutely would consider it but I'd have the same concerns about fit/ damage as others.

I don't know whether I'd be more comfortable with an individual hiring it out (likely fewer previous wearers) or a company which would have professional mechanisms etc...

It's a toughy really. But as I said, if there were only one way of getting the dress of my dreams then it would have to be an option for me.

• E
    Beginner August 2015
    Emmadream ·
    • Hide content

I have found myself in the same predicament. I had a lead on a slightly damaged cleopatra dress on ebay but it ended up being too short for me. I would totally spend the money and rent the dress. Can you let me know how this goes? I might be interested in renting as well!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics