Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Eboni
Beginner July 2024 Derbyshire

Young wedding

Eboni, 22 of July of 2023 at 04:18 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Hey, so I'm a little young to marry by today's standards (legally I'm not too young) and I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to deal with criticism, the nagging and such. It went from a secret wedding to a small proper wedding next July.

Both me and my partner will be 20 when the wedding takes place, and we will of been together almost 5 years. We know we're ready and want to, but by today's standards we're a bit young. I just wanted to know if anyone has been through or is going through the same thing.

6 replies

Latest activity by Eboni, 28 of July of 2023 at 14:58
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The criticism and nagging will be there however old you are when you get married, because that is what criticisers and naggers do! I was in my 40s when I got married, and I still had loads of it!

Don't get drawn into arguments or explanations - it just gives people a reason to continue the discussion.

When people are nagging me, I find it helpful to come up with a one-line response. Whatever they say on the topic, that is what they get, and you then move the conversation on. It is helpful if you discuss this with your OH so that you are both saying the same thing to the naggers, as this presents a united front.

• Eboni
    Eboni ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks, I like the one line idea. I know it'd annoy my family, but it'd be better than their backhanded and sometimes rude comments on what I choose to do. It makes sense that it doesn't matter the age, heard loads of stories of family members taking over, interrupting ceremonies etc. Thank you.
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Not young at all! Almost traditional and ‘old fashioned’ - it was the norm to get married at 18/19. Your family should be proud.
  • Eboni
    Eboni ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I hope when they calm down they are. My grandparents got married at 19
  • A
    Savvy June 2023 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content

My mum was 20, it was completely normal in the early 80s anyway to marry late teens/early twenties. There are lots of reasons why this is now much less common but it absolutely doesn't make it wrong.

• Eboni
    Eboni ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I don't see why everyone gets flack when they marry young nowadays, it's a choice and it works out for alot of people.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics