Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

Yelena Isinbayeva - Ambassador for the Russian Olympics

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 16 of August of 2013 at 11:33 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 26

She's urged everyone to respect Russian laws re: illegality of info about homosexuality, failure to recognise gay-bashing as discriminatory.

Of athletes who competed in the current World Championships in Moscow with rainbow-painted fingernails, she said:

'It’s disrespectful to our country, disrespectful to our citizens, because we are Russians,' Isinbayeva told a news conference in English. 'Maybe we are different than European people and people from different lands. We have our law which everyone has to respect. When we go to different countries, we try to follow their rules. We are not trying to set our rules over there. We are just trying to be respectful...If we allow people to promote and do all this stuff on the street, we are very afraid about our nation because we consider ourselves like normal, standard people. We just live with boys with woman, woman with boys.'

Is it a fair point? Or should an official ambassador for an Olympic Games keep out of this stuff? Is this homophobic (are gay people NOT normal or standard)?

26 replies

Latest activity by AmnesiaCustard, 18 of August of 2013 at 08:28
  • Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I think Russia's laws on homosexuality are disgusting BUT I tend to argree with her on this. You wouldn't go to a deeply islamic country and expect anything different. We would expect people to visit the UK and abide by our laws whether they agreed with them or not.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Of course she can't get up in arms about people attempting to highlight the disgusting stance they've taken on homsexuality. We are of one world. They have to accept that by competing in things like 'World Games' you leave yourselves open to the customs and cultures of those other countries.

We are no longer little pockets of politics untouched by the outside world. We live closely alongside one another now due to modern technology and in particular, social networking.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Well if that is their attitude than perhaps the Olympics shouldn't be held in Russia?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Agree with LP. A law is a law.

Is she being homophobic though? She's just talking about the country in general, and the rules of the country - she isn't saying she agrees with the law, just that people should obide by it.

Which, that part, I agree with.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think the charge of homophobia relates to her rather casual suggestion that 'normal, standard' people are heterosexual.

• Twiga
    Beginner April 2012
    Twiga ·
    • Hide content

If Russia want the 'glory' of hosting the Olympics then they have to accept that the country will be scrutinised - if that concerns them then don't host the Olympics... Yelena Isinbayeva can't have it both ways!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure it's worth her insisting people don't wear rainbow nail varnish, or that it would stick as a crime. I agree that if people are promoting homosexuality, and that's the law they've passed, they have every right to take action. But they might want to be a little more circumspect than that.

And yes, I think her attitude is homophobic; it's clear that girls with girls and boys with boys is not normal. Therefore homosexuals are abnormal.

I wish it could be moved. We'll have it here?!

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

You can't really prevent nations from hosting a games just because you don't like their stance on a subject. Or China would never have got the Olympics. I'm not sure if there wasn't something lost in translation. I'm now dealing about 60% of the time at work woth people from all over the world whose first languages aren't English and what she said didn't actually make sense, or at the very least is open to interpretation. For that reason, until there's a full translation from Russian, I'm not getting excited about it.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

You could go as far as saying that gay spectators don't have to go to the Olympics in Russia if they don't feel comfortable with their laws. But what about gay participants? They shouldn't have to either give up their dream and not go, or feel discrimanated against if they do. That's my issue.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Different POV:

In October 1996 the Taliban introduced laws in Afghanistan that women could no longer be educated and could not leave the house without a man accompanying them. If the Olympics were being held there that year, would you say, well it is their country we should abide by the laws and not allow women to compete without a male chaperone? If anyone competing showed any support for women being educated they could be arrested?

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

I don't believe that we should have to be accepting of the laws of other countries if they are being used to actively discriminate against or cause undue harm to a group of people. I will always respect other people's religions/customs by covering up in certain locations etc, this is completely different.

She says all Russians are 'normal' (ie not gay) which is untrue. There will be roughly the same proportion of gay people in Russia as there are elsewhere in the world. They are just treated differently as a result.

Another issue I have is that this is a recent law and the country seem to be taking a massive step backwards. Sorry if this fits under 'Godwin's Law' but I think interesting parallels can be drawn between this and the Berlin Games of 1936 that Hitler used as a soapbox. Discrimination against Jews hadn't hit its peak then but they were being treated appallingly. We all know what happened next. Stephen Fry's open letter on the subject was very interesting.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I wanted to say but after yesterday I wasn't risking it?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd like to think that a bit of common sense would come into it and that the Olympics would have been abandoned. Rather abandon an event, than break the laws of a country just because it doesn't suit everyone, IYKWIM.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That makes it sound like it is about people disagrreing over shades of white for a wedding rather than discriminatory laws?

But yes this is what I think should happen, the Olympics should be abandoned or moved.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, bad choice of words. Obviously it's more serious than a simple disagreement.

I suppose I just think it's a big arrogant to have the mindset of "well, I don't agree with your law therefore I'm going to stick my middle finger up to it and do what I want."

Am struggling to articulate what I mean, but I hope you understand my ramblings.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But it isn't a law saying people can't ride bikes on a Tuesday and meaning that cyclists have to re-organise their lives. It is suggesting that approx 1 in 10 people aren't 'normal' and should lie about their lives. I don't think any LGBT person is doing it just to annoy another country. They haven't chosen a way of life, they just are and they shouldn't be discriminated against because 9 out of ten people are different to them.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I know that being homosexual isn't a choice, but painting their nails in rainbow colours was.

I don't think I'm making much sense. ?

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

The Russian Government. No question.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

*is bursting with the desire to make another Nazi Germany comparison*

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do it.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

Timeline of anti-Jewish laws passed in Nazi Germany: https://www.bl.uk/voices-of-the-holocaust/themes/life-in-germany-and-europe-under-nazi-rule

I don't believe we should ever just say "well that's their law, we should respect it". Not when it's blatantly discriminatory.

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

Scary stuff.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I'm unsurprisingly on the competitors side on this one. It takes people making a stand and protesting (even if that is just through rainbow coloured nail varnish) to make leaders take note and make a change.

I think it is pretty shocking that Russia can even be considered for the Olympics with such Laws if I am honest.

Why should gay competitors be made to feel like second class citizens or risk arrest if the travel to the games with their partners?.....

Watching the men's gymnastics should be interesting.....

• Sange!
    Beginner January 1997
    Sange! ·
    • Hide content

What I'm struggling to understand a bit is that this is news. One oif the (Russian) gilrs at wirk is saying that it's been like this for years, but the 'West' has turned a blind eye.

Also, she had another valid point, I think. The gymnast was hardly going to go on telly in Russia saying that the law was a load of crap, was she? She'd have been arrested.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

My favourite (possibly slightly paraphrased) quote...

"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics