Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2011

XxX Wine & Champagne Hitchers - A Little Advise Please XxX

Mrs Poon, 12 October, 2011 at 12:17 Posted on Planning 0 10

So me and H2B are of to Majestic’s tonight to sort out the welcome, dinner and toast drinks for our reception. We are using Majestic’s as they operate on a sale or return basis which suits us fine.

I do occasionally tipple in the odd glass or three of rose (more of a pimms gal myself ?) but when it comes to white and red wine I’m useless.

I have decided for welcome drinks to go for a sparkling rose wine and for the toasts a sparkling white wine (we did initially think champagne but I have been to a number of wedding now where after the speeches most of the glasses are left practically full). So here is what I’m looking for:

Sparking rose – Something light and fruity

Sparkling white – again light and fruity

Red wine – Nothing too heavy as our meal is very heavy

White wine – Am thinking a medium that way it’s in-between

Rose Wine – Was thinking along the lines of a Grenache as I find this most refreshing

Can any of you hitchers recommend something to me like a pinot or merlot?

Thanks

10 replies

Latest activity by Ali_G, 12 October, 2011 at 15:05
  • jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I think CB used Majestic and recommended some good wines, she may be able to help you

• alocin88
    Beginner
    alocin88 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a professional, but I know what I like!! My recommendations would be as follows:

Sparking rose – Majestic do Lindauer Sparkling Rose is really nice

Sparkling white – I would go for a Prosecco

Red wine – Malbec is a beautiful red (and my favourite) best from Argentina

White wine – A Sauvignon Blanc is always a good choice and most people like it (Chilean ones are usually good)

Rose Wine – I sometimes find Grenache a bit sweet for my taste, I would recommend something like a Pinot Grigio Blush which is nice and light

The other thing is to speak to the guys at Majestic as they are pretty good and normally know what they are talking about.

Happy sampling!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went for a South African Chenin Blanc as the crowdpleaser here. Not my favourite (I like them drier and more acidic). But easy to drink and didn't give you indigestion (unlike a Sauv Blanc might) Smiley smile

Our red was a Temperanillo, a nice light Spanish red.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Pinot, pinot pinot!!!!

(Although it really depends on what food you're having!)

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Sparkling rosé - Bird in Hand, no question. Yummy Australian wine, but a bit pricey

Sparkling white - we had prosecco, think it was called La Luna Argenta, and that was very nice indeed.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

What is your menu?

Majestic do have a decent selection of all of those.

For your sparkling white I'd recommend Deutz which is NZ version of champagne. You get a lot of fizz for your money. Light, refreshing and dry. I can't help with the sparkling rose as the ones I tend to like are upwards of £30 a bottle so unlikely to be ideal if you need to buy in any quantity.

White - we matched ours to our menu but in terms of general quaffability I'd second the recommendation for a SA Chenin Blanc. Lighter than a Sauv Blanc (my favourite) but something different to a pinot grigio which are often variable in quality over here (the chardonnay of the naughties!).

For your rose, I'd be inclined to go for a pinot grigio blush if your budget extends. Likely to be a bit more refined than a grenache (I tend to find these are often a little too sweet for me) but consider your budget.

The red will depend very much on what you're eating. I love a malbec but the good ones are expensive. Our general drinking reds were primativo, tempranillo and a merlot. We served a pinot noir with our lamb.

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Guys x

Mrs CB,

Our menu is as follows:

Starter - Parma Ham wrapped around Motzarrela Ball sat on christini bread glazed with a sweet chili sauce.

Main - Good old east end pie & mash served with gravy and liquor

Dessert - apple / rhubarb crumble & custard

Have you any more suggestions going on this? Thank You

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Assuming this is beef? Likely using a red wine to make the sauce - this might help you decide?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, a toughie. I'd go for a light white for the first part, either a pinot grigio or chenin blanc but the sweet chilli is the tough part. I was always taught to match the wine to the sauce if it's strong so in that case I'd go for a muscat, riesling or even a guwurztraminer. Overall I think I'd go for a pinot gris. Best of both worlds. To be perfectly honest, I'm sure people would be happy with a light white to match it. I'm just being a bit pedantic, because I can, and I'm spending your virtual money ?

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pinot Grigio is my favourite too, i'm very fussy with white wine and much prefer it over a blanc of a Chardonnay

as fpr red id go for a merlot... then again some merlot's can be rather heavy

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me tooooooo!

Ogio Pinot Grigio is my favourite, although quite expensive I think!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics