Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ostrich
Beginner April 2005

Writing a reference for a childminder. Can anyone help?

Ostrich, 23 of July of 2008 at 21:43 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

I've posted this on BT too but I know there are some fabulous letter writers on OT, so thought it'd be worth posting here too.

Daniel had his last day at the childminder's today and it was so sad. I bawled all the way there, while I was there and all the way home. I'm so sad for him because he is just SO attached to her. We've planned to still meet up at local playgroups and hopefully, fingers crossed, if I go back to work in January (if we can afford for me to go back to work!), she'll have the space to take both him and Max.

Anyway, in the meantime she's asked me to provide her with a reference, which I'm delighted to do. I just haven't a clue where to start. I want it to be a fantastic reference, I don't care if it sounds gushing, she really has been a godsend. He's been treated like one of the family (she has two teenage daughters) and without her I don't think Daneil would be nearly as advanced as he is.

Can anyone help me word it?

4 replies

Latest activity by Derrick, 3 of November of 2022 at 08:52
  • Sharrington
    Beginner June 2010
    Sharrington ·
    • Hide content

Definitely say how you feel he has been treated as part of her family and how important that has been to you.

Mention how settled and happy he is with her and as you said how you think she has helped with his development.

Other good things are food and how good it is if she provides it.

Honesty, trustworthiness, flexibility etc are all good things to put in a reference.

Details of activities they have done together - play/music groups etc - and also creative things they have done at home too.

Hope that helps a bit. Those are some of the things we look for in a nanny reference.

x

PS posted it on your BT thread also.

• Ostrich
    Beginner April 2005
    Ostrich ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much, Sharrington. That's a huge help.

• GailW
    Beginner May 2004
    GailW ·
    • Hide content

Here's a gushing one I did for my childminder 2 years ago now,

X has been childminding my son T (21 months) since August 2005. She looks after him for 3 days each week.

I have been extremely happy with the care T has received, and the great progress he has made whilst in X’s care. X’s home is always welcoming, clean and well organised and T has great fun playing with all the toys available and with the other children in her care. Beyond all this though, it is X’s warm and friendly but no nonsense approach which sets her apart from other childminders we have experienced.

She provides a wide, fun range of activities including plenty of outdoor exercise. I know T has recently enjoyed sand and water play, drawing and sticking, reading and puzzles as well as outings to the park, trips to feed the ducks and walks in the woods. Last week he decorated a plate to give to his Daddy for Father’s Day.

X is a great communicator and has no trouble in gaining T’s confidence and therefore encouraging good behaviour and kindness and compassion to others, both skills which are important to us at home. When T steps outside his boundaries she responds with firm but kind discipline explaining what we would like to see in terms which he understands. When he is hurt or feeling under the weather I know that he feels happy to be comforted by her and I am confident that she can administer either first aid or medication following all the correct procedures and completing the necessary records to ensure his health and safety.

Although I provide T’s food each day I know that she will provide healthy snacks such as fruit and rice cakes if he is exceptionally hungry or keen to eat what the older children are eating. I am also aware that X ensures good personal hygiene in encouraging all the children to wash their hands before eating and after using the toilet. I’m sure that it is this practice together with the cleanliness of X’s home which has ensured that T has remained healthy and bug free for the last 10 months.

X completes a diary detailing what T has done each day. From this I have a complete picture of his whole day including what he has eaten, how long he has slept and all his activities. This helps me to feel involved with his care and that I can talk to him about his day.

All in all I am thoroughly happy with the level of care T receives and I’m certain that being in such a positive and happy environment is helping him develop into a confident and self assured little boy.

I would absolutely recommend X as a great and reliable childminder.

Hope this helps.

• Derrick
    New York
    Derrick ·
    • Hide content

You can turn to specialized services for help.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics