Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2011

xenical/alli

superlauren321, 4 April, 2010 at 21:52 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hiya ladies

im really struggling with my weight loss, im going to the gym and swimming regularly and what have you, but the weight doesnt seem to be coming off.

i was previously prescribed xenical and didnt really take it so ive still got some left. i was thinking i may start taking it properly when iv got a week off in a couple of weeks, but was just wondering if anyone had any experiences of it that they wouldnt mind sharing? it would definately make me think twice about eating chocolate, but the thing is that with the gym most nights, working full time, and a 3 year old means that meals arent always healthy - and i know what the effects of that would be!

xxx

9 replies

Latest activity by superlauren321, 6 April, 2010 at 18:55
  • budgetbabe
    Beginner July 2010
    budgetbabe ·
    • Hide content

Absolute 100% sympathy with you!!

ive never heard anything about xenical but friends of mine have tried alli and had nothing but good things to say about it! but at £50 odd a pop from boots you would damn well make sure it worked!! (think of the advantage points alone!)

for me the only thing that works is weight watchers, its the shame of being weighed infront of someone week after week - and im sure slimming world, lighter life etc is the same. the whole points thing is good because you can manipulate it so that you can 'save up' for a day you know is coming up ie a dinner or night out - plus if you do just have a fat day in the house you can make up for it in the following days.

combined with my own rules (discussed in an earlier thread) such as

if you dont remember it, it never happened

if you havent had your 5 a day - it is perfectly acceptable to have wine in place of grapes or cider in place of apples

and eating/drinking on bank holidays/abroad/during your own or a friends crisis cannot possibly be remembered let alone counted

AND my new favourite one about the haribos (the sour ones actually burn more calories than they contain due to the facial and butt clenching actions)

Seriously though, i reckon if you combine Alli with a ww/slim fast/lighterlife or just a common sense eating approach you WILL see results, but its a bit pricey....

• L
    Beginner
    LooseLadie ·
    • Hide content

Ive been on Xenical prescribed from the doctor.... the side effects definatley aren't pretty!!

I didnt loose that much weight on them if im honest and the side effects far outweighed the weightloss. They may work well for you though so give them a go!

There are xenical/ orlistat forums online that you can read loads on.

I just couldnt handle the leaking orange oil out my bum and the wind! I didnt know whether i was going to fart or S**T my self (excuse me for being a bit common lol)

Give them a go, just make sure you stick to less than 15g of fat per meal you eat and drink loads of water. They are supposed to double your weight loss... Good Luck Smiley smile

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Lauren the only way you will lose weight on Zenical/alli/Orlistat (all same drug) is to stick to the really low fat diet. You then won't (hopefully) have the side effects Natty talked about.

The big problem is people don't get the support or the information they need from GPs they need as they don't have enough time for anyone in their clinics. Those are the people that tend to have the side effects.

The difference between the one you have been prescribed and the over counter one is yours is double strength. Keep up with the exercise and I'm sure you will lose weight. I'm a dieitian and see it in clinic all the time. x

• Allgold78
    Beginner October 2011
    Allgold78 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I agree with Natty. I used Orlistat and the side effects are nasty. They work by not allowing your body to absorb fat so if you eat fatty foods it kicks it straight out the other end and quickly!!! Alli contains Orlistat so if you aren't eating a really low fat diet they're just going to make you feel awful. Talk to your GP hun x

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Like Louise said, Weight Watchers has really worked for me too. It's pretty flexible and the odd meal out / blow out doesn't mean that week has to be a write off, you just need to make better choices the rest of the week. The only thing I struggled with with was portion size. But I am a greedy cow lol.

I started in November, 4 months after having a baby, and a couple of weeks ago I reached my goal weight, losing nearly 2 stones (26 1/2lbs).

How much do you want to lose and in what timescale?

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

This might sound familiar but the side effects are not nice at all!

BUT...... I have been on them for 2 weeks and have already lost 12lbs!

I always read the side effects before taking any drugs (these were prescribed) And everything you read is true, it's like and orange oil that comes out the other end which isn't nice but I have found that psycologically I wasn't eating high fat stuff because of the side effects! DOuble whammy!

Anyhow, i've tried EVERYTHING else and this finally seems to be working!

Just don't do anything that your not comfortable with.

• GEMINIBEBE
    Beginner August 2010
    GEMINIBEBE ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Huhh what is your secret?????!!!

Ive just started my 2nd week and the first week I lost 3lb...... which in a normal weeks weight loss terms is quite good.

Although, Ive been eating a low fat low calorie diet, not really convinced that the tablets have contributed too much? Although time of the month may be taken into account, I will carry on with the rest of the months course and see what that brings! Oily orange fat (think last nights plates covered in takeaway indian with that orange floaty stuff) seepage is part of the diet, but if you dont eat the fat, theres no point taking the tablet, its a vicious circle!!

The farting is something else..............................................

?

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

I was watching This Morning a while back and the Dr (not sure if he's a real Dr) was strongly advising against Alli, there was big links to heart problems. Then I think some people called in saying they had chest pains.

I would steer clear xx

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    superlauren321 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice ladies, and your completely right gemini...if im eating a low fat diet then surely thats what's needed.

bloody hell max hadnt heard about that, and i dont right fancy loud smelly farts in meetings at work!

xx

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    superlauren321 ·
    • Hide content

Wow well dont natalie and lisa...they're both amazing weight losses!

i think i may follow louises advice and eat sour haribos!

i just need something to motivate me...sadly im rubbish at this bit and even a wedding dress wont do that for me, so quick results are what i need to keep me going at something

xxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics