Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hugo Brambles
Beginner August 2002

Would you (or did you) buy a second hand wedding dress?

Hugo Brambles, 6 July, 2009 at 18:06

Posted on Planning 41

I'm usually on OT but have skipped across to get opinions from you guys. I'm currently researching opening a bridal shop selling second hand wedding dresses. Would you consider buying your dress from this sort of establishment? I'm not talking old 1970's style dresses but modern, clean dresses in...

I'm usually on OT but have skipped across to get opinions from you guys.

I'm currently researching opening a bridal shop selling second hand wedding dresses. Would you consider buying your dress from this sort of establishment? I'm not talking old 1970's style dresses but modern, clean dresses in good condition. Also would you consider selling your dress to this sort of shop for a split of the takings ie maybe 50/50 or 60/40.

I'd just be interested in hearing any views or opinions.

Thank you ?

41 replies

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

Hearing what other people say makes sense, I hadn't thought about it with a business hat on!

What if you had a website which was your main method of getting clients, then you had a room in your house (done up like a boutique, not just a spare room!) with the dresses, for the ladies to come and try them on there? Would that work?

x

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

Thank you guys - I've tried to pm/email and I seem unable to do that for either of you!!?? Do you have a email address I could use? Or my email is ************@*****.*** if you want to email me and I will email you back?

Good point about why they would buy second hand rather than your sale rail.

Brides who have bought second hand as opposed to using the sale rail why did you choose to buy second hand? I would have thought that they are getting an expensive dress at a better price than a sale rail price?

• cariad
    Beginner
    cariad ·
    • Hide content

I think a lot of brides on a budget dont think of bridal shops as having a sale rail or having good priced dresses they think we are all expensive whereas this is not the case , i have mailed you so u can reply with any questions

also it is a lot harder than selling pretty dresses there is a lot of stress behind the scenes as the business grows with alts and other such things , if u saw me now owning 2 shops and knew me before i bought even the one u wouldnt recognise me as the same Cariad at this time of year , i am not saying if i looked back i wouldnt have done it because i love my job and my business and seeing so many happy brides but its knackering and getting even more so as the business grows and grows , its a reputation based industry so u have to be prepared to give it your all and not go in half hearted even if it means family , friends etc fall by the way side , harsh i know but i cant remeber the last time i saw my mates without being disturbed , i cant even have peace in the house on a weekend as i get texts and facebooked and mails etc , its driving my husband potty and he now takes my phone off me so i dont think about work and can have sometime to myself.

i will tell you all in a mail if you want but its also good that we can put a shops perspective across too as i would be a millionaire if i got a quid for every bride that says ooooh i would love your job lol, i say to some come and work here for a week but no one ever takes me up on it lol

so think on girls next time your mailing , texting or facebooking your shop at 9 on a sat night , 8 on a sunday morning with something that can wait til monday when its open again lol

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

There are some 1950s Vintage wedding dress patterns on e@bay of you wanted to get a reproduction made.

• W
    Beginner September 2009
    wedding bella ·
    • Hide content

Oxfam Bridal shops are donated samples/end of line by designers and sell them. They also sell a very small number on their site. Where the shops are is on their website. I got my dress there. They were soo nice and had a range better than any of the shops I went to. They also did shoes and accessories, donated from designers as well

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It wasn't just a matter of cost for me. I think wedding dresses can be a big expensive waste. I wanted something on a budget but also with a history you know? Who knows how many women wore it before me and for what occasion, I find this fascinating! This freaks some people out and they assume this means it's not unique in some way but I disagree.

x

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It wasn't just a matter of cost for me. I think wedding dresses can be a big expensive waste. I wanted something on a budget but also with a history you know? Who knows how many women wore it before me and for what occasion, I find this fascinating! This freaks some people out and they assume this means it's not unique in some way but I disagree.

However, I think I'm in the minority so probably wouldn' build a business around it. Unless peharps an online business - far less overheads and fitted/adjusted by someone else.

x

• Mel B
    Beginner
    Mel B ·
    • Hide content

I would've considered it if I had sat and thought properly about it before I actually bought my dress!

And BWC- I think a dress with history is awesome!

• P
    Beginner
    petitefilous ·
    • Hide content

There are a couple of shops near me that sell end of line, and ex sample dresses. I got mine from one for £350 instead of £2000.

It doesn't just have to be second hand, the place I brought my dress from, buys discounted end of line (last seasons stock is not so different from this seasons), and liquadated stock cheaply and then can still sell on and make a profit.

• S
    Beginner March 2011
    shenyan ·
    • Hide content

Hi we are a wedding dress factory in china

we can custom-made dress for you any

size any style any kinds

if you want to know more

********@*******.***

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics