Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2016

"You may now kiss the bride" - no longer happens??

Little_MrsA2B, 5 of April of 2015 at 20:03 Posted on Planning 0 19

Ladies, please help settle a 'discussion' my H2B and I are having... He says at the end of the service the vicar/registrar/etc no longer says "you may kiss the bride". Is this true? I havent been to a wedding in a couple of years but all the ones I've been to have. His brother said he went to a wedding in February where they didn't say it.

I'm confused! To me that's a really important part. I'd be a bit gutted if it wasn't part of the ceremony. Has anyone had this?

19 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 13 of April of 2015 at 11:49
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It's happening when I get wed on Wednesday.lol xx

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Happened for us! But our minister did send us the ceremony to personalise so I s'pose if we hadn't wanted it we could have asked for it to be taken out. Not that I ever would! Smiley smile

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Didn't happen for us - we forgot to wait for it ?

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

If you want the registrar to say those words then you can ask them, but you don't need the words because it will sort of build into a crescendo and you wont need the actual words something like along the lines of "you have sealed your commitment to each other with the giving and receiving of rings and before me and your witnesses and your gathered friends and family it gives me great pleasure to announce that you are now joined in matrimony as husband and wife" ---- big cheer/ clap- "the kiss"

I think some registrars and priests have steered away from saying it in fear of it sounding cliché

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Didn't happen to us either, and I didn't even think about it either.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I think its actually an American tradition & not something that priests/ registrar's do here unless it's requested.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

We had it at our wedding. H is not keen on PDAs, but my uncle (our minister) asked at the rehearsal whether we wanted to or not and H surprised me by saying yes. Just ask your minister or registrar if you want to be sure.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our minister includes it in his standard order of service. You would have to ask for it to be taken out.

• Grace@PEP
    Beginner November 2018
    Grace@PEP ·
    • Hide content

We had a civil ceremony and it was stated at the end, we hadn't asked for it specifically though so I think it must depend on the registrar or clergyman that is performing the ceremony.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

Our vicar told us he wouldn't be saying it. "as it'll be obvious when you're supposed to do it"!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Is it really bad that I can't remember whether it happened or not?! We certainly did kiss though and everyone clapped/cheered, but I can't remember if they said the words!

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

We were married in the Anglican church and the vicar had us do it twice!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

In our experience it tends to be religious ceremonies where it isn't always said. We've been "warned" by a few of our couples that it wont be said so we know when the kiss will be coming (or not, if they've chosen not to kiss)

As far as I can recall, most civil ceremonies do still include the line, but not always those exact words. Often it's a bit less formal. Something along the lines of "It's my pleasure to announce that you are now officially husband and wife. You may want to give your new wife a kiss!"

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

I had it in my wedding 25 years ago and most of the couples I have written ceremonies for have had something similar. It's entirely up to you x

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

The CofE wedding I recently went to didn't have it, or anything to formally declare them man and wife.

They started with the vows, then a hymn, a reading, another hymn, another reading and then the witnesses were called to the back room to sign the register and then we all walked out in procession (I was a witness).

There was nothing to actually say 'your now married' I was a bit surprised!

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

All the weddings I've been to have included it - or should I say my dad always includes it when he takes a wedding, because most of the weddings that I've seen were in the church choir as a child! It's the sort of thing that I imagine would be 'optional', in a way? I'm not sure if it's actually technically written into the CofE Common Worship marriage service (or BCP), or if it's just something that has become tradition at a certain point.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We had a civil ceremony and it was an option on the form our registrar gave us for the ceremony wording.

• B
    Beginner June 2015
    Brooksy ·
    • Hide content

I've been to quite a few weddings recently and they have all included this in one way or another apart from my cousins Catholic ceremony where the vicar(? preist? not sure!) said 'in a catholic church we dont pronounce you man and wife and we dont say you may kiss the bride, but you are, and you may!!' and everyone had a little giggle. Maybe the wedding that your OH brother went to was a catholic service? Or the couple took it out of the ceremony. But I would check with your officiant to make sure it is definately in your service if you want it.

• Kamila27
    Beginner April 2016
    Kamila27 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so glad somebody started this topic. I would like to have that phrase and no I know I should specifically ask for it Smiley smile

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a good example where there could be a "rule" or a given norm but each vicar will do things differently, its the same with the question of who gos down the isle first, bridesmaids or Bride

is the register signed in the vestry or on a table at the alter or to the side,

is the register signing right at the end or is there another hymn then final prayer after,

does the vicar warn the groom that any smell of alcohol on his breath he wont marry you - or is he in the pub before with the groom.

I am always ready for the "kiss" but on the rare occasion it dosent happen, it dosent quite feel right, sometimes in a civil ceremony I have seen the bride and groom have quick sneaky peck when they 1st meet each other at the top of the isle

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics