Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner November 2013

York Registry Office & Restaurant/Reception ideas

Blondie28, 20 March, 2012 at 12:31 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi All

So i've been engaged for over a year now and the sum total of my wedding plans - errrrrrr zilch! ?

I've been having a look at various hotel/hall options (neither of us are religious so church is out) but they all just work out too expensive.

Therefore i've come to think that a registry office is the way to go and i was thinking of looking at the one in York (i live in Manchester but thought it would be nice to get married in a pretty place like York) - has anyone got married there? I believe there is a room called "The Bootham" room where you can have 50 guests and that would be ideal for us.

I was thinking of trying to book the wedding as late as possible on a Friday (thereby cutting out the need for a reception & evening do) and then following it up with a reception/meal somewhere nearby - does anyone know of anywhere fairly reasonable that you'd recommend?

If anyone has any recommendations at all it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lisa

8 replies

Latest activity by linzie34364, 17 April, 2012 at 21:27
  • V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

Hi;

I went to uni in York and there are some lovely places.

I am not sure from your post as to whether you want somewhere just for a meal or whether you want somewhere you can dance too in addition not sure on the time of year you're getting married however we had a few really good events on boats on the river.

Alternatively another fab venue is Merchant Taylor's Adventurer's Hall - however this is quite big so with small guest numbers this may look slightly odd - however it would give space to dance.

The Royal York Hotel is also really nice but again not sure on their minimum numbers.

I am struggling to think of any more as I graduated nearly five years ago but I am jealous of you going to York to get married. Me and my OH met there but with us living in London but being from Leeds and North Wales respectively we thought adding another destination to the equation was out of the question.

x

• J
    Beginner May 2012
    Jolene2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lisa

I'm getting married in York Register Office in May as we live in York. We're having the large room for the ceremony and have been for a look round, it's very pretty and after the ceremony you go out into a garden at the back for photos.

There are loads of lovely restaurants/hotels in York for a reception afterwards but without knowing your budget can't really recommend anywhere. The post code for the city centre is YO1 if you want to google for ideas

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

We went for Marmadukes Hotel in Bootham. It's a hotel but kind of like a big house which we will book out just for the wedding party. Prices aren't too bad and are all on the site. Max is 50 daytime guests though if that's not too few for you? Location is 10mins outside the City walls. They are booked out the 5th Aug though ;-)

Originally we wanted something more chilled so were going to do a registry office then Lamb and Lion for pub food but you know how ideas may start like that and before you know it you're in the Minster!

• LeedsBride
    Beginner September 2012
    LeedsBride ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine got married at York registry office and had the reception at the Monkbar Hotel, it was quite nice and not too big if you're having a smaller wedding.

• hopkins78
    Beginner November 2011
    hopkins78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We got married at Marmadukes last November!!!

It would be possible to get married at York Reg Office then have an evening party at Marmadukes as it is just down the road. However they didn't charge us to get married there (no hire fees) so we spent the whole day at the venue.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Blondie28 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

To be honest we are probably looking for somewhere were we can just have a nice meal and drinks - dancing isn't a neccessity as i think we'd probably have a bit more of an "evening do" a bit closer to home after the event.

Thanks for the suggestions xx

• hopkins78
    Beginner November 2011
    hopkins78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Marmadukes would be ideal for you in that case. We didn't have dancing. We had our ipod playing through their system in the background and they have 2 lovely lounges designed for chilling out! Our whole event was relaxed and easy going and everyone said that they enjoyed the venue for exactly that purpose! Check them out - https://www.travelooce.com/hotels/hotels-in-york/

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey, I sent a friends request as I have a few venue related questions. Not sure it went as the screen stayed on the same page. Would you mind giving your popinion about a few things since you used the same venue?

• L
    Beginner October 2013
    linzie34364 ·
    • Hide content

Loving this thread! Its exactly what im looking for Smiley smile Thanks everyone! We were looking at a midday wedding....proving to be a problem in terms of entertaining guests on our tight budget without paying a fortune x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics