Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2010

Wow factor ideas please?!

sam_thorne, 26 July, 2010 at 22:37 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi all,

I'm getting married in September, and now I'm starting to panic because I don't have a 'wow factor' idea for my wedding. We really wanted fireworks or sky lanterns, but the venue doesn't allow it.

Does anyone know of any fun, quirky ideas we could do instead?

Ideas we had were ice cream van...pic n mix machine...champagne fountain.

Any other suggestions would be so helpful!

Thanks guys xxx

10 replies

Latest activity by sam_thorne, 28 July, 2010 at 14:25
  • Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

You could get one of those photo booth things, they sound really fun!

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

Im going to be the wow factor at my wedding!! lol. Im having a harpist tho at the tea/coffee reception at the hotel arrival!

• S
    Beginner September 2010
    sam_thorne ·
    • Hide content

Haha I LOVE that you're going to be the wow factor! Smiley smile

We're having a string quartet for the ceremony...also was thinking of photo booths and a pic n mix machine!

But ANY ideas would be good and much much appreciated!!

x

• bringon2010
    Beginner May 2010
    bringon2010 ·
    • Hide content

:-) Hmmm.....not sure tha we "planned" wow factors, but it's the things that guests tell you afterwards that make you think "OH!!!! Right! They were impressed by THAT?!?!" :-)

Feedback from our guests:

I had "plantable wild flower" card favours (with a wee message of thanks and the dates etc printed on it)and a mini bar of organics chocolate for the ladies, the men got a mini bottle of malt... the wild flower favours were only 39p each were a ROARING sucess and by FAR the least expensive - people still asking me for them!!!

Our outside table plan was very "formal" with proper titles and full names. Inside the dining room all of place setting had each guest individual "nickname" or "pet family name" on it -from "Granny Dogs" to "Flounder" to "Wee Woman" to "Captain Cheddar".... it was apparently a brilliant (and not really intended) talking point - Matt and I just has fun doing it at the time! :-)

We threw my bouquet for the ladies and Hubbie threw my CBM's to the single men - the photos are HILARIOUS and James (who LEPT in the air to catch it) is still being ribbed about it! :-)

Our piper played "We will Rock you" by Queen as the evening guests arrived...

so... I think just make it yours, do what YOU would enjoy at someones elses... and have a GREAT time doing it!!! :-)

XXXX

• S
    Beginner September 2010
    sam_thorne ·
    • Hide content

What lovely ideas! Thank you Smiley smile

I have the favours sorted already, but I LOVE the the nickname place card ideas! We're getting the string quartet to play my favourite RHCP song as I walk down the aisle...

Because our budget isn't massive, we've had to spend ages thinking of all the lovely little touches!! Smiley smile

Thank you! x

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

Don't know if this is Wow but something I saw which I thought was a lovely idea was some branches sprayed gold (you could do any colour) and then hung from it was pictures of members of the bride and groom's family. I really like this idea as the wedding is joining the two family trees. You could do it of parents and grandparents on their wedding days or have the photos in sepia, or bright colours or have photos of the family members as children or similar ages. I thought it would get people talking as they looked at the images. It should be fairly cheep too.

• bringon2010
    Beginner May 2010
    bringon2010 ·
    • Hide content

On slightly different level, (but one which had MASSIVE significance for my immediate family)

My Granny and Aunt Pearl (sisters) had both passed away within 3 months of each other and about a year before we got engaged.

We picked my Grannys birthday (14th May) as our wedding date and there were Pearl details on my dress, on the button holes and in the flowers... my mum LOVED that she had reminders of them there during the day ... but it was only me, my sister, dad, brother, uncles and aunts who REALLY understood the significance :-)

xx

• S
    Beginner September 2010
    sam_thorne ·
    • Hide content

I really love the family tree idea! Although it's a bit tricky as we've got to have two separate weddings - an Indian one and an English one as my h2b's family don't approve!

Perhaps we could do one with our friends instead?! I did one to do some kind of photo display where the guest book will be Smiley smile

Bringon your wedding sounds so beautiful Smiley smile I bet your mum was a bit emotional!

x

• bringon2010
    Beginner May 2010
    bringon2010 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sam... glad you liked the nickname idea - it went doen a storm! :-)

It just felt more personal to me to have those elements that were family reminders there on the day without having to bang on about recently deceased relatives in the speeches (which I KNOW would have set us all off!!)

When we told my mum the date and the "pearl theme" and why we had picked them she got emotional then, but on the day itself, it was really the thought that counted and we knew why they were there and "felt" as if my gran and aunt were a part of it... hard to explain... but it felt right :-)

XXX Good luck with all the planning!!

• R
    Rustic Daze ·
    • Hide content

Hi There,

Thought I'd tell you about the little things that made the difference at our wedding in the Lake District last October and hopefully you might like a few of them.

Firstly, we had 2 classic buses (1940's) taking guests to the Church and back to the reception. We made a tape (yes, a tape cos the buses were so old!) of wedding/love songs so the guests were well entertained, especially when the first song came on and it was 'The Final Countdown'!!

We didn't have the typical guest book - we had a message 'washing line'! We printed blk/wht photos of our guests on handmade paper, placed them in a wooden box with a pen and some wooden pegs and asked guests to write their message to us on the back of their photo and peg it up on the line we'd placed across a big mirror at our reception venue.

As our venue was an old traditional pub we did a pub quiz as part of the reception entertainment. We had a photo section and all the questions were about me and my hubby or about weddings/love.

Oh, and our wedding cake was a bit different too - it was a Chocolate & Guiness cake!

I think it's these little quirky things that people remember.

Have a great time planning.

Philippa

• S
    Beginner September 2010
    sam_thorne ·
    • Hide content

Wow, they're all such wonderful idea! I especially love the message washing line!!! What a fab idea Smiley smile

What does a chocolate and guiness cake taste like?! Sounds delicious!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics