Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2014

Ww2 themed wedding

Cmhughes, 11 of September of 2013 at 17:39 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi I'm having a ww2 themed wedding, I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on centre pieces to fit in with my theme, I'm struggling a bit.

thanks

claire

12 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 11 of September of 2013 at 21:51
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Ooo, just wanted to say that if you search on the Hitched archives, you should come across the wedding report of teeheeyoucrazyguys who also had a 40's wartime theme. She even had a spitfire fly past!

• Llamastar
    Beginner April 2014
    Llamastar ·
    • Hide content

Random ideas- Could you base them around old ration books or war posters (dig for victory style)? They are pretty easy to create yourself. Or you could make some old mismatched 40's style cans or glass bottles and put some wild flowers in them? Or lots of mismatched china/ tea plates? Or even some 1940's records?

• SevenYears
    Beginner August 2016
    SevenYears ·
    • Hide content

Hello from another Claire!

We are having an aeroplane theme - centre pieces will be airfix models - what about WW2 Aeroplanes? Avro Lancaster, Spitfire or Hurricane etc?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Just make sure you haven't got any Jewish guests. Or Germans. Or Russians. Or Japanese. Or anyone who got bombed out in the Blitz...

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

How about models of suitcases with labels in the style of the evacuee labels?

I love your theme idea - so unusual!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed this is what the OP meant - a 1940s wedding.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I was wondering this too. I can't work out why you'd want to celebrate using the war as a theme.

• C
    Beginner June 2014
    Cmhughes ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have used a ration book as the menu and have a leather suitcase at the entrance with a Britain needs u poster, newspaper from the time and a flag. I know it sounds an unusual theme and may seem depressing but i like the idea of the romance of the era, I have used telegram themed invites too. I need to be careful not to go overboard though.

Thanks claire

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think any kind of themed centrepiece might be a little macabre - don't do gas masks! I'd go for for flowers and let the stationery/favours/other little decorative pieces push the theme (again, keep it light).

But what you absolutely HAVE to do is recreate that Jorgensen kiss photo Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

What about gas lamp/lantern centrepieces? You know the little portable jobs?

• C
    Beginner June 2014
    Cmhughes ·
    • Hide content

Yes I think I agree maybe a vintage type candelabra will be better.

thanks again

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I shot one of these 8 years ago and was just themed 1940s style, the fact is that any 1940s style is going to have the war element attached. We are not talking about the bullets but there are plenty of other aspects that weddings today are embracing, such as make do and mend - do it yourself and right on trend now is the barn or village hall wedding with homemade bunting people on this forum asking about straw bales- vintage buses, people today are looking at m&s cakes now for cost when back then they had a giant looking cake that was actually a decorated wooden box and inside was a much smaller but real cake, which is exactly what this wedding had. Everyone dressed up in 1940s costume that wasn't all war, one was a spiv type character that was pretending to flog nylons from his inside jacket, on his arm he also had a row of watches but the joke was that some of them were digital.I even dressed up as I had a trilby hat with a ticket with "press" printed on it tucked into the silk band and I grew a thin spiv moustache.There was even a superman as he was invented in the 40s. Cake boxes were made to look like gas mask boxes with a piece of string for a handle. A lindy-bob dance teacher was on hand to teach how to dance before the band played.Harvey's Bristol cream was the drinks on arrival and they had the meal on a steam train and at quorn and rothly station we used the original background.

On the spitfire note -it was a seperate wedding but here is a couple of shots from that wedding and also make your own model planes

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics