Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharv
Beginner March 2012

YAWN - measuring for stair carpets

kharv, 5 of January of 2014 at 22:29 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

If I was to have one continuous piece of carpet all the way from the top of the landing to the bottom of the stairs - I need 10m of length. However, I only need 1.3m of width.

Most carpets come in widths of 4m and are priced by the square metre - so to get 10m in length I'm going to have to pay for 40m2 when I really only need 20m2 at most.

Can I buy 5m of a 4m width carpet and have a join half way up the stairs, using the other half of the 4m for the second half of the stairs?

I'm probably being really dense but when I google 'measure for stair carpet' it seems to suggest it should be one continuous piece?

I'm being a moron, aren't I?

12 replies

Latest activity by leni-lw!, 6 of January of 2014 at 19:47
  • Meltdown
    Dedicated September 2021
    Meltdown ·
    • Hide content

I think that our stair carpet is cut for each individual stair, but cant be sure. if this is the case it is much easier & cheaper.

are you getting someone it to measure for you? they usually work it all out for you, or did for us. We were left with a few strips that can b used to replace damaged stair carpet pieces (allegedly)

• Meltdown
    Dedicated September 2021
    Meltdown ·
    • Hide content

I have just been and had a close look at the stairs. I am sure there is not a fold at the bottom/back of each stair, I would say it is cut. I guess it depends on the type of carpet and whether there is a patten. Ours is plain.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm wanting stripes, ideally!

I wonder if having each one cut would increase fitting costs? I have no idea! Ha!

I'll get someone round to measure and quote eventually but we're right at the beginning of our 'get the house on the market' project so I'm just trying to budget at the minute.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Kharv I don't have a picture but in the house I lived in till I was 4, my parents couldn't afford full stair carpet so they got offcuts and had a different colour per step - I recall it being really rather funky!!

But that aside, I think your theory is a good one - no harm in getting someone to measure though, no matter what early stage you are at. Good customer service would tell them to be good to you now because you'll remember them then when you actually come to buying (or you just lie about what stage you're at!!)

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Do you need carpet, could you paint them then just have a runner? Presume these are sold specifically in narrow widths? I've seen stair carpets with a sort of pattern at the edges so they must make specific stair carpets.

What's on them at the moment?

• Meltdown
    Dedicated September 2021
    Meltdown ·
    • Hide content

Fitters charge more for stairs than a flat floor anyway. I would pop into a carpet shop and ask. If they are

not helpful then at least you know not to go back there when you aee ready to buy.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I've just had a close look at our stairs (what I do to avoid leaving for work!) And it looks to me like each is a strip that's then 'tucked in' at the top so it looks neat and continuous. Would need slight longer for each stair to allow for cutting etc

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately we do need full carpet - the stairs aren't much cop underneath. It's full carpet at the moment. Horrible red/orangey type stuff that was there when we moved in.

I will get someone round but we have a million things to do before then - including plastering the whole hall, stairs etc. Urgh.

Thanks everyone - I think I'm going to base my budget on being able to have joins - it looks a lot more purse friendly that way Smiley laugh

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

You CAN buy stair carpet to fit i believe and not have billions of offcut. Mummy Flow got one

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Is it literally just the stairs you need? Not the hallway or landing too? Because that would use up the other half of your 4m width iyswim?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm including the tiny top landing in the 10m. We don't need the bottom landing as that's going to be tiled.

• Polka Dot Penguin
    Beginner
    Polka Dot Penguin ·
    • Hide content

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

One of the parents at the nursery is a carpet fitter and when I asked him about redoing my landing/stairs they tend to cut it half way anyhow to fit it properly and then join it up.. I couldn't tell you where the join is in mine..

p.s google carpet auctions in your area I went to a carpet auction got a 36ft roll that did 2 double rooms and a box room with plenty of offcuts for £180 incl the auction fee.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics