Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner March 2023 Essex

Writing wedding vows uk

Amber, 27 of July of 2022 at 15:50 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 5

I am getting married on 25th March next year in Essex. My partner and I really want to write our own vows for our civil ceremony. Neither of us feel that the options given on the ceremony form are particularly sentimental or deeply meaningful to us as a couple.

It says we have the option to write our own vows and then just do the official legal wording but I don't think I've ever seen a couple write their own vows before. Aside from not including anything relating to religion or the church of England vows, are there any other restrictions for writing vows?

Can we completely personalise them?

Do they have to be a particular length?

Is it usually accepted for writing your own vows at a civil ceremony?

Can your registrar refuse personal vows all together?

Thank you in advance! Smiley smile

5 replies

Latest activity by Faisal, 17 of April of 2024 at 13:48
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    We wrote our vows for our civil ceremony - there is certain legal wording you have to include and then there was a section for us to say what we wanted.
    We weren’t told of any restrictions but did have to send them to the registrar in advance so I guess we’d have been told if they were not ok!
    Ours were just a few lines long - one side of a cue card but we really liked having our own (and enjoyed writing them) - particularly as we didn’t like any of the suggested promise wording provided! I cant see why you wouldn’t be allowed your own vows (so long as not religious/offensive/obviously unsuitable) but your registrar should be able to advise.
  • H
    Savvy October 2022 Essex
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married in Essex too, and currently finalising our ‘promises’ ready to send to the registrar this week for approval with our ceremony form!
    On the ceremony plan for approved premises in Section 7, there’s only one pre-written option for the promises, if you don’t like/want that option, you can write your own.
    We were advised that the promises couldn’t include anything religious and had to be approved beforehand (the form is required 10 weeks in advance). We’re keeping ours a similar length to the pre-written promise on the form. For the other parts of the ceremony (sections 3, 6, 9) you can choose which wording you like best for each section but as far as I know, the wording for these sections can’t be changed/written yourself, unless anything has changed since we asked!
  • A
    Amber ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's really helpful, thank you! 😊
  • A
    Amber ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding too! Okay, I'll keep that in mind when I'm writing mine.

Thanks for your advice x
  • Derrick
    New York
    Derrick ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for advice!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics