Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

JezVonSavage
Beginner September 2012

WWYD- Still no sign of bridesmaids organising a hen do.

JezVonSavage, 11 July, 2011 at 19:50 Posted on Planning 0 9

There is still a way off from my wedding, but I had agreed with my bridesmaids that my hen do (going abroad for a long weekend) be organised by May of this year, so that we can go in May next year, giving all of my friends the opportunity to save up and book it. It is now July and nothing has been organised.

I set up a facebook group and invited all the hens, giving the bridesmaids the opportunity to arrange something, but it's still a no go.

I've sent countless texts, emails and posted on the facebook page, but still nothing has been done. It has already been suggested that they have planned something in secret, but if that's the case it's very secret, as even my mum has had a rant about not knowing when to book time off work. Other friends have started to contact me and the two BM's, as far as I know all of the replies just say "we are working on it".

This week, a very close friend of mine suggested that 5 people go to her dad's villa in Tenerife. We won't be paying to rent anywhere, just paying for the flights, but my two bridesmaids wouldn't be included in the group (it's sort of a prescribed group because we meet up every friday night, I have a great laugh with them and two of them are my best friends whom I asked to do a reading at the ceremony because I'd opted to pick family as BM's). It was then suggested that the two bridesmaids arrange accomodation for themselves and the other hens if they decide to go, but we honestly don't think they will bother.

Am I being really impatient and a bit of a pain in the arse?? With costs spiralling for our big day, I'd really like to have this sorted by now. In a way, a bit of me is upset that my bridesmaids just aren't interested- one has just started a new relationship so is very wrapped up with that, and the other is my sister in law who clearly doesn't want me to be marrying her brother and, if i'm honest, I don't really want to be a BM at all.

Argh, I don't know what to do Smiley sad

9 replies

Latest activity by leni-lw!, 11 July, 2011 at 21:24
  • HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

If they're being awkward then do the Tenerife holiday. Sounds lovely. Could all of your hen party not stay in the villa though??

You don't have to have your bridesmaids organise it. If they're busy or not interested then organise it yourself for the ones who are interested. They'll soon wanna know whats going on!

I do think its fairly early though. I'm pricing my hen weekend for next year just to give everyone a rough idea of costs and times. Things might change nearer the time for you.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I'm with you on this one... I, too set up a FB group and only 2/3 people wrote on it...my BM's are so wrapped up in themselves they wont do one for me either... I was going to do it myself but then thought stuff it, if I'm not "special" enough for them to do this for me then I wont soddin' have one at all!!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

If I were I would organise something myself- i.e. book flights/hotel, then hand it over to MoH.

I was lucky and my friends organised me something, but my fiance wasn't. His best man actually suggested a cottage away with fishing/sailing etc and said he would organise it all (and even said that fiance wouldn't pay) but nothing happened. In the end h2b booked (and paid) for everything himself. The best man will be organising things to do over the weekend though.

• JezVonSavage
    Beginner September 2012
    JezVonSavage ·
    • Hide content

I think I will go with the Tenerife one...I'm sure that as soon as I say I've booked to go away their ears will prick up!!

KBS, I suppose I'm also upset because I feel I've picked the wrong people to be my bridesmaids. The two friends who have suggested the Tenerife holiday have been by my side for every step of the wedding planning whereas my actual bridesmaids didn't even come looking for dresses with me. it's making me want to re-think the entire day.

Do you think now is too early then?? Our main concern is that many of my friends have families so we wanted to give them as long as possible to save up. The BM's haven't even suggested that people put "x" amount of money aside to book closer to the date, nor have they suggested a date that people can put in their diaries and arrange their work/home life around.

I've been to two hen do's abroad and both were organised about 12 months in advance- at least we were given a month to aim for and a projection of cost

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think it is too early. I have opted to book mine early for the same reasons as you. I have a lot of friends that have families and other financial commitments, so we have booked and paid for the hotel in Spain for next May already(May Bank hol) We are just waiting for the flights to come out in sept/October. That way all 11 of us have been able to save and pay things off as we go, making it more manageable for everyone.

I do feel for you that your BM haven't bothered or attempted to arrange your hen weekend. My best friend (BM) has been fab, where as my sister rarely seems interested in doing any of it.

I say go for it and do what YOU want to do!

xxx

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Its not to late to change your bridesmaids or add two more ? Its your day and you should do what makes you happy!

No I don't think its too early to book but you know what some people are like. It seems ages away to some so they might not even be thinking about it yet or may think they have ages. I'd decide on a week or two week time slot for next year (Ie. 14th-30th July) that you tell people about, research prices for it, maybe even look into a few bars etc. If people have a bit more of a picture or info of the trip it'll seem more real and they'll be a bit more enthusiatic about it! Hopefully!

Hope it all sorts itself out!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

What would I do? Sack the bridesmaids, get your 2 mates in instead, go to Tenerife with your Friday night club. It's getting to the point that somethng needs doing and if your BMs won't you'll have to do it yourself.

A lot of people choose their bridesmaids far in advance, then discover that the girls in question only want the title not the job.

My bridesmaids are both 13, and one is a boy, so I'm organising my own Hen Night with a bit of input from a work colleague (who only wants to 'help' because I set her up on her hen night last year with a Mr & Mrs quiz with forfeits!).

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

TBH I would jump at the offer of the Tenerife holiday with your best friends, but I would also drop your current BMs in favour of your friends.

I started out with 4 then realised I couldn't rely on one and with 8 months to go, I dropped one. best decision I made, now I know I've got the people who have been supporting me the best and they've been great Smiley smile

• JezVonSavage
    Beginner September 2012
    JezVonSavage ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this is very much the case. My MoH is a cousin who is as close to me as a sister, and although she was very enthusiastic about the job, she has actually been nothing but a hindrence. In regards to the other one, my SIL2B, this is not the first problem I've had with her. In fact, this is the straw that might just break the camels back.

I suppose I don't want to upset anyone, but I do need help with the organisation and it feels strange to have two people help me for 18 months who then won't be with me on the morning of the wedding!!!

I think I'm going to go ahead with the Tenerife trip and leave it up to everyone else to arrange a night out in my home town. That way no one can moan, and if they don't get round to organising something I won't feel like I've missed out on a hen.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I too would sack the 2 and get your 2 best friends to do the job cos they hsave been there for you- and i would sod off to tenerife with yor friday night girlies and have a fab time ??

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics