Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Meep
Beginner

WWYDN? Legal issue....

Meep, 16 August, 2009 at 14:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 1

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise me on what to do next. Background is - at the end of April H and I moved overseas and had hired a courier company to deliver our items to us. Checked out all his details and all seemed fine. Only problem was that he turned up a day late (no contact due to supposedly dropping his mobile) and with a rather extortionate customs bill which we have since been told was excessive and likely to be him upping his fee. The problem was that he forgot to deliver one box that contained a computer monitor, couple of bits and pieces but importantly a personal, irreplaceable item. The item has no value but is very important. I got in touch and he emailed when he returned to the UK saying he had the box but it would be about another month before he was out this way, I had no problem with it and expected him around mid-June. About the 10th June I got in touch to confirm but since then he hasn't replied to a single email, text, voicemail and doesn't ever answer the phone. I've even gone as far as saying that he can keep the monitor etc but just get this one (very small and light) item to me by post. He just won't respond and I don't know what to do next. If I'm not in the UK can I instruct a lawyer? Would they even deal with it as it is a valueless item? I have emails from him saying he has it so can prove that side of it.

If you've read this far, thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

1 replies

Latest activity by tumbleweed, 16 August, 2009 at 18:05
  • feathers
    Beginner January 2007
    feathers ·
    • Hide content

I don't see why you couldn't instruct a lawyer but I have no experience of this. Do you have any legal cover with any forms of house insurance / work benefits? Could you call them to get further advice?

• T
    Beginner October 2008
    tumbleweed ·
    • Hide content

Don't you have a friend in the Uk that could pop into their office? You could write a letter of authority for them to pick your item up and then post it to you. This would help if it was sheer inertia that is stopping the company from dealing with it. When they first said they wouldn't be out your way for a while they could have posted the item, sounds like they're just not very professional.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics