Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kierenthecommunity
Beginner May 2005

would you tip workmen for a job well done?

kierenthecommunity, 5 August, 2009 at 18:34 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

I've just had my windows replaced and the two guys have done a cracking job. there is minimal mess, and they've worked their arses off while its been pretty hot

they're popping back tomorrow just to replace a pane and i was wondering whether i should tip them? or maybe buy them a case of beer each?

my other thought was obviously i don't know what they drink so maybe get them a sainsbuggers voucher each so they can go and get something after (there is a sainsbuggers just down the road from us)

wwyd? and if yes, how much? would £20 wach be ok?

i'm off out now so not ignoring any replied. TIA ?

19 replies

Latest activity by Debbie Graham Jewellery, 7 August, 2009 at 17:02
  • Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Hi Tia,

What a lovely gesture!!!!

My hubby has his own landscaping business & he often gets little "thank you" gifts from his customers. They range from bottles of beer/wine to an extra £10/£20 on top of the bill.

He has always appreciated these thank you gifts & says that its nice to feel that the hard work he has done is apprecaited by his customers

Debbie

x

• K
    Beginner
    kppics ·
    • Hide content

I don't but my H does - only if a better job than expected.

Usually around £10-£20 and generally tells them to have a drink on him.

• emma numbers
    Beginner June 2008
    emma numbers ·
    • Hide content

I think 20 quid each is quite generous, I'm sure they'll be over the moon. I gave my last lot a tenner each to get a few drinks in and they seemed please.

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

It's pretty much compulsory to tip over here, so yes, I would say tip them. It's funny, but I was only reading a site yesterday which listed 10 things a contractor won't hear from a client .. and it appears quite a few of them are on your list, so do tell them! I'll see if I can find it ..

Here you go .. 10 Things a Homeowner won't tell a contractor - common courtesy

I was actually quite offended as I always tell contractors when they've done a good job. Always. Too many cowboys out there, so when I find a good one, I let them know I'm happy. And tip them!

Oh, as for what .. money is always welcome. Make sure you give the same to both guys - just in case 😉 (it's been known for £20 between 2 men to go into one pocket only!) Beer is welcomed too, but not as much as money. I'd say no to vouchers personally.

• M
    Beginner March 2010
    M-Jay ·
    • Hide content

We normally tip about £20, sometimes more if it rounds it up to a nice number, I say "we" but it is mostly H, he is kind of a workman and appreciates tips for a good job so he likes to give them.

• Hawhaw
    Beginner February 2007
    Hawhaw ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? sorry

• bettyb
    Beginner July 2006
    bettyb ·
    • Hide content

MrB is a kitchen fitter and often gets tipped. It ranges from a few beers, to £20, to a bottle of whiskey. They are always appreciated.

Some bloke who had just come into some money once tried to give him a £200 tip, but he wouldn't take it from him. Crazy man, I dread to think how much he has been ripped off poor fella.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly what I was thinking!! ?

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

My OH quite often comes home with a pack of beers or a bottle of wine. It makes him feel special and that he knows his name will be passed on.

He very rarely gets monetary tips...but he's pleased with the odd gift or two.

He also seems to be very lucky on the food/drink front, I don't think he's had a customer yet who hasn't made sure there's always something in the fridge for lunch and plenty of cold drinks etc.

Lucky boy

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw bless! (it took me a couple of minutes I grant you). How many names can one person have - Keef/Tia....?

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

I've never 'tipped' per se, as have always paid extra for a job well done in the first place. Most people I use are self-employed, and if I'm paying more than other people, on the grounds of quality workmanship, then I think that's enough.

I'm not a rude meany, though. If people work with me, they'll be peeing incessantly from all the cups of tea I provide, and I'll often whip out the bacon butties or warm through some soup. Plus, I have literally put £1,000s of work in the path of the people we've used as I will always recommend (I always ask our plumbers, electricians etc to leave us with cards). I know I have, because some of those £1,000s have come from other family members!

Incidentally, my Dad and PIL are 'in trades' (plasterer and joiner), and both are equally positive towards the tip approach or the cups-of-tea approach.

• CBear
    Beginner April 2009
    CBear ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't really tip either. Our decorator is fantastic, we wouldn't use anyone else, but she is also more expensive than a lot of others in the area. We go with her because we know the quality of her work, but we feel we've already paid extra. We've recommended her to everyone we know, and we also make sure we provide for her very well. If we're about we're constantly making tea, handing out biscuits/food (I'll go and get them specially), and if we're both at work we'll leave plenty of provisions.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Have I missed something here???

I presumed that the person had signed as TIA, please explain what is so funny

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

TIA stands for thanks in advance. ?

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content

TIA = 'thanks in advance' ?

• Dooby
    Beginner
    Dooby ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a really nice gesture to say thank you to a workman who has genuinely done a good job at your home. When we had our house painted recently I made sure to leave out a couple of mugs, tea/coffee and pack of biccies next to our kettle so the guys could stop off for a drink along the line. They always took their boots off when they came in the house and even used to wash the mugs up after and leave them to dry on the sink drainer!

They did an excellent job and were kind enough to sign for a parcel that arrived one day they were working here. On the last day Mr Dooby gave them a bit of dosh for some drinks that weekend to say thanks and they really did appreciate it. Of course we paid the bill to the employers but it was nice to say thanks to the guys who actually put the hours in.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content

Hurumph. well they haven't come back and replaced the plane of glass. so they may be whistling for their tip...

tia ? what is it with me and people who want to change my name?

• crystal-k
    Beginner July 2008
    crystal-k ·
    • Hide content

Saw this post earlier and wanted to add a job my H did earlier this week. He went to a little old lady's house to fix a roof. She had already paid over £1,000 for another firm to fix a leak and told H he had only been there for 4 hours.

Took H two days to repair the dodgy work the previous roofer did and he charged a lot less than £1k. He didn't want to charge her anything as she was so sweet bringing out tea and food but obviously he has to.

When they finished the job little old lady came out with a fiver each for H and his co-worker as she was so pleased with the job.

They were touched.

• Hide content

HA ha ha... I bet you all think Im a right Numpty!!!

I am so not up on all these abreviations... I should know better with a teenage son!!!

?

Debbie

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics